Direct auto finance

Hi,

Some advice needed; I have been chasing up yes car credit/DAF for quite sometime now, to cut a long story short, they sent me an offer and an acceptance form for £4241.10 on November 22nd 2017, A’s I was in Germany serving with the MIlitary at the time, I filled out the form when I returned to my home at Christmas and sent if off accepting the offer, I have just got home again to the Uk expecting a cheque or some kind of payment.... nothing. I managed to get hold of someone who represents DAF today, the lady on the phone explained to me that they lost the acceptance form and that DAF has sold the debt to somebody else and that I will now be offered a new payment of £59, when I said I’m not exactly happy with this, she just said that she knows it’s quite a drop in figures, And that all will be explained in the post this week and that if I do accept the £59 it will take around 1 month to receive it, can somebody please inform me of the correct path to take in order to pursue this further.

Thanks

Matt

Comments

• If the debt has been "sold on", it sounds as if there were arrears or default on this account and they are offsetting these against the redress you were offered. They are allowed to do this, I'm afraid, even if they have only realised it after they awarded you the full redress and you won't be able to "pursue" this. You'll have to wait for your explanatory letter to confirm.

It does normally take around a month or more for the money to reach your account.
  • Matt0697
    Matt0697 Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 21 February 2018 at 3:58PM
    Thanks,

I actually had to give the car back as I couldnt afford it, my own fault I know but I had to pay the full balance back regardless, I dont see how this could be right.
  • Matt0697 wrote: »
    I actually had to give the car back as I couldnt afford it, my own fault I know but I had to pay the full balance back
    Did you actually pay the full balance back though? Was there interest or other monies written off as part of a final settlement? If so, they are allowed to offset this money against any PPI redress awarded.

I also doubt that they'd be saying the debt has been "sold on" unless there was still money outstanding..
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,296 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    If you paid every penny that was owed and there was no reduced agreed settlement figure, then the redress should come to you.

If the settlement figure was reduced then they can offset it. Debts do not get sold on if they are paid in full.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Thanks,

I’m pretty sure I paid it all off in full, I guess I’ll wait for this letter, wonder why they would offer me £59
    Not holding out any hope to be honest.

Thanks for helping
  • How did you get in touch with direct auto finance? I’m actually trying to get in touch with them to repay a debt from 2006, that I defaulted on, it became a CCJ, and then an interim charge on my property. I’d like to get the charge removed so I want to make them a full and final settlement. I haven’t paid them a jot since 2005(!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure