Paragon Bank HSBC connection?

I have received the paperwork to open an ISA with Paragon Bank and was a bit suspicious to read this in the section regarding the bank sort code for transferring funds in - 'this may show up as HSBC, we partner with them to provide access to payment services'. Is this legit?

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,995 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Yes, a slightly fuller version of the explanation is published on their website under the payments section at https://www.paragonbank.co.uk/FAQ:
    This may show up as HSBC - don't worry, we partner with them to provide our customers with access to payment services such as faster payments and BACS. Your money will reach us and then your account.
    Various smaller players use the main high street clearing banks for such purposes, which will often mean that faster payments will be processed on a 'next business day' basis rather than the quicker handling when shifting money between direct participants of the FP scheme....
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Is this legit?

Much in the same way that you use a bank to hold your bank account, Paragon use HSBC for theirs.

It is very legit and quite normal. Until relatively recently, most building societies used to use the clearing banks for clearing duties as they themselves were not cleaing banks. Some still do. Being a bank does not automatically make you a clearing bank
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Aged
    Aged Posts: 431 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    OK that makes sense, thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business