Changing from Virginmedia to BT

Absolutely detest VM, willl be leaving them in 3 months. Thinking of going to BT for phone, broadband and the TV. Just wondered what was everyone’s thoughts on the broadband speed and reliability of there top tier broadband?

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Not sure what you mean by top tier ??
    BT infrastructure not as reliable or as high speed as VM .
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Bts U.View box is rubbish compared with the V6 box, slow and clunky.
  • After 15+ yrs with Virgin I'm now going to move to BT. Rang VM to negotiate a new price (after 50% bump up) but no real movement even in disconnections dept.
  • JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean by top tier ??
    BT infrastructure not as reliable or as high speed as VM .

I mean their fastest broadband, think it’s called Fibre Max? Our broadband is horrendous with VM. Constantly cutting out. The 4G on my phone is more reliable.
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    In our rural area which only got fibre last year the BT Infinity 2 signal is steady and reliable as was Infinity 1 (a couple of very occasional cut outs lasting no more than 3 or 4 minutes and usually after heavy rain). It will be the year 2525 (if man is still alive) before VM reaches the area.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I mean their fastest broadband, think it’s called Fibre Max? Our broadband is horrendous with VM. Constantly cutting out. The 4G on my phone is more reliable.

BT Fibre 52 meg and 76 meg .
    That will be an up to figure and depend upon the condition of the BT cable in your street .
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,071 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    BT Fibre 52 meg and 76 meg .
    That will be an up to figure and depend upon the condition of the BT cable in your street .

Although condition is important, distance from the cab is the biggest factor in the speed achievable , after all a cable defect can be rectified, the distance to the cab is fixed
  • giraffe69 wrote: »
    It will be the year 2525 (if man is still alive) before VM reaches the area.
    Cable has always been (and will remain) a town and city business. There just isn't any profit in providing cable services to rural areas because of the exorbitant cost. Only densely populated areas have the potential to return such a profit.

Prior to Virgin, many of the local cable companies were bankrupt by the cost of cabling city streets. Even today Virgin owes literally £billions as a direct result of the huge investment in infrastructure.

So I doubt even 2525 will see Virgin reach your area! :)
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    pts56 wrote: »
    After 15+ yrs with Virgin I'm now going to move to BT. Rang VM to negotiate a new price (after 50% bump up) but no real movement even in disconnections dept.

VM only really start negotiating when you actually put in your cancellation. Have you done so? Have you ordered from BT? I have put my notice in recently to VM and in the process of hopefully negotiating a deal to stay. Some people have commented that by ordering from BT to transfer the phone number, this can prompt a better deal from VM. Does anyone have experience of this? And if yes, how quickly do BT contact VM to transfer the number? I have less than three weeks until my VM services disconnect ...

Many thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport