why are you into investments?

Comments

• ValiantSon wrote: »
    Primarily it's just a practical thing. My aim is to increase my wealth with a clear eye on retirement. I do, however, find it all quite interesting, so that keeps me looking at it and talking about it.

I suspect most of us are simply motivated by the desire to use honest means to ensure a comfortable retirement. And it is interesting too, as you suggest.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,652
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Yeah, I was also motivated by greed. :)

It's strange when you become a parent how your personal greed goes put the window and you realise that you are just alive for now as part of a chain of events. A few years ago I was a lot more selfish than now. I no longer really think of my money as belonging to me and it seems natural to assume a fair chunk of it will not get spent in my lifetime but be passed on to others.
  • TheLastMongoose
    TheLastMongoose Posts: 96
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 17 February 2018 at 12:59PM
    I spent my childhood watching my parents wasting the massive wealth they were earning and ultimately getting battered by debt as a result of poor decision making. In all honesty I think my financial prudence is a little OTT as a result.

I work in the NHS so I know how short life is and I often think "It's only money, I shouldn't care." I think my NHS experience would win me over if it weren't for the fact that I just love (and I'm slightly good at) trying to win in this game of free market economics we are living in.
  • I want to be rich.
    Do you hear me?
    RICH!

:D

I was fortunate enough to achieve FI/RE without even realising it a few years ago.
    Now my aim is to keep going.
    I already have the life I want but my Nephew and Niece are my heirs so I want to be able to leave them (or their families) in a position that makes it easier for them to achieve as well.
    Hopefully at a younger age than I was, while they can be stupid with it and have a bit of fun.
    :)
    2016 : Realised £103,000.00 savings (banked)
    2017 : Realised £97,000.00 savings (banked)
    2018 : Realised £ savings (banked)

20.4% avg annual portfolio growth since 2004.

Retired 17:30 hrs, Friday 30th September 2016, aged 56, and luvvin' it!!
    :beer:
  • ArmyDilllo wrote: »
    I want to be rich.
    Do you hear me?
    RICH!

:D

I was fortunate enough to achieve FI/RE without even realising it a few years ago.
    Now my aim is to keep going.
    I already have the life I want but my Nephew and Niece are my heirs so I want to be able to leave them (or their families) in a position that makes it easier for them to achieve as well.
    Hopefully at a younger age than I was, while they can be stupid with it and have a bit of fun.
    :)

Need another nephew? :D
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    why are you into investments?
    • As a practical requirement, to get serious about and preserve what little I have.
    • There are worse ways to pass the time, it feeds my delusions of global financial domination.
    • Satisfaction when planned rewards start to materialise.
    • I enjoy messing about with spreadsheets.
    • Financial independence and being able to leave a legacy.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • Lungboy
    Lungboy Posts: 1,953
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Alexland wrote: »
    It's strange when you become a parent how your personal greed goes put the window and you realise that you are just alive for now as part of a chain of events. A few years ago I was a lot more selfish than now. I no longer really think of my money as belonging to me and it seems natural to assume a fair chunk of it will not get spent in my lifetime but be passed on to others.

This is the same for me. I'd never thought of investing money until I had my kids and started trying to get the best bang for their bucks, which then got me interested. I'm still yet to take the plunge with my own cash other than £100 in Orbis to get the free ton, but only because I'm waiting for a sharesave to end. I find it fascinating now as I'm a researcher by nature, and this is one enormous rabbit hole to lose myself down.
  • For me it's a bit like cleaning the toilet, in the sense that it's better than not cleaning the toilet.
  • For me I take an interest and invest for financial security, also to grow finances outside of my regular work and outside of trading your time for money in employment etc.

It takes a bit of time to learn and deal with it, but it works outside of that.

Also to create a future income stream and towards financial independence and to be able to do bigger things in life too. Also, I enjoy it all :)
  • Once I knew a guy who was trying to borrow some money for bying a new iphone. but he didn`t have a job at that time. So i realised that it's not the way i want to do. It would be better to by some stocks ore something that would increase it`s price in future.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure