why are you into investments?

my answers:
- it keeps me busy!
- i like the idea of my money working while i am sleeping or chilling
- pays for my cost of living
- aiming for FIRE
- i learn more about the economics and how companies list their shares
- i meet new friends online!

what bad influence has investments had on me?
i think too much of FIRE that i fear i will put my day job aside! i dont really want to quit my job at this young age
Aim to retire by 45.

Comments

• Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,652
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    For me it's the practical need to ensure our accumulated wealth grows above inflation to meet my family's long term life goals.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I used to sit in my late fathers office on a Saturday morning and read the pink paper. Fascinated by all the numbers.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Primarily it's just a practical thing. My aim is to increase my wealth with a clear eye on retirement. I do, however, find it all quite interesting, so that keeps me looking at it and talking about it.
  • I wouldn't say that I'm 'into investments' - however, I have diversified into S&S ISAs in the recent years purely to spread the eggs into few baskets so to speak. I was infact planning to purchase a property (project) and to refurbish and sell it on, but then the extra stamp duty was introduced which killed that idea. As the money is not needed at the moment, and possibly not for the foreseeable future, I decided to take on a bit of risk and have some in P2P as well as S&S ISAs. We already have a separate emergency cash fund. I prefer to have the money working for me in one way or another rather sitting idle on the bank account earning a pitiful interest.
  • Zola.
    Zola. Posts: 2,204
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Because I want to have 'FU money', which gives you much more choices in life.

Also all the sensible things, like family... etc
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,547
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Senior Ambassador
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    Primarily it's just a practical thing. My aim is to increase my wealth with a clear eye on retirement. I do, however, find it all quite interesting, so that keeps me looking at it and talking about it.

just the same here
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected].
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Prism
    Prism Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Its all about retirement for me. I have never worked for a company that has paid a pension and for the last 10 years I have worked for myself. If I ever want to retire I need to invest in my pension.

I spent the first 15 years of my working life not paying attention to (and not paying enough into) a mid risk multi asset fund. This hasn't done well enough. I therefore need to put some effort into my investments to help recover from a weak start.
  • TBC15
    TBC15 Posts: 1,443
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    It's the only chance in life to get the system to work in your favour.
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,108
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Because I saw my mum being taken advantage of by so many commission-hungry salesment in the 1950's and 60's I realised I needed to learn about investing myself in order to help her and sort out my own finances.
  • Alexland wrote: »
    For me it's the practical need to ensure our accumulated wealth grows above inflation to meet my family's long term life goals.

Yeah, I was also motivated by greed. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport