MSE Poll: Do you have a will? If not, why not?

Poll started 30 January 2018

Do you have a will? If not, why not?

If you want to dictate where your assets go when you die, you need a will. Die without one and on top of the grief, it can cause a financial nightmare for the people you care about.

A will can be made cheaply, and sometimes for free. So do you have a will and if not, why not?

Do you have a will? If not, why not?

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Thanks! :)

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    The survey goes to "Are you data greedy? How much do you use on your mobile?"

But yes I have a will, best to be safe
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    it might have been interesting to see the split between single and married.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,270 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I have a will because although my OH and I have been together 22 years we never got married.
  • I am interested in creating a living trust so that my grandchildren will inherit my property without it being included in my estate or used to fund care in old age. Don't seem to be getting anywhere, my solicitor doesn't have a clue how to do this.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    St-George wrote: »
    I am interested in creating a living trust so that my grandchildren will inherit my property without it being included in my estate or used to fund care in old age. Don't seem to be getting anywhere, my solicitor doesn't have a clue how to do this.

Simple answer is you can’t, unless you are going to move out of your own home, and even then you would face the deprivation of assets issue.

From your most recent post you have 2 other properties, so you would be nuts to try and avoid care costs, unless you don’t care where you end up. I hope I never need residential care but if I do I want the choice of where that care is given, and the only way to guarantee that is to self fund.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure