PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Comments

• JackieO wrote: »
    Good Morning chums and another week /month has almost vanished The time just flies by at the moment.

I too would use the red pickled cabbage as a side.I normally get the left over jars of half used pickles from my DDs after Christmas and love to use them up. Pickled red cabbage goes very well with sausages and cheesey mash .
    I have some plain low fat yogurt to use up today so I shall mix a good dollop (technical term :))of lemon curd in to it as I have the tail end of a lemon curd jar to use up in the fridge :)

frugally onwards chums

JackieO xx

JackieO,

Sausages, cheesey mash & pickled red cabbage sounds delicious:drool: Sausages already out of the freezer! & that is Saturday’s dinner sorted. Tonight we had sweet potato soup, with the last rashers of streaky bacon chopped & fried & added in with a garlic baguette from the freezer. DH loved it, I thought it was quite tasty but felt it lacked something but don’t know what:undecided:
    Will finish the soup tomorrow for lunch with the 2nd garlic baguette. Dinner will be the lo veal escalope (already breaded) with boiled potatoes & green beans from the freezer.

My menu plan has been very fluid this week but has worked surprisingly well & the freezer is emptying nicely:T

Also did a bit of baking today - Ha..y Bi..rs Lincolnshire Plum bread. It is a lovely snack food with a bit of butter & cheese.

LFHW

MrsSD:)
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • I've just made us 3 days worth of lunches in the form of Broccoli and Stilton soup using up a head of 'floppy' broccoli and the heel of the Christmas stilton that had been languishing at the bottom of the cheese container and needed to be used. Fab stuff, very savoury and nicely filling. I do LOVE a free lunch!
  • Mrs LW I too love a 'free' lunch made with odds and ends :) we must be of a similar disposition :)

Ah the splendid Shirley Goode ,I think she was an inspiration to many people and I have a dog eared copy of her recipe book on my shelf, well worth getting hold off if you can.
    I think I paid 20p for it at a boot sale as my original one had get lost back when I moved house in 1995.

She was such a sensible lady and the majority of her recipes are good basic food cooked with a big helping of common sense.

a lot of 'celebrity' chef's forget that most people cannot afford ,or depending where you live, cannot even buy some of the stuff they recommend. I buy simple basic food and add my own herbs and spices or seasoning to liven it up.I normally buy herbs and spices from a shop I visit when I go to see my sis-in-law in Faversham.Its a well known kentish farm shop and their own brand of herbs and spices are sold at reasonable prices cellophane packets from 50p upwards. I always think its sad when you see rows of bottles of spices on rack that a lot never get opened at allI have lots of small lock 'n' lock boxes which are airtight and keep them fresh.Nothings worse than dried out herbs, and spices lose their bite after awhile .

I will also look in markets and asian shops as they are pretty good value as well.I bought some wonderful cajun spice when I was in Manchester last year on holiday, and we went to Bury market.How I wish there was such a fantastic market down here in the south.

Today I shall be making my weekend soup a bit earlier as I have a large head of celery thats due to go into the soup pot.
    I only paid 8p for it about just over week ago as it was reduced :)through over buying in the sm I think :) and I have had it wrapped in foil at the bottom of my fridge.
    It will make me at least a litre or two of soup.Just going off to get my shopping shortly and then I will be all stocked up for another 7-10 days at least I don't need a great deal ,mainly fruit,veg and eggs etc so should not come to more than a tenner.

Tonight's dinner will be fish, and herby mash from the freezer, with some steamed veg on the side
    Hope you all have a good day

Cheers chums

JackieO xxx
  • t14cy_t
    t14cy_t Posts: 1,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    over the last few weeks, at least 3 times a week the man who delivers fresh sandwiches to the local convienience stores has thrown his wares in the normal public bin!! whilst not wanting to look a gift horse in the mouth as I bring them home, is his doing this illegal? most of whats been thrown away is in date too! ive totted up over £100 worth ive taken home so far! both me, DH, the 3 dogs, the hens and ducks have all benefitted from it!! would be a crime to waste good food.
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Well, the planned salad didn't happen (didn't fancy it) but the tinned fruit did - mandarins in juice. Instead of salad we had oxtail soup, hardly the same but we enjoyed it. :)
    JIL wrote: »
    It was basically a shop bought meringue nest, in the centre a spoon full of lemon curd, on top of that went some Greek yogurt with some raspberries mashed up and folded through. Topped off with a little honey.

:T Thanks JIL for the idea. I have meringue nests, lemon curd, Greek yogurt and frozen summer fruits so will give this a go.

Seems Shirley Goode made an impression on quite a few of us! One of her saving energy tips was using a cooling oven to bake meringues.
    Tonight we had sweet potato soup, with the last rashers of streaky bacon chopped & fried & added in with a garlic baguette from the freezer. DH loved it, I thought it was quite tasty but felt it lacked something but don’t know what:undecided:MrsSD:)

Probably needs a bit of added "oomph" - maybe chilli/curry powder?
    JackieO wrote: »
    I always think its sad when you see rows of bottles of spices on rack that a lot never get opened at allI have lots of small lock 'n' lock boxes which are airtight and keep them fresh.Nothings worse than dried out herbs, and spices lose their bite after awhile.JackieO xxx

Mine got moved long ago from just such a rack and now live in a narrow drawer next to the cooker. An ideal place, as they're close to hand when cooking - the drawer is neither use nor ornament for anything else in any case. :D I too buy refill packets when I can. The rack ended up being sanded/painted and now hangs on the wall in the lounge, just the right size for my collection of Swarovski ornaments that DH has gifted me over the years. (BTW, I don't go in for bric a brac that much but these do give me a lot of pleasure and happy memories.) :)

A brief game of tetris with the freezer this morning; three items out and others re-arranged in a semblance of order but definitely room for improvement. :o Hopefully, we'll be able to use some things up this coming week once we start eating properly again. On the bright side, no shopping needed! ;)
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • Skintmama
    Skintmama Posts: 471 Forumite
    Thanks to inspiration from this thread I made a delicious rice pudding from some risotto rice and some of the excess milk we had built up in the fridge. Also, following a meal of roast pheasant, I made stock and then a pheasant and chestnut soup using the last of a jar of pearl barley. So that's two jars emptied!

Leftover roast butternut squash was chopped, combined with sauteed onion, a little stock and parmesan to make a surprisingly nice pasta dish for two.

The soup recipe required cream but the shop only had a single pint carton. I have made Creme Brulee to finish it off. I haven't done the bruleeing bit yet, so I hope that goes well later!

Leftover Risotto can be made into cakes like mashed potoato and fried in a non stick pan. It goes with lots of things. Also, don't forget the Italian Arancini where it is shaped, stuffed with mozzarella and fried in breadcrumbs.

On the subject of ancient alcohol, we found an old bottle of Pomagne last summer (do they still produce this?) it was given to us over 5 years ago when someone moved abroad and I think they had had it a decade by then too! We tried it with trepidation but it was fine. Good luck with the wine Yorkslass!

I have been doing all the usual things like fruity flapjacks and soups but also getting more adventurous with our salads. Adopting the Jamie Oliver technique of finely slicing through the food processor I have made use of all kinds of vegetables. Also, a lot of roast veg in salads too - almost anything can be roasted. Any leftovers I am freezing, as they make a nice addition to soups.

Hope you all have a good weekend of LFHW :)
  • The shelves are definitely getting emptier!

Made 2 pizzas yesterday with slightly out of date Italian flour. Made a simple tomato sauce with carton of passata, onion and a shake of herbs. Topped with peppers, pine apple and mine with corn as I don't like peppers. Only had to buy some cheese for it, the rest was all from supplies,

Did turn the left over sauce into a pasta sauce with the remaining peppers and have frozen that for a day when an easy dinner is needed for OH.

Tonights's dinner is onion soup and remaining cheese will be used for a toasted cheese sandwiches to go with it. Soup smells delicious :)

Still have some carrots in fridge and will get a veg box delivery tomorrow, so am thinking of making a carrot cake. As it used oil instead of butter, I won't have to use any of my precious butter, which is like gold since the prices have gone up so much!
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Used 2 rather old tatties, half a YS punnet of mushrooms, half carton of LF cream cheese and some A*di ham trimmings with a few flavourings to make a potato bake in the Remoska, broccoli, green beans and carrots for us both and think OH added some parsnip to his plate.

A few things dragged from baking stores to make cornflake crispy cakes, going to add pumpkin and sunflower seeds, dried sour cherries and perhaps a few flaked almonds, hope it will work OK and they stick together properly:)
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • YorksLass, I added chilli flakes to my sweet potato soup & it was a lot better! As it was very thick I also added a cup of vegetable stock & we had the 2nd garlic baguette from the freezer.

Thanks for the suggestion re pickled silverskin onions- never thought of slicing them, I suppose I could also use them on my next tart.

As my menu plan is no longer fit for purpose I will do a new one now.

On a side note, I have spent £16.00 on groceries BUT have no idea how much my DH has spent:eek: What is that saying “what’s yours is mine & what’s mine is mine:rotfl:”

Off to menu plan

Nightie, night

MrsSD
    LFHW
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Sweet potato and chorizo soup is currently my favourite. I find that sweet potato needs a bit of a spicy boost.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback