Renovations and Repayments II: New Year, New Start, New Diary.

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Happy shiny new diary, Alex! 2018 is going to go well for you, I can see that much right now :) no matter what challenges there are. Lovely to read of the positivity you've found.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Happy New Year Alex and happy new diary.

Wishing you all the best for 2018.

MCI
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £82, 595.61 (31.08.2019)
    OP's to Date £8500

Renovation Fund:£511.39;
    Nectar Points Balance: approx £30 (31.08.2019)
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,893 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Happy New Year Alex and a great start to your new diary!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• hiddenshadow
    hiddenshadow Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    gallygirl wrote: »
    Whereabouts are you HS? (roughly!). We're in Kerry presently and off to see Fungie later, hopefully :D.

Ooh, lovely. :) I hope you spot him!

We're in Offaly, in the valley.
  • Hello Alex et al! :D

Well isn't this a diary full of shiny happy people? (That's a popular music reference Alex, as I doubt it is on your playlist!) :D

Long may it continue! :j

I'll be back soon. Enjoy yourselves in the meantime.
    Debt: £11,640.02 paid in full! DFD: 30/06/20
    Starter Emergency Fund (#187): £1000/£1000
    3 month Emergency Fund (#45): £3300/£3300
  • LadyGnome
    LadyGnome Posts: 801 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Alex
    What a lovely start to the New Year. You sound so positive. The very best of luck for 2018
    MortgageStart Nov 2012 £310,000
    Oct 2022 £143,277.74
    Reduction £166,722.26
    OriginalEnd Sept 2034 / Current official end Apr 2032 (but I have a cunning plan...)
    2022 MFW #78 £10200/£12000
    MFiT-6 #28 £21,772 /£75000
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hey Alex, nice shiny new diary! Here’s to a fab year for you, your wife & your son.

I’m really heartened to hear that you’re all working as a team :)
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Ooh a new diary. I've read some of your previous diaries, but they are soooo full of people and posts. Pleased I've got in on the start of this one.

It does sound like you're having a good start to the year.
    (Have you thought of turning your previous diaries into a self published book? There is definitely enough material)

Subscribing...

Wish
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Thank you all and happy new year.:beer: Hope you all had a good one. Back to work for Mrs K tomorrow and I’m starting my new position officially. All very exciting. :D

Ok, I need computer help! Have upgraded to the new forum layout but I’m having trouble reading other diaries as the new forum doesn’t seem to have the function of looking at subscribed diaries from where I stooped reading. Can’t believe they didn’t put this function into the new layout so what am I doing wrong?

Gally, indeed. I need to start living for me rather than trying to live up to their expectations. :)

HS, we’ve started trying to work out what would be best for us, there seems a few options open at the moment and have an appointment to see someone about this and other property projects. I’m not sure if there may be an option to get some kind of offset mortgage and effectively be free of mortgage interest but it wouldn’t be straightforward and involves using business / family money. Not sure I want to go there or even if it’s possible. Current project is going very well and Mrs K and I have enjoyed working together so hoping to be adding more soon so perhaps best to be keeping as much money liquid as possible. Long story short we are waiting for the professional advice before moving on anything.

Very exciting re the move to Ireland. You should be able to get something quite impressive for a reasonable budget, too. Are you renting at the moment?

wishingthemortgage, not sure anyone would be interested in a “how to waste opportunities and alienate people” book. ;):rotfl: Seriously, thank you for joining the madhouse. :eek:
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • hiddenshadow
    hiddenshadow Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    AlexLK wrote: »
    Ok, I need computer help! Have upgraded to the new forum layout but I’m having trouble reading other diaries as the new forum doesn’t seem to have the function of looking at subscribed diaries from where I stooped reading. Can’t believe they didn’t put this function into the new layout so what am I doing wrong?

I'm not sure which layout is "new" - I'm on the forum default which is primarily white with dark blue headings/buttons/etc. I went into options and swapped to the one called "New layout" and it was eye-searingly bright green so I promptly switched back. :p

If you're on the white/dark blue layout, you can get to recent subscribed thread posts by clicking your user icon in the top left corner, selecting Replies (it should have a count of unread posts next to it), and then switching to the "Unread Posts" tab which will have all your subscribed threads. Each of those links should take you to the last post you read.

(If you're on the eye-searing layout, sorry, I couldn't find it in the 30 seconds I looked before my eyes started bleeding. ;))
    Gally, indeed. I need to start living for me rather than trying to live up to their expectations. :)

Hear hear!
    Very exciting re the move to Ireland. You should be able to get something quite impressive for a reasonable budget, too. Are you renting at the moment?

I'll be excited to read about your property adventures. :) I can live vicariously through you, as we're getting out of the landlording business as soon as possible.

We're renting until summer 2019, hopefully will buy something late this year/early next year and have time to build/renovate/move into it (as needed).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure