The "Save 12k in 2018" Thread!

Comments

• Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,289
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 7 January 2018 at 9:41PM
    No number yet, but can I update £617.10 into my pot. Should have another deposit on Tuesday. Thank you.

If you look at the second spreadsheet you can find your number in there if you have been allocated one now - I couldn't see you yet ;)
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 16.02% spent or £480.73/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • agiaga
    agiaga Posts: 169
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    It's a good start to the challenge for me - £1,296.97 so far saved since 1st January. Later in the year it won't be so easy though...
    mortgage started 31st May 2011 -£59200
    mortgage overpayment started July 2011 :D
  • I've stuck the first chunk of money away for my goal £1000/12000 saved (No number yet) Should be able to add to that later this month after bills are taken out & I can see what I'll have left over.
  • fiisch
    fiisch Posts: 507
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 8 January 2018 at 11:51PM
    #016 reporting a paltry £100 this month into the regular saver.

We have around £250 surplus in the current account this month, but I will be using this in March/April to make an overpayment on a PCP. I currently have a Honda Civic Type R with eye-watering monthly payments of £479.16, so intend to pay a chunk off to get it down at least below £400. The deal runs to November 2019, so by my maths I need to try and pay around £1500 off, which will then increase our regular saver quite dramatically (I am aiming for £6-700/month by the second half of the year).

With my wife's car also costing us £210 / month, we have substantial outgoings on PCPs - something I am looking to address in the future...! Using the wife's car for work when she's free (she works part-time and looks after baby) as it's somewhat more economical than mine..!

We are off to Cozumel at the end of this month, but that is all paid for except flight taxes (flights via family staff travel). All inclusive so anticipating a very low spend whilst we are away. Did well over Christmas and actually in better shape than I'd expected....

Small win with EE this month - wife was on a £67/month contract which purportedly allowed her to upgrade midterm to an iPhone X. Went in store only to discover not only would upgrading extend this expensive contract by another year, but that to upgrade to an X would require an additional £200 payment. I am kicking myself for not reading the fine print, but when we took out the contract in-store I am convinced we were intentionally mis-sold. Fortunately, I managed to negotiate via the call-centre to reduce contract to £32.99 for remaining term. I am still considering complaining to store about mis-selling, as we've been paying £35/month extra for the last year for nothing (my wife's usage has been nowhere near her data allowance).

Lesson learned - this will be our last year of mobile contracts. SIM only from now on!!
  • k4ren2006
    k4ren2006 Posts: 60
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Can I sign up please. Will go for the 12k but hoping to achive 16k and at a push..20 if the gods are kind
  • Hi,
    Could you add another £500 to my total so far please - so £1117.10 in total. Just checked and I've not reached the spreadsheet yet :-)
    Save £12k in 2019 #111 £440.39/£4000
    Sealed pot challenge #5 £153.59/250
    Weight Loss 28/60 lb challenge
  • My 2nd year of this challenge, so motivating thanks to all the participants on this forum. I'd love to sign up for 2018 Slowfading :-). Kudos to you for the awesome work on here!!!

Roll on 2018!!! :-) Target of £20k.
    A big part of financial freedom is having your heart and mind free from worry about the what-ifs of life - Suze Orman

# - The "Save 12k in 2020" challenge. Personal target: £15,000
    Update - £2,322/£15,000
  • No savings to report here just yet, but I have been really well organised with taking lunch, instant coffee and milk to uni so far. I paid 20p for hot water twice when my break was too short to go get free hot water, but everything else was brought from home.
    Save £12k in 2024 #29
    January take lunch to work goal - 13 of 19
  • Not got a number yet but have opened up two new regular savers and transferred £500 for January

Nationwide Flexclusive £250
    Leeds Issue 11 £250
  • denmjd
    denmjd Posts: 81
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    No number as yet, but i have opened a Nationwide Flexclusive Account with £250 to add in please, just looking now at other options available

Many Thanks!
    Hi No. 105 January savings £350
    £250 in N/w Flex reg saver
    also opened an s&s Orbis Isa with £100
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business