Woodford Investments

Comments

• IanManc
    IanManc Posts: 2,069
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Forumite
    bigadaj wrote: »
    How do you know it is calm and considered?

Analysts views and recommendations are still more politically and commercially driven in most cases than any clam and analytical view of the actual situation. They are also always backward looking.

How do you know "Analysts views and recommendations are still more politically and commercially driven in most cases than any calm and analytical view of the actual situation"?*

How do you know "They are also always backward looking"?*

Why don't you ask every respondent to every question "How do you know?" if they offer an opinion?*

;)

* I don't care about the answers to any of these questions.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 115,904
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The Woodford fund fell off our list last year. The income focus is still on there though. I'm not surprised to see life companies drop it as they are required to carry out due diligence and remove funds and add funds based on research and not any pay to play deals.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • brasso
    brasso Posts: 795
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    IanManc wrote: »
    No it isn't "hitting the panic button".

it is a calm and considered decision by the analysts at two investment houses.

You are characterising it as "panic" because you disagree with it, and want to marginalise it.

:beer:

It's just a manner of speaking.

I finally sold up my Woodford Patient Capital holding last month. I’d invested a lot in the fund during its first year, but 3 years later, I got fed up with it going nowhere. I’m not patient enough, I guess! I also sold my Woodford Income a year or so ago after it seemed to go off the boil. No regrets so far.
    "I don't mind if a chap talks rot. But I really must draw the line at utter rot." - PG Wodehouse
  • He was hit big again yesterday by the Capita plunge. That comes after buying more in December 2017 as well.

http://citywire.co.uk/money/capita-crash-deals-more-woe-to-woodford-and-barnett/a1088087.

Will be interesting to see how big the redemptions are after this, several fund houses such as Jupiter and Aviva have already withdrawn their holdings.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 8,790
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    It's not just his new funds, Mark Barnett is having a similar problem with his old IPHI/IPI funds. It never rains but it pours
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,492
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I sold IPHI some years ago, and am dithering over selling EDINL now. The dividends are still good but capital growth has fallen behind similar funds like CTY and worse than something like TIGT which "should" be more cautious.
  • I feel the main problem NW has is the sheer size of WEI. It's just impossible to navigate it easily. Income focus is probably the best pick from his fund house but that also has been hit quite hard recently.
  • ArchBair
    ArchBair Posts: 153 Forumite
    He just bought more shares in Capita In December so I wander if he will up his holding and buy even more shares after such a massive fall in the share price?

Presumably, if he had total faith in Capita and thought they were a bargain 6 weeks ago then surely he should buy more shares now to increase his holding even further?
  • AA's share price showing major falls today, NW is a big holder in his funds having recently increased his holding. Starting to feel a little sorry for him as his reputation suffers blow after blow. Outflows from retail investors in WEI must be accelerating at a rate of knots.
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    Starting to feel a little sorry for him
    Why do you feel sorry for a Charlatan?
    He still gets paid by those whose money he is losing, and already has far more than them.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure