PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Comments

• Morning all,

The rain is horrendous here too, although OH is in the car today rather than on the train so he was spared.

It sounds as if I may finally be getting a work desk, computer etc. sorted. Things are a bit crowded at the moment but it is fine, I get more done when I work from home so I'm not complaining.

Fuddle, congrats on the sock! Stick to your guns on the jab, you had such a tough time of it last year, you don't need to go through that again.

Monna, I suspect Hester would be all too happy to write her memoirs but I also suspect they'd have to reinstate censorship in this country if she tried to get them published. I suspect 50 Shades will have nothing on Hester's adventures! (Must confess, I never read any of the 50 shades books, not out of moral objection just lack of interest)

Interestingly a lot of the family recipes in my American family came from either commercial cookbooks or the backs of flour, bicarb etc. packets. Unfortunately by the late 50s this had changed to the backs of tins and box mixes, but the plainer ones are still there too. Of course we also have those recipes that say to take a handful of this and some of that and a bit of that. All of the women in my family have fairly small hands and up until my generation did all of the cooking. It makes it amusing when my brother who is very tall and has larger hands uses the recipes.:rotfl:

Maggie the cat is not pleased with the new regime. She complained mightily about everything yesterday and even hissed at me a few times. I've told her it will only get worse from here when my term starts and I think she has gone off to sulk. It is very hard for her when a simple wave of the paw doesn't instantly result in her heart's desire ;)
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,761 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Chucking it down here ready for the school run too. The Stork book that I want is the 1978 version which seems to go for £20 or so. For that I'll manage with the Bero book for baking, the many recipes that I have on various bits of paper, and common sense for everything else.

I'm going to have a house type day today I think. Empty the washing basket, catch up on the ironing, do a bit of cleaning and make a roast dinner for tonight as we didn't have a roast on Sunday and the house troll will be extremely hungry when he comes home from school. Despite being very tired yesterday, he was still awake at 10:30pm so my plan is to feed him, make him have a bath about 7ish and send him to bed for 9ish. I'm happy he's excited for school but I wish it didn't bring about three nights of hardly any sleep. I think he's also been a little upset by all the goings on after our visitor returned home so suddenly as the three of us are usually very close friends. I was talking to some other friends yesterday who told me that our visitor's sister has past form for doing what she did last week when she doesn't get her own way. I wish they'd warned me before although I did warn the visitor that I thought there was going to be a kick off. Visitor was equally determined that he would do what he wanted and we were caught in the crossfire.

I can't have the flu jab. Despite being offered it free, it makes me so ill I'd rather take the chance with flu. Three weeks of ill followed by a bad asthma attack is the current record. I last had the real flu when I was about 10 so like Monna I'll take my chances. I realise that's not how it works with you Fuddle so good luck with the pneumonia jab. I'd come and take up the battle on your behalf if I was closer. Best go and get dressed and make the troll a packed lunch. I can't call him the small person any more, he's just a fraction taller than me and in aged 15 school trousers despite being 12 (13 in 2 months).

Take care all of you.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    I've got a Be Ro book, have had it for years. It's the only book I can use and know that things will turn out as they're supposed to. Not done any baking for a long time though.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    DGS has just begun his first day at secondary school. He's an August birthday, so is only just 11. I saw him yesterday and although he's tall he suddenly looked far too young for secondary school!
    He loved his two taster days though, and a "Sports School" that was held there in the first week of the holidays, so I'm sure he'll be fine, especially as most of his friends will be at the same school :)

FairyPrincessk I once had the temerity to move our last cat because I wanted to tidy the bed and he was asleep on it. He was so incensed at being disturbed that he literally flounced across the bed and bit me. He was rather disconcerted when I burst out laughing :D
  • Ds2 started back last Tuesday - I can't believe this is the last year of school I will have to do. It seems a lifetime since ds1 started at school - the photos don't even look like him as the 4yo version didn't have glasses.

Does anyone else have any Elizabeth Craig cookery books? She wrote from 1920 right up to 1980 and I love her 30s and 40s one - good, sensible recipes. Her stuff on household management is good - although some of it obviously is out of date.
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    thriftmonster I hadn't heard of her and am astonished to see how many books she wrote!
    My mother bought me the first Dairy Book of Home Cookery just before I got married in the early 70's, and I bought myself Marguerite Patten's Perfect Cooking and one called something like "!50 Recipes for Cooking for Two"
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    The saga continues. Asked for an appointment for the P jab. Told they were out of stock. I asked for their complaints procedure as the surgery has been out of stock since January. Up popped the practice manager who told me they were out of stock and that it's out of their hands. Sternly I said "This surgery has been out of stock of a non seasonal vaccine since the start of the winter that I know of. This practise has been so unorganised about their stock levels that a vulnerable patient hasn't received the care that was set down by my respiratory consultant after 3 boughts of pneumonia in quick succession, once with effusion which was fluid in my lungs. I now have lung damage on both lungs and I'm asthmatic. I have been warned that a simple bacterial throat infection can become more invasive and due to concerns about developing sepsis in January because I wasn't responding to antibiotic treatment I think it's unacceptable to suggest to me that it's out of your hands'. She then went to ring the suppliers who apparently told her that they're just about to come into stock again and could I wait 2 weeks before I submit my complaint. I have the info to complain but if I go down in two weeks time and there's still no jab then I'll go to NHS England who will complain on my behalf. They said they would take it on in the summer but I haven't wanted to cause a fuss because the situation already has me stressed as it is.

On the way out I saw they've had their CQC inspection. They received 'good' for everything but 'keeping patients safe' was unsatisfactory. Go figure.

So still no jab but I have picked the first of the elderberries on the way home for my syrup. Maybe nature can help me out eh although picking them in the pouring rain wasn't the brightest of ideas.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 September 2017 at 10:24AM
    We used to have a joke about 100 recipies with mince - 101 if you eat it!!.

Just read your post Fuddle - well done you!! I hope the surgery are going to notify you when they have the vaccine and you don't have to check.
    DH has decided to peel some of the apples for me to blanch for the freezer - shame I had other things to do one my list - ah well, musn't grumble ;)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Fuds Good for you . It's the only way to handle these things . I have "trained " reception staff over the last few years . Always polite but firm but as you did with the facts at my fingertips . All should go ok now . I would phone and request they phone you and if needed leave a message when they can arrange your appointment . You shouldn't have to go in to check . There are coughs . sneezes and all sorts in the waiting room so don't expose yourself to possible viruses and bugs .
    Our surgery started booking 2 weeks ago and have booked appointments from mid September for both injections depending on need .
    Hope today at school goes well for the girls .
    polly xxxx
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • Well done, Fuddle for being so strong (and calm)

Ivyleaf - I have some real classic ones of hers including one with a breakfast, lunch, high tea and dinner menu for every day of the year. It's amazing to see how seasonal her stuff is. Plus there's a great chapter on dieting 1930s style which appears bang up to date now - limiting carbs etc
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure