A camping issue - Is this right, legal or fair?

Comments

• Well my immediate impression is that they originally rented it to you thinking they would turn a blind eye to you staying there full time. However, there has turned out to be something about you, personally, that they don't like and they no longer want you there. If they are letting other people stay, it's because they don't dislike them the way they dislike you.
  • cavework
    cavework Posts: 1,992 Forumite
    edited 17 March 2017 at 8:16PM
    'A touring caravan is for holidays not permanent living.'

Amazing as it might be , there are more and more people choosing this lifestyle and living in their touring caravan. There are people who cannot any longer afford to rent privately...there are people who are saving for a deposit to buy their first home or have suffered a breakdown of their marriage.. and there are people who just have decided this is the lifestyle they want and enjoy. Some have done this for years ...some are retired people who take their tourer abroad for part of the year. The UK does not make it easy for the people who make this choice..it insists that they have a permanent address..holiday sites have to check Council tax registrations against bookings for people looking to book sites for a long period. Laws have been created to make sure this is not an easy way of life. The people on the FB page I added earlier are decent law abiding members of the public who have made their own choice as to the way they wish to live ..
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,640 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    There are many "fulltimers" in the US, mostly retired people who live permanently in RVs (usually coach size motorhomes), heading to the warmer southern states in the winter.

In the 1960s/70s there were several retired Brits who lived permanently in relatively small motorcaravans moving around Europe and crossing to North Africa for the winter.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Thank you for responding.
    Youre comment, "the last line". The figures have nothing to do with me. But yes, I am responsible for highlighting 'trolls'. I have learned, they appear to be a negative evil on anti-social media.
    Didn't mean to confuse. I'm no good thinking on the hoof. I'd prefer typing in draft and pasting.
    To clarify: I've been at my lodge address and receivde my mail there for years, But only been on this official site (with a pressure-paid hefty membership fee; albeit not ably deriving 12 months' benefit therefrom. Particularly it was 'mis-sold' discounted.
    Heigh ho. The un-named Club site Kerching-ing all the way to the Bank.
  • Thank you for responding.
    I'm new to this MSE foray too! Apparently, I've lived a cloistered life.
    So help, please. What is PVW? And where is consumer rights. I'm guessing ... on MSE forums?
    Thanks again for your time.
  • Thanks for responding.
    I'm actually totally off radar a propose cheats' progress. And I have never fitted any square pigeon hole!
  • Thakns for responding.
    My garbled explanation has certainly thrown a spanner in the works, for which I apologise.
    A percentage of my lodge address rent (different to the Club site address) pays the Council tax. I'm not interested in creating a residency at the Club site address. I only intended being there short term, until I was ready to move on ...not as soon as I appear to be doing. Going about the county with snail carcass (caravan) on my back! Heigh ho.
  • Thanks for responding.
    I'm new to camping, and this site. But I do know 12 months residency demands Council Tax. I wasn't intending being here too long ...just a bit longer than being shoved off entails.
    I know others on site are 'under the radar'. But that is not my concern.
    It is the other 'club site' I unfortunately tossed for (and to all intents, lost). But I could not afford both. Now I can't afford C&M/h Club (or whatever their name now is - why change it? It wasn't broke).
    Needless to say this experience has shaken me to the corfe - who is to say they are not in the same slurry together?
  • Thank you for replying.
    In short, I'm butterflying - I neither live 'permanently' at my lodge address, nor the caravan site. One cannot live permanently at a caravan site unless it is a residential site; where appropriate Council Tax is applicable.
    I've come to realise, I should have pre-drafted my thread; not written it on the hoof. Sorry.
  • Thanks for responding.
    Oops! Maybe I should have simply taken a holiday, since this is what I had intended when 'siting a caravan'. An intended cheap (huh) short break, albeit far from the romantic notin of my last experience of camping - my childhood.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure