Cherry takes the reins

Comments

• Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,031 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Macey1510 wrote: »
    I started piano lessons a couple of years ago, it was something I had always wanted to do...I didn't get very far but I'm looking forward to starting them again once everything calms down. Hope you have a great day.

Keep up a bit of practice if you can, Macey. I was surprised how much I forgot over the years! Mind you I took a break of about 20 years... :D
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Cherryfudge
    Days off are tiring! Going back to work for a quiet life tomorrow.

Today a friend came round in the morning which was good, then after a very MS lunch of the leftovers of yesterday's leftovers pie, I took DFiL for a check-up followed, as it was a beautiful day with a bit of warmth in the sun, by a jaunt involving a coffee shop and a raid on B&M. I haven't managed a run but all that wheel-chair pushing counts as weight-bearing exercise even when helped out by coffee & cake.

I dropped him off at his sheltered housing and rescued his neighbour who couldn't find her key (it turned up in the laundry: not difficult to deduce as it clearly wasn't anywhere on the upper floor where we met her and she thought it might be in the lift, and at the bottom of the lift I'd heard washing machines running and she was telling us about washing out a shopping bag... sad though. She was clearly very forgetful and couldn't work this bit out). After that I went home via 2 supermarkets to add to the cheap goodies I'd already got, and have made 9 portions of assorted pasta meals, of which 5 are already eaten.

Spends:
    Coffee and cake £8.20 (not from the account I'm trying not to spend from)
    Cleaning/ toiletries/ Easter Egg /carrier bag £8.52
    Food £11.18

Sunshine and good company - free.

Not MS stuff:
    Coffee & cake but it was my turn to buy and I felt he probably needed something. Maybe next time I will suggest somewhere cheaper, there are loads to choose from. :)
    Left my carrier bags at home and had to buy one.
    Make up remover wipes - why, when I bought the cloths (see below) at the same time?

MS stuff:
    Bulked out chicken pasta bake with chickpeas, tinned toms, onion. Fed 5 with a bit over for approx. £5.80. Next time maybe I'll forget the chicken and substitute another tin of chickpeas, thus reducing the cost by the life of at least one birdie and £3.38.
    Used pasta bake that's 4p less than usual one
    Cooked too much pasta as DS decided at the last minute he wasn't eating at home, but turned the extra into 3 lunches so nothing wasted
    Bought cheap washing liquid - £1 for 24 washes instead of my usual approx. £5 for 40 washes. Smells nice and if it isn't brilliant we probably won't notice because most of our clothes don't actually get properly dirty anyway.
    Noticed B&M selling 4 fancy microfibre clothes for £1.99 and they seem to be identical to one DD bought from her up-market shop which is a special skin cleansing one - so I got some. If they save on makeup remover, all well and good and if not they will be pretty cleaning cloths.

Haven't had time to find the missing utilities bills.

• Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Awww sounds a good day for FIL, no excuse needed for coffee and cake :)
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • Cherryfudge
    TBH that coffee and cake is slightly haunting me. Not indigestion or regrets, just the cost of it. Wish I got £2.40 for every coffee I make at home!

• Cherryfudge
    NSD.

Went for a run, went to work.

• Bobarella
    TBH that coffee and cake is slightly haunting me. Not indigestion or regrets, just the cost of it. Wish I got £2.40 for every coffee I make at home!

Ha ha well...Your talking to the wrong person . I ran my own coffee shop.
    The £2.40 may seem high, it is for what it is. But when you look at what the cafe actually has to turn over to stay afloat these days it is not really high at all.

• Cherryfudge
    Oh, I count anyone a friend who makes good coffee! :)

I guess there are a lot of overheads that aren't visible to the customer, and we're paying for more than the coffee (and cake): it's the chance to have a relaxing time, recharge batteries, catch up with friends...

I think I'm alarmed that I so easily spent the best part of a tenner when I'm supposed to be saving madly.:coffee::coffee::coffee:

• Bobarella
    Exactly. It's a shame but there it is. Yes it's scary where those tenners run off to left to their own devices :)

• Cherryfudge
    Virtual no-spend day: £8 on makeup but I used a birthday voucher.

No run, unless you count getting to this morning's training in unprecedentedly good time!

Another mystery to add to the vanished utility bills. As I was checking through a list of Mum's assets I suddenly asked myself if she'd had another ISA, or did I dream it? I know I was going to set one up and had a meeting at the bank and it was a bit of a failure because in my hurry to get there I'd left some document behind, then there wasn't time for another appointment before the year end so it never got done. However, I have a memory of querying with the bank why I couldn't see some account of hers despite having Power of Attorney, and they explained it was because there were no actions I could take with that account.

It sounds like a dream - maybe it was?! I want a quiet day (won't get an entire day to myself till the middle of April) to spread papers out over the floor and search for evidence. I will have to do with bits of quiet days, which thankfully I do have. I could be confusing it with the Executors' Account which I certainly can't use until Probate is sorted.

Too late a night last night due to feeling down about a situation at work, and too much chocolate today, but I had a good shift so I feel better now.

• Cherryfudge
    Well the bank can't find another ISA and gave us another printout of Mum's accounts, so maybe that WAS all a dream! Very odd though. If there is anything it will turn up eventually as I haven't thrown out any banking paperwork.

This means we are close to applying for probate which will be a huge step forward.

I emailed my sister and her husband (they who live abroad and have dodgy internet access and no postal address!) a few days ago looking for some hints on what she wants to do about various things in the estate, but no reply so DH and I had a discussion this morning and have decided on the reduced cleaning hours for the house and to wait repairs on the washer until probate goes through unless I hear before I go to the house this week that my sister is planning a trip over soon.

(The washer needs an engineer and there's no laundrette for miles around. I've brought home enough bedding and towels to wash for my own use but can't carry enough to do some for her and her DD as well, and everything that's been left in the house smells of damp).

In other news, I did DH's hair cut this morning which I've been doing so many years it doesn't seem like MS anymore, but in fact that's another £9 we don't have to pay out. :)

Also... I am mega-pleased to find I've only spent half my food budget this week, so I'm hoping to nip out before going to work and spend carefully on things that will cut costs this coming week - flour and stuff like that. The cream I bought to make tiramisu is going out of date :( (no tiramisu as last weekend was too full of other stuff) so this afternoon I'll sniff test it and if the sniffs are okay, the new electric whisk gets pressed into service to see if I can make butter. I never thought I'd do that as I realised that once I could make my own scones and jam, the butter would always be shop bought as I wasn't interested in getting a cow. How things move on! Things that were never on the horizon become possibilities thanks in this instance to a facebook group. :)

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport