Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2017

Comments

• Lots being paid off but tips on how to save would be good. Or tips on making money I'm out of ideas

I am sure you have probably done all these.
    My saving tips (things I am implementing)
    1) Move to a cheaper place (if you rent) or take in a lodger (if you own)
    2) If you have a car on finance - GET RID, buy yourself something cheap as chips that can get you from A to B (implemented this myself, and it makes a huge difference)
    3) Buy in Bulk (A big bag 10kgof Rice from my local Indian grocers is £11, and lasts me over 4 months)
    4) Shop for fruit & Veggies at local green grocers, I was shocked at how much I saved compared to Tesco.
    I don't have Aldi/Lidl near me, but whenever I pass one I go in there and grab bargains
    2017 [STRIKE]48000[/STRIKE]
    2018 [STRIKE]25900 [/STRIKE]
    2019[STRIKE]11950 [/STRIKE]to pay off
    £[STRIKE]4400[/STRIKE] to pay off !
    DEBT FREE :)
  • Doucam
    Doucam Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    Can I join please.

Have a total debt of £7400, which I am really not happy about. My aim is to get as much paid off as I can.

I am doing the 365 day challenge too.

Thanks.
  • jayII
    jayII Posts: 40,693 Forumite
    Lots being paid off but tips on how to save would be good. Or tips on making money I'm out of ideas

My top tip is to get your debt onto 0% deals as soon as possible, set up direct debits for minimum payments, then save any spare cash into high interest accounts, rather than paying it directly off the card.

The interest rates aren't as good as they used to be, but every extra £ helps in becoming debt free. I then use the savings to pay each card off towards the end of the 0% deals.

I've also made several hundred pounds from switching bank accounts and I make £40-50 from Swagbucks and surveys each month (could make more but I have a demanding full-time job).

Then I do all the usual things, like meal-planning, taking lunch to work, remembering to use Topcashback or Quidco whenever possible (clear your cookies first, so that your purchases track properly).

Good luck with your journey. :)
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] Fighting the biggest battle of my life. :( Started 30th January 2018.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
  • I was going to add another tip, may be quite extreme for some.
    Go veggie, it's reduced our shopping bill so much.
    2017 [STRIKE]48000[/STRIKE]
    2018 [STRIKE]25900 [/STRIKE]
    2019[STRIKE]11950 [/STRIKE]to pay off
    £[STRIKE]4400[/STRIKE] to pay off !
    DEBT FREE :)
  • redmel1621
    redmel1621 Posts: 6,002
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Another payment today of £64.05. I've realised I had a few extra outstanding debts, but I won't change my total as I will probably struggle to pay off that amount. If I manage it and more it will be a bonus.

#26 £330.10//£2.604,53
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.
  • rosiest
    rosiest Posts: 105 Forumite
    edited 8 January 2017 at 6:59AM
    £ 50 Paid today. Cancelled app to get hair coloured and will just get a cut this month . Will have some bigger payments when dd's come out on 23rd and I k ow how much of overdraft I've paid off this month

# 52 total now £80/10000
    #28 pay all your debts by Xmas 2019 £2682/7000:)
    #66 2019 MFW £90/£7500
    also trying to get 6k savings this year :wink: have this by April . yay :)
  • So I've made my first payment towards the debt!

#112 Update £23/£5850
    £5850 away from being debt free.

Signed up for debt free by xmas 17 challenge - Jan 17

:money:
  • Doucam
    Doucam Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    rosiest wrote: »
    £ 50 Paid today. Cancelled app to get hair coloured and will just get a cut this month . Will have some bigger payments when dd's come out on 23rd and I k ow how much of overdraft I've paid off this month

£80/10000

I am going to do the same, I have a cut and colour booked in two weeks, first appointment in 6 months :eek: But I usually colour at home so will do so again and just go with the cut.
    The £30 difference will go towards a debt.
  • donkids22
    donkids22 Posts: 281
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    No 54. Another 36.61 paid off the on the credit cards that makes my total 286.61.
    If you dream it can you do it????????
  • Thank you Glittery and Jay II. I have done most of them except go veggie and to be honest we only have meat a few times a week. A weekly roast is mostly all we I can afford and that makes another couple of meals, it's the cost of fruit and veg that's my biggest bill. I'm off to check my cards though I move them but then I forget when they slip back from 0%. This month is going to be a killer no more debt busting until Feb I have £505 in bills and I'm only going to get paid £330. I'll think of something.
    DF by 2023 No 17 £1,644 /£6000 Total debt £18,000 at the start of DFW Journey. 201814TH JULY 2021 DEBT FREE now in control365 1p challenge No 49
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure