Iii

Comments

• jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,515
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    planteria wrote: »
    yes, i would be interested in the values held via the various platforms too.

I believe iii is run on the COfunds platform.

https://www.cofunds.co.uk/MediaCentre/Media_Centre_FinancialStrength.aspx

Despite the messages from HL proclaiming their strength as a FTSE100 company, Cofunds is also run by L&G which is a FTSE100 company too.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • planteria
    planteria Posts: 5,321
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    jimjames wrote: »
    I believe iii is run on the COfunds platform.

https://www.cofunds.co.uk/MediaCentre/Media_Centre_FinancialStrength.aspx

Despite the messages from HL proclaiming their strength as a FTSE100 company, Cofunds is also run by L&G which is a FTSE100 company too.

ah, so CoFunds is owned by Legal&General.

and iii is an independent business, that utilises the CoFunds platform?

....i am not particularly concerned, by the way, just interested to understand.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,515
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    ah, so CoFunds is owned by Legal&General.

and iii is an independent business, that utilises the CoFunds platform?

....i am not particularly concerned, by the way, just interested to understand.

Yes, Cofunds is a wholly owned subsidiary of L&G as they bought out the previous co-owners a while back.

iii is an independent business using that platform, as do many others including Cavendish for historic customers (including me). I believe Cofunds may be the largest platform in the UK but I'm not 100% on that as it hasn't been easy to check.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Wobblydeb
    Wobblydeb Posts: 1,046
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have been with II for a few years now - predominantly investing in shares.
    i am looking at moving from HL to III with my ISA, and potentially SIPP.

any thoughts re. the following?:

1. Financial Safety: is money safe with them? Like anything else, I would split your money across financial institutions.
    2. Customer Service Levels: do they sort problems efficiently? I have been unhappy with the speed of payment of some dividends/interest on bonds. They do respond to secure messages, but can take a while to resolve things. Having said that - they have always satisfactorily resolved my queries and problems.
    3. Website functionality? Basic, but does the job
    4. Paper copies of trades and holdings? Not something I have used.
    5. Whether you can invest in US shares? Yes - I am now the proud owner of some Verizon shares ;)
    I've got a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.
  • planteria wrote: »

1. Financial Safety: is money safe with them?
    Been answered adequtely already
    2. Customer Service Levels: do they sort problems efficiently?
    For me so far so good, really good call centre staff, with good knowledge and not to 'graduate trainee scheme' condesending that some HL staff were getting (thats just my personal view obviously and not a dig at Graduate trainee schemes!!)
    3. Website functionality?
    No issues at all, never once gone down, I trade 4-5 times per week in my SIPP for the last few months since I have been with them
    4. Paper copies of trades and holdings?
    er, havent asked for any!
    5. Whether you can invest in US shares?
    Yes, definately

See above!
  • planteria
    Forumite
    thanks guys.

they don't seem to have a lot of competition in terms of being able to trade US shares. i have some Amazon shares in my HL ISA and fancy holding them for the foreseeable.
  • amandajc
    amandajc Posts: 217 Forumite
    Just an update on this.

I'm in the process of transferring my S&S Isa to iii. All is going well so far. I've received prompt and informative replies to a couple of secure messages I've sent, the video tutorial explaining how the interface works is very useful (to an online trading novice like myself) and I've also benefited from a 20 min "welcome" phone call to go through any questions I had.

This was all confidence building and I've now started by making a couple of buys to see how the whole thing works before my transfer arrives and I can get on with re-allocating it properly.

We will also be transferring my husband's S&S ISA once mine is up and running as the two accounts can be linked and the quarterly fee only paid once which is good news.

I understand the transfer offer of up to £120 cash and £120 trading credit has been extended to 30th April. Has anyone any experience of when this actually gets credited?
  • planteria
    Forumite
    i was looking at the funds available via III last night...
    there are a couple i have my eye on which are not available, but are via HL.
    i wonder whether III are growing, in this respect, and whether they adopt the same approach as HL, in saying 'speak to us, and we will try to help you buy any other investments you want'..not that ive ever tested them re. this.
  • planteria
    Forumite
    wow...finally getting round to this and have been trying to speak to someone at III. being cut off, ignored, put in queues...not a good first impression i must say.
  • planteria
    Forumite
    .........but finally got through to someone who was very helpful, even if dour.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure