Energy Misselling successes

Former_MSE_Wendy
Former_MSE_Wendy Posts: 929 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! PPI Party Pooper Best Buy Bear
edited 9 August 2011 at 8:05PM in Energy
Please let us know if you have a success from using the new Energy Misselling guide by reporting it below.

Tell us brief details of what happened to you eg,
* Who is your supplier?
* What did you complain about?
* How long did it take?
* Did you get a refund and/or compensation and how much?
* Anything else you'd like to tell others to inspire them.
*** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***

Comments

• cployal
    cployal Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 10 August 2011 at 6:56AM
    Hi, I have already dealt with energy miss-selling, basically I am with Scottish Power and I decided to change, so I chose EON, I gave them my annual usage for both gas and electricity. All fine so far but when I received confirmation from EON that the costs would be the same as my current supplier they had reduced my annual usage by over 2000 kwh hours thus making my monthly charges over £20 per month more.

After many letters and phone calls between the two companies EON have offered me £20 for my inconvenience.

I suppose better than a kick up the backside !!
  • Am with Atlantic - we joined them (I think) in 2005 and paid by direct debit - the amount being specified by them. In 2007 we received a letter telling us that we owed £2000 on both the Gas and the Electric. When I asked them how, they said that we had not been paying enough as the tariff had increase. I pointed out to them that we paid by DD and at no time had anyone contacted us to tell us that we should be paying more. After much wrangling and calling in the Trading Standards people they agreed that we could pay £100 a month on each, which would slowly nibble away at the amount owing. I had reason to phone Atlantic at the end of 2010 about our bill and the girl asked why we were on Economy 7 when most of our usage was during the day! It would appear that when we switched to Atlantic they took the wrong information from Southern Electric and we had been on an Economy 7 tariff all the time. They have now changed us to 'normal' but we still owe them. Do I have a case, or should I have read my bill more carefully?
  • We also had problems with Eon. The sales person told us he could reduce our costs (based on actual consumption details given by DH over the phone). We were told that it would reduce our monthly payments for duel fuel to £70 from over £100. DH gleefully signed up. 3 months later we get a letter saying our direct debit is too low and needs to be increased to £125.

This is at time when we are both working away for the majority of the week, the central heating/boiler are hardly used and the light evenings mean we have used less electricity for lighting etc. DH called Eon and they explained that actually we were in arrears because our original direct debit was too low and so the cost going forward was based on actual consumption (as was the figure supplied by my husband in the first place).

I called Eon yesterday and they confirmed that we weren't even on the cheapest tariff.

I have downloaded the template and have no problem completing the complaint section but what do I want them to do about it? I am not asking for free fuel but I am extremely angry that they mislead us like this, particularly when monthly budgeting is so important and have wasted so much of mine and DHs time.

I am not sure how they can rectify the problem - any ideas?

I have downloaded
    Sealed Pot challenge: # 1376: £??
    Virtual Sealed Pot Challenge: # 140: £13.97
    Cashback sites since July-11: £220.55
    Ebay total: £8.49
    Amazon total: £74.98
  • jalexa
    jalexa Posts: 3,448 Forumite
    edited 10 August 2011 at 10:55AM

It would appear that when we switched to Atlantic they took the wrong information from Southern Electric and we had been on an Economy 7 tariff all the time. They have now changed us to 'normal' but we still owe them. Do I have a case, or should I have read my bill more carefully?

Let me respond to the last question in a "non judgemental" way, if only for the benefit of others - Yes.

Check all bills for estimated reasdings and submit customer readings if you do not agree with the accuracy of the estimated reading. Alternatively submit periodic customer readings. There is quite clear info about how to provide customer readings on the Atlantic bill.

Regarding the "do you have a case", on the face of it you are entitled to the bill being recalculated from scratch based on the correct tariff. *I* do not think it would have been reasonable for *you* to have spotted *that* problem from the bill. Of course I do not know the exact circumsatnces of the transfer from Southern Electric to Atlantic (which are brands of the same company!)

That (as well as the metering installed in your home) is a "matter of fact" which needs to be established.
  • As regard the Atlantic billing the bill/statement would have had 2 meter readings, so this should have alerted you to the wrong tariff.
  • jalexa
    jalexa Posts: 3,448 Forumite
    edited 10 August 2011 at 11:31AM
    caravan72 wrote: »
    As regard the Atlantic billing the bill/statement would have had 2 meter readings, so this should have alerted you to the wrong tariff.

Don't you mean "should have"?

A recent thread has reports of Atlantic saying a customer was on "Fixed price domestic standard NSC" but there is no such tariff.

I do not think that Atlantic is as "wised-up" as their "self-trumpeted" customer service standard would imply.

I do not believe that "unreasonable" technical expectations should be placed on customers, beyond the evident "competency" of the suppliers systems and "trained" staff.
  • ocoste
    ocoste Posts: 16 Forumite
    Hi
    I was mis-sold by SSE as the salesman at the door told me they had "bought the company that owned the gas infrastructure, so they's always be 15% cheaper than competitors". I only discovered this was a blatant lie when some 6 weeks later I had a Scottish Power salesman at the door, making the same claims!!! I complained strongly to SEE and the did not even try to defend it but offered to transfer me back as an 'erronious transfer', but by this time I'd lost any consumer advantage as the rest of the gang had hiked their prices! SSE did apologise and said the salesman would undergo refresher training, (I have all this in emails), but would I still be eligible for componsation. I've sinced moved hosue and supplier.

This is to the MSE Forum mods I guess. Thanks.
  • in 2009 eon sent me a letter to tell me that they had been billing me at the wrong ammount for my gas over the last few years and as such i owed them alot of money! i checked to see if they could do this and was told they could but they could only charge me for the last 2 years. out of 'good will' (yeah right) they knocked some off and sorted out a payment plan. i did complain about this at the time but was told that was just how things worked. can i claim for this or is this not included?
    thanx
  • Am with Atlantic - we joined them (I think) in 2005 and paid by direct debit - the amount being specified by them. In 2007 we received a letter telling us that we owed £2000 on both the Gas and the Electric. When I asked them how, they said that we had not been paying enough as the tariff had increase. I pointed out to them that we paid by DD and at no time had anyone contacted us to tell us that we should be paying more. After much wrangling and calling in the Trading Standards people they agreed that we could pay £100 a month on each, which would slowly nibble away at the amount owing. I had reason to phone Atlantic at the end of 2010 about our bill and the girl asked why we were on Economy 7 when most of our usage was during the day! It would appear that when we switched to Atlantic they took the wrong information from Southern Electric and we had been on an Economy 7 tariff all the time. They have now changed us to 'normal' but we still owe them. Do I have a case, or should I have read my bill more carefully?
    i,m having a similar problem with Scottish Power (dual fuel )....I moved into my flat 2 years ago. I was in a house before this, with up and down stairs. I paid £70 per month dual fuel when I lived in the house, and was never due anything more than this. When I moved to my flat, there was a different utility supplier, so I changed to Scottish Power,as I had been with them for years, with no problems. They said I would still have to pay £70 per month, but as my flat is much smaller, I questioned this, so they put monthly payment down to £48. I took this to be ok, but after a year or so of paying this, and my meter must have been read at least 4 times, Scottish Power then send me a bill to say that I have been underpaying ?. I then ended up with a dual fuel bill of around £700. I called them up and they told me I,d have to pay it, as my payments had been set too low. They also forced me to have prepayment meters put in, which are taking even more money from me. It is costing me so much every week to keep my energy running, that I have had to do without gas for at least 2 months, as I just cannot afford it. I am a lone parent, on few hours with low pay, and I don,t really know what to do. Seing this forum has given me a little bit of hope, as I don,t think this has been my fault. Just wondered what anyone else thinks ?
  • Mugget
    Mugget Posts: 37 Forumite
    To have been changed over to a econ tariff would have meant a complete meter change. Did someone change your meter when u changed from SE to Atlantic? In response to another post SSE have stopped door to door sales as it was impossible to control the 'self employed' sales men. A good thing I think going by the horror stories i've heard about other companies doo to door sells maybe they should all take a leaf out of sse's book and do the same
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback