GCSE tutor

Options
Asking for a friend with a Y11 child who needs help!

What is the going rate for a GCSE Maths or Science tutor?

(They don't want to pay over the odds but I have no idea how much they charge nowadays)
Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I suspect it would depend on where you are. Can the school offer any advice / contacts? (One of my friends has just signed up to tutor through an agency and most of his work is in local schools!)
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • oystercatcher
    Options
    I know a couple of people who charge £30 an hour for private 1 to 1 GCSE and similar tuition.
    Decluttering, 20 mins / day Jan 2024 2/2 
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    South east - I paid £45 ph for maths tuition, she did make a big difference :)

Sorry should have added for one to one, it was £30 ph in the holidays for a group of three (each of course)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,150 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Depends on area. I paid £20-£25 per hour approx 4 years ago for my son. This was also for 1 to 1.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the estimates. She is in the Berkshire area.

The school weren't of much help, and told her to look at local adverts.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi Pinkshoes, which part of Berkshire is your friend in? We are in West Berks and I pay £15 an hour for my Y10 daughter to have 1:1 maths tuition. However I’ve also seen one tutor advertising who is charging an eye watering £70 an hour :eek:
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I paid £15ph in London.

Your friend also needs to consider whether she want the tutor to go to her, her child to go to the tutor's house or to a study centre, all seem to be priced differently.

My daughter chose one at a study centre as she thought she would learn better in that environment.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Depends on the quality and experience of the tutor. You can find a university student that would charge less than an experienced teacher.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • ElefantEd
    ElefantEd Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I charge £20 an hour, but the Scottish Borders are probably a bit too far away from Berkshire! I could probably charge more (there aren't many tutors round here, and I have a waiting list), but it seemed a reasonable amount, given the seasonal nature of the job and the relatively restruicted number of hours you can actually work for (ie after school finishes).
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    Depends on the quality and experience of the tutor. You can find a university student that would charge less than an experienced teacher.

My daughter's was at Uni studying medicine, she got on really well with her, having had more recent experience of the exams she gave my daughter lots of useful tips and hints as to what the boards were looking for in an answer.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure