Help .. what should I do now?

Options
Hello my first ever post :j

I'm 52, dyslexic & live in England - and have been working as an unwaged carer for the past 7 years.

Now, things have now changed in my life and I now have a possible opportunity of some funding to take a short training course / or to study for a qualification - but I am at a loss of what to do ..

I already have a good business degree - but I'm open for ideas - I am looking for positive inspiration not barriers - I am open to consider anything from accountancy to zoology - its doesnt have to be related to my business degree. Friends have so far suggested a locksmiths course .. becoming a hypnotherapist ... HGV licence .. PAT testing .. etc

I am looking to gain a skill that can be used to provide an income.

I would love your sensible ideas sensible .. but because I am dyslexic and embrace creativity and leftfield thinking I would love your odd, creative and original ideas as well. :j

Thank you MSE

Comments

• nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/

You should be able to contact an advisor who can help you focus your search to your abilities/ skills.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Options
    GrahamNN3 wrote: »
    Hello my first ever post :j

I'm 52, dyslexic & live in England - and have been working as an unwaged carer for the past 7 years.

Now, things have now changed in my life and I now have a possible opportunity of some funding to take a short training course / or to study for a qualification - but I am at a loss of what to do ..

I already have a good business degree - but I'm open for ideas - I am looking for positive inspiration not barriers - I am open to consider anything from accountancy to zoology - its doesnt have to be related to my business degree. Friends have so far suggested a locksmiths course .. becoming a hypnotherapist ... HGV licence .. PAT testing .. etc

I am looking to gain a skill that can be used to provide an income.

I would love your sensible ideas sensible .. but because I am dyslexic and embrace creativity and leftfield thinking I would love your odd, creative and original ideas as well. :j

Thank you MSE
    Not enough info, you may swell flip through a dictionary and pick one.

What do you want to do/be?

consider which careers are open to you after such a long break from the workforce.

Something self employed like your friends have suggested may be better
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. I think you need some kind of focus first. There must be things you enjoy doing that can give some indication of which fields you should consider working in. "Accountant to zoologist" is hardly realistic, I think.

One place to start might be to decide whether you prefer being indoors or outdoors. The above options cover both. If the object is to gain a qualification for a job you are likely to succeed in, I would suggest you do some research and find out where the skills gaps are. Plumbers and electricians seem always to be in demand but your location may be saturated with providers of those services; I don't know.

Do you prefer to work alone or as part of a team? Maybe have a think about some of the really basic elements and go from there. HTH.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I second the National Careers Service
  • Detroit
    Detroit Posts: 790 Forumite
    Options
    There's a few questionnaires you can complete on line which offer suggestions based on your answers to personality, skills and preferences questions. Maybe worth a try as a start point.

Put your hands up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport