Childrens savings - sad story

Hi, in 2004 i put £2000 into my then young sons account many years ago, when my other two were later born with different mum my first child was asked if he would mind sharing half between the other two, he was happy to do so and also have a new brother and sister.

I didnt even think about it until many many year later and now i have 14,9,7 year olds and the younger twos mum asked me to get the books updated as they were using a passbook and it would be a great idea to not let them have the money until 17 to use for driving lessons, brilliant idea i thought. I then asked my 14 year olds mum for the book for him.

So, as it went on, , sadly this amazing mum has lost the plot and spent the lot on crack cocaine !! A complete shock but thats reality, my two younger children live with me full time and now the older one is now with me also as a consequence

I then devised a plan to make sure that he also has some money and the two younger ones offered to share their money with him as it was him who shared in the first place.
I ended up with 3 cuddly teary children but good lessons learnt, i did blag it a bit as of course i will put the same £550 in the older ones account not take it from the younger ones.

So here we are and i dont want them peeing it up the wall as it stands they can remove it from age 7 in this account, oh no no no !!! I want it locked away until they are 17, not 18, 17, at 18 i will have already paid for their driving and then they will pee the money up the wall so ive decided 17.

Does anyone know where i can place this money for the best until then, at 17 so NOBODY or at least only me, can touch it?

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport