Going with Bonkers The Pedigree Pooch or Muttley The Unloved Runt ?

Comments

• Murphy_The_Cat
    Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Makkusu wrote: »
    Where would be the best place to review to top performing funds every 6 months? I can only find the best of the past 12 months.

I use Trustnet, then click on "My Custom Tab", which allows you to add / remove columns to suit your requirements.

I've just done that now and Bonkers is showing 28.1% up over the last 6 months.
  • Bravepants
    Bravepants Posts: 1,487
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    What a fun thread!

I just popped my expendible £1k in Jupiter UK Smaller Companies, third top performer. I didn't want to copy Murphy's Japan fund, and I was a bit wary of the Argonaut Sterling Share fund, I'm not sure what that consists of, and the Jupiter looks like a straight line on the unit price graph. It also gave me an opportunity to open a Vantage general investment account with Hargreaves Lansdown (thinking of them for my SIPP), might bed and ISA my new fund when April comes. Still, will hold till end of July!
    If you want to be rich, live like you're poor; if you want to be poor, live like you're rich.
  • aroominyork
    aroominyork Posts: 2,787
    Forumite
    I'm also in on this. I am moving my SIPP & ISA from HL to ii but want to keep an HL account to use their excellent Watchlist function, so I opened a GIA yesterday with £100 and put it into Bonkers' First State Japan hedged. I always wondered what a hedge fund manager is; now I know - it's me!
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Forumite
    edited 29 January 2018 at 8:49PM
    I'm now exactly one month in and Bonkers is up 4.42%.
    If he does that for the next 6 months, I'll be a very happy pussssy cat - before I cash him in for a new model !
  • 25th Jan 18, 2:58 PM
    How's it going with 'Bonkers'?
    My Janus Henderson China Opportunities is up 7.34% since 29/11/2017.

My Janus Henderson China Opportunities is up 3.03% since 29/11/2017.
  • aroominyork
    aroominyork Posts: 2,787
    Forumite
    I joined on 29 Jan with £100 in a GIA to keep an account open at HL as I switch my SIPP and ISA to Interactive Investor. I invested in that day's best six month performer First State Japan Focus (hedged), and it is down 4.72%. That's £4.72, just about still more than a pint.
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Forumite
    I've got about 5 weeks to go, before its Goodbye Old Bonkers, Hello New Bonkers.
    Since I bought Bonkers, it's been an up and down ride, but he's currently showing a gain of 5.86%.
    I'm keeping an eye on Trustnets best performers over 6 months to see who the luck "winner" will be and I'm keeping my figers crossed that it isn't an energy fund - currently in pole position is Schroder ISF Global Energy (gulp) although there are a few more "conventional" funds that could save the day, by 29th June.
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Forumite
    After an eventful 6 months, I've bade farewell to my original Bonkers First State Japan Focus B.
    The feller took a right kicking just after I'd got him, came out with all guns firing and at one stage was 9% up, before taking to the "naughty step" in the last month and losing nearly 5% of its value.

Over the 6 months I had the Units, the value increased by a (fairly) dismal 2.95%. It outperformed 3 of my funds (incl Vanguard LS 100% which pitched in with 1.31%), but 7 of my other funds had it licked, the best of which grew by 17.4% in the period.

I'm now moving on to Bonkers #2 Baillie Gifford American B ACC, which has grown by a whopping 29.3% in the last 6 months. I'd be more than a tadge satified if my £1029.49 became £1331.14 before the year end !

Let the fun begin (again)
  • DairyQueen
    DairyQueen Posts: 1,822
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Bonnie hasn't posted since Jan. Wonder if the contest is still on?

I have been following this thread with interest as my intro to S&S investing was reading about the dogs of the FTSE formula back in the 1990s. If memory serves me correctly this involved an equal investment in the FTSE 100's highest yielders (divi reinvested). These were sold on the first anniversary of purchase and replaced with the new dogs. Rinse and repeat each year. Never tried it but wonder if Woodford has :)
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,000
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I'm now moving on to Bonkers #2 Baillie Gifford American B ACC, which has grown by a whopping 29.3% in the last 6 months. I'd be more than a tadge satified if my £1029.49 became £1331.14 before the year end !
    Well that fund certainly looks intreresting. About 50% of the portfolio invested in the top 10 holdings. And low AMC. Hopefully the US market will keep outperforming as I wouldn't want to be in this one during the next crash.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback