Worst train routes on Northern Rail for crowding?

Options
Had an awful Hebden bridge rush hour journey to Manchester this week after a weekend break.

What other routes on Northern are a total nightmare. Would love to hear thoughts and train times etc. I assuming from 10am to 3pm they are all pretty much ok though?

I hear Harrogate to Leeds and Hebden Bridge to Manchester Victoria are particularly bad at morning commute/rush hour.

Comments

• WeAreGhosts
    WeAreGhosts Posts: 3,100 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Huddersfield to Leeds. Absolute hell at rush hour.
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    west Kirby to Liverpool central , couldn't open my telegraph without spilling my coffee over the chap opposite .
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,523 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Any line into Leeds.

Road traffic is horrendous, so there has been an huge increase in rail passengers to those near stations, but rolling stock provision has not kept up.

Large areas of Leeds have no rail service (north and north east in particular) so buses are slow due to the traffic caused by lack of rapid transportation.

Services which have been 2 carriages for decades are now just being increased to 3 or 4. Airedale line to Ilkley and Skipton was probably overstocked 25 years ago with 4 carriage units, they are now inadequate, but very unlikely they will be increased to 6 any time soon.
  • ClarkeKent
    Options
    Huddersfield to Leeds. Absolute hell at rush hour.

Oh, I need to do Hudd to Mirfield in the next few weeks around 4.30pm. Hoping that won't be too mad then :-/
  • WeAreGhosts
    WeAreGhosts Posts: 3,100 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ClarkeKent wrote: »
    Oh, I need to do Hudd to Mirfield in the next few weeks around 4.30pm. Hoping that won't be too mad then :-/

I used to do that route. No, not too bad at that time. It was a three carriage train when I used to get on it - the old, creaky ones. Always cold, but I always got a seat.

The faster, through trains that stop less are the ones that are crazy - packed in like sardines.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure