Organic stuff

JPR7
JPR7 Posts: 8 Forumite
My 1st grandson has come into the world and have parents devoted to organic produce - nappies, clothes, food (they´ve also become vegan...)

This is a whole new experience for me so am looking for help identifying organic wools, materials etc so that I can make him toys and clothes that he will be allowed to use!! :eek:

Comments

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,647 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Slightly long winded, but if you google on organic wool, organic cotton etc you'll get lists of suppliers.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    JPR7 wrote: »
    My 1st grandson has come into the world and have parents devoted to organic produce - nappies, clothes, food (they´ve also become vegan...)

This is a whole new experience for me so am looking for help identifying organic wools, materials etc so that I can make him toys and clothes that he will be allowed to use!! :eek:

Are they happy for him to have woolen items?
  • kacie
    kacie Posts: 901 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Look into organic hemp and bamboo fabrics, they are better for the environment than cotton is.
  • nimbo
    nimbo Posts: 3,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Wool surely would be fine?

Not shearing a sheep is bad form it. There was a sheep that was found in Australia that had obviously gone walkies and not been sheared for years. The wool they removed was really heavy and would have been bad for its knees etc... also I’m surprised the poor thing hadn’t actually cooked due to the heat in summer.

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 200 / 500 2018 3 / 500
    :T:T
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    nimbo wrote: »
    Wool surely would be fine?

Not shearing a sheep is bad form it. There was a sheep that was found in Australia that had obviously gone walkies and not been sheared for years. The wool they removed was really heavy and would have been bad for its knees etc... also I’m surprised the poor thing hadn’t actually cooked due to the heat in summer.

They only produce thick coats of wool because they've been bred to do so. Earlier breeds of sheep shed their wool naturally - some modern breeds have been created to do the same as shearing often costs more than the value of the fleece.

We can only get wool if we keep (and then kill) sheep - not acceptable if you're a vegan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure