Any tips on cutting a cats claws?

Cat number 1, (despite spending a lot of time outdoors which you would think would file them down) has grown long, needle like claws, he's sticking to the carpet and getting stuck to his bed and generally in desperate need of a manicure. He's also incredibly affectionate so every time he jumps up for cuddles it's like being mauled by a pincushion.
I've tried clipping his nails myself but the second he catches sight of the clippers he starts screaming "OH GOD THEY'RE MURDERING ME, HELP, HELP, HEEEEELP!!!" and I've got the scars to show for it. No idea why, he hasn't had any bad experiences having his nails clipped, he just has a dramatic streak.

If it comes to it I will take him to the vets to get it done but I'm hoping to avoid the stress and expense of a vets visit for something so minor if I can.

There must be an easier way?
It's not uncommon for their nails to need a trim so there must be a trick to get them to go along with it without anyone losing any blood?

Comments

• I just wait until mines asleep in the sun and use nail clippers. Then again he is used to me doing it and is the most laid back burmilla you could possibly meet.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    It's very variable. Current cat will let me do it although he is a bit ticklish and will bite the clippers.
    You could try playing with his feet without trying to cut his nails, to get him used to that, first.
    However, if that doesn't work, then the best way I've found it the sausage approach - wrap him in a thick towel with just the foot you want, free, then clip as quickly as you can. This is *much easier with 2 people, one to hold him and the other to clip, but you can do it singlehanded if you absolutely have to.

You could try giving him an indoor scratching post but I think mostly scratching just keeps them sharp and takes the old outer layers off, it doesn't blunt them
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • I wait until mine is asleep but in his deep sleep where when I go in the room he doesn't lift his head up or roll over. I just do one foot at a time as fast as possible before he realises!
    He would pack his suitcase and move out before letting me clip his nails while he's awake.
  • minimad1970
    minimad1970 Posts: 6,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    3F9887F400000578-4445434-The_fabric_is_similar_to_the_chainmail_that_has_been_used_to_pro-m-37_1493154190004.jpg
  • lizziebabe
    lizziebabe Posts: 1,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sometimes there is a Veterinary nurse in a practice that will do this at much less cost than seeing the vet. Sometimes it doesn't cost at all! Perhaps worth checking. :)
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 14 February 2018 at 10:15PM
    I have to clip elderly madam's front claws to stop them curving under and going into her pads.

We have a glass topper on the kitchen table and she now knows that it's no good trying to launch herself off and away because she can't get a grip. The ploy is that Mr S holds her on the table, I snip her front claws, then she has a few 'dreamies' for being a brave girl.
  • I'm going to be no help at all ... I just wanted to gloat about how lucky I am with my 2 moglets!!! I've had them both since 12 weeks of age and from that time I've flipped them onto their backs on my lap and cut their claws ..it takes me about 30 seconds to cut all 4 paws, no blood or armour or deviousness needed :D;) All you guys have my utmost respect for the various ways kitty gets claw clipped!
  • es5595
    es5595 Posts: 380 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    My elderly lady needed hers doing...

After several failed attempts I decided that however MSE unfriendly it was, paying £12 at the vets was a bargain.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,715 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Large quantities of valium for you.
    Not sure about the cat.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • es5595 wrote: »
    After several failed attempts I decided that however MSE unfriendly it was, paying £12 at the vets was a bargain.

You don't get many bandages for £12 these days.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure