Getting rid of rats/mice (merged threads)

Comments

• Finally my housing association decided they have to do something about it..
    ...Just when I was about to threaten them to take them to court for disrepair
    It's seems like it's an infestation in the whole area I live in :eek:
    Just had some one from a pest control company come and visit my home
    He told me that when the builders were renovating the houses, they left the old piping system in tack :eek:
    So the mices/rats or whatever are using the old system to gain entry into people's homes...
    He wrote a report to the housing association and also left 6 bait boxes around the house...

...Hopefully they'll send some one round to take the panel off under my sink and fill the holes, because I myself cannot do it...And that's where I know for a fact that's how they are getting into my home

..Last sighting of one was Wednesday night gone in the kitchen
    I was so upset that I ran in with a broom, hoping to catch it and give him a good hiding
    No luck as they are fast little things
  • I had a rat in me kitchen (what am I gonna do).. and nothing worked. Tried traps, tried sonic. everything. They loved in the walls behind the plaster dabs. Bestthing, ( and only thing) to work was rat cglue. Not very humane, but I had to get rid of Roland. Its just card with a glue on that you put down accross their runs. They run accross.. and stick.. and don't run anymore. You have to dispatch them pretty quick.. but there you go. Poison will kill them.. but then if they die somewhere inaccessible you have smelly rotting rat t o contend with.. Just a thought...
  • MizzyTizzy wrote: »
    Finally my housing association decided they have to do something about it..
    ...Just when I was about to threaten them to take them to court for disrepair

Why are you having such a problem getting someone out, note I haven't read all this thread in case you have explained it. Anyway according to my council, Winchester, they state on their website ...

"Under the Prevention of Damage by Pests Act 1949, all Councils have a statutory duty to control rats within their area."

http://www.winchester.gov.uk/EnvironmentAndPlanning/EnvironmentalHealth/AnimalWelfare/PestControl/

I had scratching in the cavity walls and scurrying up the attic when I returned after xmas. Called the local council and they came out and put some poison blue putty balls down. This stuff they have only been using for a few months and comes in a chaulking tube and can be shaped like putty\clay. A week later all the balls had gone, probably they had taken them and stored them somewhere. The pest control guy then came back and put some of this putty stuff in trays as then you can see their teeth marks when they feed on it. I then heard them in the loft for the next couple of nights, checked the trays and you can see they have eaten it. I haven't heard anything since so hopefully that has sorted them out.

Cheers
    Rob
  • welshblob wrote: »
    Why are you having such a problem getting someone out, note I haven't read all this thread in case you have explained it. Anyway according to my council, Winchester, they state on their website ...

I have no idea what so ever
    Every time I reported the problem they will simply tell me that they can't deal with rodent infestation, which is weird considering it's them that owns the property and not me:rolleyes:
    I had to complain on numerous occasions to finally get them to send some one out. And all they done so far is put down bait boxes (which I had already done. Still waiting on the association to send some one round to take down the sink unit to block up the holes behind there, which I'm unable to get too).
    Obviously it was about saving money as the snotty woman behind the counter had the audacity to say that many people in the area don't mind blocking up the holes themselves:rolleyes:. Been there done that love and they were still coming into my home from behind the sink.
    But as the problem is so widespread in the area and it's the housing associations fault why the mices are able to come into people's homes so freely , they have no choice but to deal with the matter.
    I've also contacted my council environmental health department, so they can come and survey the area. More people on the case the better for me.
    Still planning to get a kitten or two
  • MizzyTizzy wrote: »
    I have no idea what so ever

Good luck and keep on at them, maybe you need to get one of your local councilers on board too. I know how annoying these things can be as mine kept me awake at night or I've have dreams they were in my bed ! Fortunately this lot didn't got into the main house so I was quite lucky.

Rob
  • We have problems! actually big problems. I moved in with my brother some short while ago! and discovered he has rats i can hear them in the cavity walls, and i can hear them in the attic. We decided to go up and discovered tonnes and tonnes of rat !!!! everywhere! its been 2 weeks since we placed rat poison down! annd to my dismay they haven't eaten a bean! their not interested. We put them in see through bags untied all 9 bags, and the rat man came out and put 3 bags down 12 bags in total of which 3 little pots consist of rat poison. we have also kept everything where they are and stuck down 2 rat traps with peanut butter and changed it to chocolate! Do you think they touched it noooo.

I am sick of it! rat man who came out is a prat! what next? is there any other ways of sorting this out.
  • David333
    David333 Posts: 712 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hopefully I'm on the right board with this. Sitting at my desk I heard a rustling near the bag of crisps lying on the floor by my bed. I looked over, wondered, crept closer, and a mouse - fairly small, quite cute - leapt out and scuttled under my bed. Now I like mice as much as anyone but I got my Hoover out (never take on a wild animal without a Hoover), moved my bed and managed to scare the mouse into the hallway. Anyway, my room is safe but there is a mouse somewhere in the flat. I searched on Argos for a mousetrap but could only find the game so does anyone have any advice? Any idea on where to buy a mousetrap, on how to catch the creature, on what to do to rid my house of this menace...? Thank you!
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Hello David333

I've merged your thread with this existing big thread 'Getting rid of rats/mice'. If you read back from post #1, you'll find lots of useful tips and help.;)

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • Daz1
    Daz1 Posts: 125 Forumite
    The borough I live in offers a free rat treatment service, check with your local council as they have various duties under legislation. If you have a different infestation eg bedbugs, wasps etc, they may levy a charge though it will most likely be very competitive as they have to compete for business with private companies and you have the reassurance of dealing with (hopefully) a "company" thats not fly-by-night or gonna go bust.
  • sabelu
    sabelu Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Tried the rentokil packs from Tesco with limited success whats the best way? Any ideas?
    It pays to challenge
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure