Auto parts delivery scam?

Good morning.

Help needed about a potential business opportunity that 'feels' wrong but would work really well for me if it was above board.
I don't want to mention Company name, but they are based in Asia.
Here are the details as to how the process works. Let me have your concerns & see if they are the same as mine.

"If you own a small business and have a business bank account, a car or van and have 1-2
days free time each month then you can start making additional money with your business.
As a UK delivery agent you will deal directly with clients who order our auto parts within a
50 mile radius of your location. The entire months orders will be shipped directly to you at
the end of each month, meaning it only takes 1 day to deliver the entire months orders.
When we have a confirmed order from somebody in your area we will ask them to make
payment for the entire order directly to you. They may call you to confirm you have received
their payment as we pass your details on as their local delivery agent. Once you confirm
their payment you will need to email us payment confirmation.
At the end of each week we will invoice you for 95% of the order value, leaving you with 5%
of each order as your delivery fee. Then at the end of each month we deliver all the months
orders directly to you, and in turn you then deliver the products to your local customers all
in one day.
You do not deal with customer support, other than to confirm the payment has been
received and to confirm their delivery date for the end of the month. We make the whole
process easy for you and with the average order value being between 2,000-10,000 pounds
and an estimated 8 orders per month the earning potential as a UK delivery agent is vast."

Many thanks for looking everyone

Comments

• droopsnoot
    droopsnoot Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    My concern would be warranty claims. They paid you for the parts, so you take on the responsibility for them.

I'm not sure I'd necessarily say it's a "scam" as such, but perhaps not quite as straightforward if/when things go wrong.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,636 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 January 2018 at 5:06PM
    A 50 mile radius can translate to 120 road miles (or more) north to south and also east to west. So if you have to deliver to Northtown and Southtown, that could be a 240 mile round trip, before all the deviations to the other places in between. And if you also have to go to Easttown and Westtown!!! If an order is worth £10,000, how bulky will it be?

But my main concern would be you send them the order money and suppose they "forget" to send the parts
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    I call scam. Don't do it.
  • Thanks for the responses.
    I've checked their website and their Head Office is in Bangkok, in serviced offices (Regus)
    I've spoken to the "UK Delivery Agent Recruitment Manager" and he has confirmed the size of order. None of it is mechanical parts. Initially 2 - 4 pallets, but probably 2/3. He's confirmed they will fit into a normal single car garage.
    I've no issue with the concept & I'm not blinded by "only need one day a month" - you might be able to deliver one day a month if you work 20 hours straight, but the paperwork behind all of this would make it at least 8 hours a week on admin & probably 4 days on delivery.

My biggest concern is, as some of you have highlighted, being...
    1) Their clients send me payment for product (I don't understand why they won't take payment direct)
    2) I then send Company 95% of order value, keeping my 'commission'.
    3) I send Company around £30,000 of other people's money before I receive products.

The risk, as I see it, is that I don't get a delivery, I've taken payment. The clients will come knocking on my door for the product/ cash refund.
    I'm not sure how to find out the the Company are above board with them being based in Bangkok.

Thanks again
  • Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,173 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Or they deny receiving any money and you are chased by customers to return it to them as well.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • droopsnoot
    droopsnoot Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    ronaldadio wrote: »
    (I don't understand why they won't take payment direct)

As I said, it's so that you have the responsibility in whatever the Sale of Goods act is called now. You're the retailer, not them.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,636 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    droopsnoot wrote: »
    As I said, it's so that you have the responsibility in whatever the Sale of Goods act is called now. You're the retailer, not them.

Consumer Rights Act 2015, but if the customers are businesses they have little protection in this legislation
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • somsman
    somsman Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hmm, could it be a money laundering scheme? The car part thing just being a cover up to make it seem legit?
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,051 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Seems an odd way to conduct the business TBH.

Do they have other agents in the UK doing this? Get references, follow up what they claim.
  • Would like to know if you done the auto part delivery and how it worked out
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport