JISOFT - Alternative to Quicken / MS Money

BarkingMad
BarkingMad Posts: 56 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 16 April 2016 at 12:00PM in Budgeting & bank accounts
Hello,

I'm currently using Money and it is becoming slow. I've been looking around for an alternative. Which? has a review of some products but they seem to US based.

There is a UK company - http://www.jiosoft.co.uk/

Has anyone got any views on their Money Manager product?

Thanks

Title should be jiosoft and not jisoft - cannot change it

Comments

• le_loup
    le_loup Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    BarkingMad wrote: »
    I'm currently using Money and it is becoming slow.
    What?
    Must be your machine or too much data.
    I've been using it for 14 years - there's nothing to touch it.
  • I think it is the amount of data. Files are 40MB. Exiting can take a few minutes. I know I can export/archive but like to have everything to hand.

Dual Core 2.6Ghz and 3GB should be enough for Money.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 April 2016 at 8:33PM
    le_loup wrote: »
    What?
    Must be your machine or too much data.
    I've been using it for 14 years - there's nothing to touch it.
    I have migrated to AceMoney which is, in fact, better than MS Money as I don't need any add-ons to get prices for stocks and funds. Other than that it does precisely the same as MS Money, and it's supported software with an active user community on their forum.
    BarkingMad wrote: »
    I think it is the amount of data. Files are 40MB. Exiting can take a few minutes. I know I can export/archive but like to have everything to hand.

Dual Core 2.6Ghz and 3GB should be enough for Money.
    Not sure whether moving to another package will resolve you issues. 40MB sounds a heck of a lot of data, and MS Money is essentially just a glorified spreadsheet, as are AceMoney and Jiosoft or BankTree. I have 10+ years of data, and easily 200+ active and closed accounts, and the file is not even 1.2MB. Have you tried exporting and importing - may be it would free up some space?

If you want to migrate, one of your biggest concerns should be the data migration. AceMoney was truly ace in that regard, and it also has an evaluation licence. I wouldn't pay for a licence if I can't have a trial run with the migration.
  • ChemistDude
    ChemistDude Posts: 126 Forumite
    YNAB - You Need A Budget?
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Microsoft Money still works brilliantly for me, but whilst we're all promoting alternatives Moneymanage Ex does a great job for freeware
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    The OP has forgotten to mention the product he's pushing costs £34.99 compared to the free product he's dissing. NB I've not even tried the product he recommends so can't comment on it.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    DesiBadBoy wrote: »
    YNAB - You Need A Budget?
    YNAB is popular with people who don't have any data to migrate and who don't have any investments. It's very unlikely that it would meet the requirements of the typical MS Money user.
  • No_6
    No_6 Posts: 835 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Never had any problems with MS Money running slow, just depends on your computer, my new one with W10 starts and opens money in seconds. Also backs-up in a blink of my eyes.

Which is much faster then my old Pent4 puter....
    but that was never that slow
  • Shedman
    Shedman Posts: 1,492 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 17 April 2016 at 8:22AM
    I am still running MS Money (2005 edition) on a 6 year old PC (just looked up how old my PC is and was surprised as I thought it was much newer - blimey maybe I need to treat myself...) with nearly 20 years data (and currently at least 50 bank/credit card accounts as well as shares, endowments etc and budgeting) and my file size is nowhere near 40mb and I have no speed issues (opening, closing or updating files).

Have you seen this link: http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/250.aspx as there may be some tips in there. Also have you run the repair function (on a saved copy of the file just to be safe) as that may help in case there are any oddities in your file that are creating the massive file size?
  • BarkingMad
    BarkingMad Posts: 56 Forumite
    pmduk wrote: »
    The OP has forgotten to mention the product he's pushing costs £34.99 compared to the free product he's dissing. NB I've not even tried the product he recommends so can't comment on it.

Hi PMDUK, Not sure what OP means but I assume it is original poster.

I'm not pushing JioSoft - I'm asking for feedback on it.

When has anything from MS$ been free? I'm aware that the sunset versions can be downloaded for free, but I did pay for Money many many years ago.

Thanks for your contibution.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport