Thinking of giving up work to go on benefits

I am a hard working man who is thoroughly fed up. It seems every month the cost of living is going up and up and I am struggling to see the point of working anymore. I hardly get to see my family and we don't have much left over at the end of the month anyway. My wife has just taken on a part time job and she is miserable and it means we are spending even less time together.

I am skint if I work, so I am thinking of giving it all up. Yes, I will be just as skint on benefits, but at least i will be able to spend time with my wife.

I have 2 mates on benefits and they have a great life. Do the odd job on the side to make ends meet. No commute, spend every evening and weekend with the family. Have lots of time to do odd jobs round the house.

Please tell me what is the point of working 40+ hours a week when Gordon seems to take every penny?

Comments

• bookemdano
    bookemdano Posts: 2,881
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Glen0000 wrote: »
    I am a hard working man who is thoroughly fed up. It seems every month the cost of living is going up and up and I am struggling to see the point of working anymore. I hardly get to see my family and we don't have much left over at the end of the month anyway. My wife has just taken on a part time job and she is miserable and it means we are spending even less time together.

I am skint if I work, so I am thinking of giving it all up. Yes, I will be just as skint on benefits, but at least i will be able to spend time with my wife.

I have 2 mates on benefits and they have a great life. Do the odd job on the side to make ends meet. No commute, spend every evening and weekend with the family. Have lots of time to do odd jobs round the house.

Please tell me what is the point of working 40+ hours a week when Gordon seems to take every penny?

What your mates are doing is illegal:mad: us working people have to pay for your mates to have a great time doing jack !!!!!!:mad: :mad:
    I know where your coming from but I personally could not sit on my backside day in day out:eek:
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings

:xmastree::xmastree::xmastree:
  • Sarahjovi
    Sarahjovi Posts: 1,017
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Perhaps you need to visit some of the other forums on here to see where your income and spending is going.

Theres lots of tips and help available. If you don't like your job, look for another one nearer home, that pays more money. Think about re-training.

I know it all easier said than done, but do you really want to sit at home all day claiming benefits.

Sarah
  • scooper
    scooper Posts: 986 Forumite
    what do you work as?is there another job you could maybe look at going for/change of career maybe ??

i know what you are saying but unless you do work on do ''work on the side' which isnt fair on everyone else wh does work and pay tax life on benifits is far from having lots of money,my partner has been of on incapacity benifit after several operations,and even though he shouldnt really he is having interviews to get back into a job.

another point is like mynpartner because if you do go on benifits and want to get back into work,prospective employers are not keen on someone who has been of for a while.
    appreciate what you have got x
  • Shineyhappy
    Shineyhappy Posts: 1,927
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Why not post up your income and outgoings on the DFW board and we will glady give you some ideas on making money go further.

I do know exactly what you mean and I know of loads of people who feel the same, but it is morally wrong. I own my own place and as a technically single person with no children I am entitled to no help whatsoever, financially I struggle but have found ways to make my money go further and ways to legally make extra income ie renting out my spare room which I am entitled to do and not pay tax on as long as it falls bellow a certain amount.

Have a look at all the boards on here for ways of getting the best deals and making extra cash, matched betting, mystery shopping, cash back sites etc
    Debt Free - done
    Mortgage Free - done
    Building up the pension pot
  • Glen0000
    Glen0000 Posts: 446 Forumite
    Sarahjovi wrote: »
    Perhaps you need to visit some of the other forums on here to see where your income and spending is going.

Theres lots of tips and help available. If you don't like your job, look for another one nearer home, that pays more money. Think about re-training.

I know it all easier said than done, but do you really want to sit at home all day claiming benefits.

Sarah

It is not that I don't like my job, I don't like working!! I am on £30k+ a year, but factor in the commute, long hours, evening and weekends and the fact that we still struggle, I am beginning to think is it worth it?

I know where my money is going, petrol, taxman, cost of living in general. Yes I could cut down, but why should I work 40 hours a week to shop at Lidl and drive an old banger?

I may as well struggle, but sit on my !!!! all day!
  • go on benefits then and do a few jobs on the side

Hope you get caught
  • Glen0000
    Glen0000 Posts: 446 Forumite
    go on benefits then and do a few jobs on the side

Hope you get caught

Get caught? You are joking aren't you? I must have reported about 8 people over the years, not one of them has been pulled up. Most of them have been" on the sick" 5+ years while still doing jobs on the side.

Thats what I mean. The govenment couldn't care less, why should I not join them?
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    I guess it depends on what example you want to give your kids. Do you want them to grow up thinking that it's OK not to want to work ? Would you be tempted to follow your mates example and work illegally? How would you explain that to your kids if you do -or worse if you got caught ? Do you have the savings to carry you through the non benefit paying period if you give up your job for no good reason ? Your wife married a man who worked-would she feel the same way about you if you were regarded by neighbours, friends and family as a dole sponger ?
    Lots of questions to consider. Might be better to work out where your money is going first and see if there are areas savings can be made-I bet you'll be surprised.
    BTW if Gordon is "taking every penny" then your tax code is probably wrong !
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • Zara33
    Zara33 Posts: 5,441 Forumite
    Glen0000 wrote: »
    It is not that I don't like my job, I don't like working!! I am on £30k+ a year, but factor in the commute, long hours, evening and weekends and the fact that we still struggle, I am beginning to think is it worth it?

I know where my money is going, petrol, taxman, cost of living in general. Yes I could cut down, but why should I work 40 hours a week to shop at Lidl and drive an old banger?

I may as well struggle, but sit on my !!!! all day!

Oh woe is you, what a pathetic attempt, nice new username ;)
    Hit the snitch button!
    member #1 of the official warning clique.
    :D:j:D
    Feel the love baby!
  • scooper
    scooper Posts: 986 Forumite
    if you have been on that amount of money and having it coming in the house regualrly then it will be so hard for you to go on benifits and once after maybe a few weeks or years reality hits and you are so skint like we are at the moment,and us previously not having to worry too much about money then you will be brought back down to earth

also you cant just quit your job to go on jobseekers they wont give it to you staright away,if you do you will be paid every 2 weeks and thats got to last you 2 weeks no help in between unless you have children.

same with incapacity every 2 weeks

inome support if you were entitiled is every week but not much money

you sound as if you are really unhappy at the moment but i can promise you,you and your familiy will be a lot more unhappy on benifits!!i know!!

good lick whatever you decide to do
    appreciate what you have got x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family