What are mu e7 times??

Comments

• EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    That makes sense, the small white meter is feeding the smaller CU via a timeswitch, so the heating kicks in and out at certain times of day. I can't read what it says on the MCB labels, but it would be logical for all the other circuits in the house (sockets, lights, cooker etc) to be run off the other CU which isn't controlled by the timeswitch and is fed from the larger meter with the transparent case.

I don't know for sure, but I've never seen an Economy7 set-up like this - usually all an Economy7 timeswitch does is switch the recording of consumption between one meter register and another. So all your consumption (lights, heating, power etc) at night will be charged as Economy7 night units.

However, there were many different tariffs for storage heating etc which operated using separate meters and circuits like the ones in your pictures - so are you sure you are on Economy7? Do the day and night unit charges you are paying correspond to the published E7 tariff for your supplier?

If you are definitely on E7 and your night units are being recorded on the white meter, and as per molerat's post you are also getting cheap rate heating between 1400-1700, then it looks like you are probably getting a very good deal ;), even if your non-heating consumption is all being charged at the day rate.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • EachPenny
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Just to add - the SEEBOARD Warmwise tariff would be an example where special rates were available for heating only, for certain hours of the day, provided the heating equipment was on separate circuits from the rest of the house.
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 18 April 2017 at 6:33AM
    Hi,
    m0bov wrote: »
    my underfloor heating and hot water go live.

the underfloor heating is a bit of a clue.

Methinks you are on E10 tariff, with clock settings slightly out.

How does Economy 10 work?

Economy 10 gives you the same energy as any other tariff, but during 10 off-peak hours of the day, your energy will cost less.

The Economy 10 discounted rates are typically broken down into seven hours at night, and three hours during the day.

While Economy 10 offers unit rates of up to half the price of peak rates, the standing charges are often higher.

Edit: Found this from EDF:

Warmwise

– Provides eight hours of cheaper electricity specifically for room and water heating at various times of the day. The room and water heating should be on a separate circuit.

We charge for electricity for all purposes (other than room and water heating) at the
    relevant day or off-peak rate.

Link.
  • m0bov
    m0bov Posts: 2,521 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks for that, that's cleared up a few questions I had, looks like the meter is more or less ok.
  • EachPenny
    First Post Combo Breaker
    m0bov, you should still check your bills/contract to ensure you are on the right tariff, and also that the readings on the bills correspond with the meters on the wall - i.e. that the cheaper rate electric is being charged for the heating.

From what I understand, the Economy 10 tariff didn't come into being until the 2000's, one source says 2004. The timeswitch you have is much older, perhaps 1960's, and certainly was in use in 1990. So it is quite possible your arrangement of meters and CU's predates the introduction of Economy 10 and therefore the tariff you are actually on could be one of many, not all of which are good value for money.

What you need to find out and assure yourself is whether you are still being charged on some kind of legacy tariff, or Economy 10, or Economy 7.
  • m0bov
    Hi, I moved from EDF which was a "deemed" off peak and peak. I have now moved to an E7 tariff with another supplier as I was told it was E7. I tried to get them to change/check the meter as it appeared faulty but not got anywhere. At the moment I am on E7 tariff with the correct meter serial numbers. I have not had any confirmed meter readings yet nor a bill. So for the moment I will leave it be.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I'd have thought that E7 would only have one meter with a day and night rate. You've got two meters, how are they being billed/recorded.

E7 implies that all your leccy during the night would be at off-peak rates and full price during peak times. As you've got two meters it looks like one is configured to supply the heating and hot water via a timed supply and the rest via a non timed supply (unless the main meter is a dual rate)

Check your bills to see what tariff you are actually on
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • EachPenny
    First Post Combo Breaker
    matelodave wrote: »
    Check your bills to see what tariff you are actually on

It sounds like m0bov already has and it is E7, even if the metering arrangements are not conventional E7 style dual-meter. ;)

m0bov, I suspect you may already know, but the down-side is you won't be getting the benefits of E7 rates for non-heating consumption overnight, but you will gain from having E7 low rate for heating in the afternoon. If electric heating in the house is the only option then the financial benefit of low-cost afternoon heating is likely to be greater than the benefit of having cheaper night-time electric for things like the washing machine, dishwasher, lights, TV etc. Even if you don't use the underfloor heating in the Summer you may well still be ahead financially just from having your hot water heated in the afternoon.

Apart from keeping an eye on the meter readings and unit rates it may well be a case of letting things carry on as they are.
  • m0bov
    I checked the meter details with my new supplier, Iresa and its showing peak for both. Of course there is little chance I can get to speak to anyone at Iresa seeing as they seem to be going belly up. So, I spoke with EDF who now tell me I am on complex metering! So I am phoning around to get quotes. Eon's IT system is down, nPower dont take new complex metering customers.

Trying to think about how else I can get metered, the underfloor does'nt work on a timer, it uses the supply timer to switch on and off. The water heater is now on a timer I fitted.
  • EachPenny
    First Post Combo Breaker
    How long ago did you switch to Iresa, and was it from EdF?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport