Recommendations for replacement of HP SR2125UK

Options

Comments

• were
    were Posts: 632 Forumite
    Options
    Realistic?? Is this just a joke that fell flat?

You remonstrate with us for suggesting that there is also a possibility of upgrading the current machine, (whether for the seventy year old or simply to pass it on to someone else who it suits),

but then you come up with the absolutely ludicrous suggestion of purchasing a five year old laptop with a screen a good twenty five centimetres in diameter less than the OP's initial suggestion.
    Ha ha, no I did not suggest upgrading anything, but I understand now what you mean about glasses, small print and age, also not being hard to follow the thread in a post, as one seems get confused as one get older?
    I'm sure the seventy year old would relish the idea of peering at a relatively small low resolution screen.....

Seriously, one of the strangest suggestions I have seen here in a while....and there have been a few.

They have an existing screen to use - if they wish, and £100 left over to upgrade to a new screen. Strange suggestion?... you need to get out more!

There are more balls on a eunuch than that N3150 cpu you are inferring to the user.
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    were wrote: »
    Ha ha, no I did not suggest upgrading anything, but I understand now what you mean about glasses, small print and age, also not being hard to follow the thread in a post, as one seems get confused as one get older?

They have an existing screen to use - if they wish, and £100 left over to upgrade to a new screen. Strange suggestion?... you need to get out more!

There are more balls on a eunuch than that N3150 cpu you are inferring to the user.

Perhaps you also missed that I did not recommend the N3150, but suggested that at least it is better than the N3050 they originally looked at.
    It is they who chose a 24" monitor, so I have tailored all of my replies to their basic criteria, but with an emphasis on getting the best for their budget.
    The reason for the Zoostorm recommendation is because it already has a solid state drive fitted. Otherwise I would recommend something cheaper if it already had an SSD fitted.

But at least the Lenovo has a bit more to offer than the HP. Quad Core processor and Bluetooth.

Remember that this is a present. So old second equipment won't do.
  • were
    edited 18 April 2017 at 12:27AM
    Options
    NiftyDigits, you are very good with bios upgrades etc, do you perhaps have something newer than this bios within your grasp from your secret software stash, as I cant get anything newer from the Samsung site?

Motherboard Model: Samsung NP350E7C-S02UK
    BIOS Vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
    BIOS Version: P09ABE
    BIOS Release Date: 07/04/2013

Thanks
  • NiftyDigits
    Options
    NiftyDigits, you are very good with bios upgrades etc, do you perhaps have something newer than this bios within your grasp, as I can get anything newer of the Samsung site?

Motherboard Model: Samsung NP350E7C-S02UK
    BIOS Vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
    BIOS Version: P09ABE
    BIOS Release Date: 07/04/2013

Thanks

Why do you need a BIOS update?
  • were
    edited 18 April 2017 at 12:50AM
    Options
    it came with win 7, after putting on 10 the eventvwr had some unusual entries to do with overheating or bios - according to google, chip temps look to be in their 50's. besides, half the settings are not there like turning off wifi and bluetooth

Event id 37 "The speed of processor 7 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 6695 seconds since the last report."
  • NiftyDigits
    Options
    it came with win 7, after putting on 10 the eventvwr had some unusual entries to do with overheating or bios - according to google, chip temps look to be in their 50's. besides, half the settings are not there like turning off wifi and bluetooth

Event id 37 "The speed of processor 7 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 6695 seconds since the last report."

Have you upped your minimum processor state in Power Options?

FileDownloadHandler.ashx?fid=e84ab128-5b1f-44e7-972c-246732c013bf
  • were
    Options
    Thank you. No I have not tried that, and because it is a minimum setting would have thought it would have auto adjusted? The maximum though is already on 100. I'll set minimum to 100% too and see how it goes.
  • NiftyDigits
    Options
    Thank you. No I have not tried that, and because it is a minimum setting would have thought it would have auto adjusted? The maximum though is already on 100. I'll set minimum to 100% too and see how it goes.

50% would be a good start, otherwise it may impact on battery life
  • Jo4
    Jo4 Posts: 6,819 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    As an aside, the ten year old(released December 2006) Compaq Presario SR2125UK still has some upgrade-ability and therefore some life in it, for not too much of a spend.

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6700 for less than £10 via eBay.

jo8.jpg

2 GB (2x1GB) DDR2 PC2-5300 DESKTOP RAM £3.

So £16 for a CPU and 4 GB RAM upgrade that can run any Windows OS smoothly and easily. You could even put an SSD in there for optimal performance.

Even if you are afraid to attempt a CPU upgrade(no reason to be), the RAM upgrade for £3 to £6(if still on 1GB) and a clean install of Windows would improve things considerably. Further to that, swapping the mechanical drive with a solid state drive costing £45 would transform the performance.

The RAM was upgraded from 1GB to 2GB but the computer is really slow. The fan is constantly on for some reason. Don't know if it has been cleaned since the extra RAM was put in which was in the last 2 years - which obviously would not be helping.
  • Jo4
    Jo4 Posts: 6,819 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Here is a brief recap of what is needed:-

-This is a 70th birthday present therefore a brand new computer in a box is required.

-A good size of a screen - the persons sight is deteriorating.

-The person likes to play music on the computer and at the same time they want a word processing document open so they can have the words of the song open so they can sing along - a little like karaoke.

-They will want to be able to plug in their external floppy disk drive because some of their music toys still uses floppy disk drives.

-As you can tell from the mention of floppy disk drives the person does not like change - they do not like anything other than a desktop - no laptops, tablets, etc.

-The budget is a maximum of £400 but preferably £350.

-70th birthday is next week so it needs to be ordered now to have it here in time.

-The computer needs to be able to work straight out of the box without anything being added to the inside of it.

-I haven't much of a clue about computers, obviously, I know how to switch one on and not much else but it will be me who is responsible for getting the new computer up and running and when anything goes wrong with it I will be the one called upon so I will be back here torturing everyone again - although unintentional.

-The computer has to be delivered to Northern Ireland or be able to be collected in Northern Ireland, which may take longer to receive it.

I hope it is clear what I need without annoying or insulting anyone. I really need to get it ordered.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure