PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

chimney capped/ balloon/ other advice wanted

hi there.

I am currently renovating a property which has 2 chinneys (3 fires) which I want to leave revealed (the whole vase of flowers or logs thing). the fires need sweeping. After that i am a little puzzed. the ballon thing seems a common soloution and im not sure what capping involves. Others just shove some black bags up. can someone advise on what is best to do and also what capping involves and what the cost might be. Thanks in advance

Comments

• I'd like to know the answer as well...anyone??
  • bump - does anyone have any idea? many Thanks
  • dolce_vita
    dolce_vita Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    A chimney cap does what it says on the tin. It goes over the top of an unused chimney to stop rain and draughts coming down. It also stops birds from nesting and/or sh1tting in the chimney.

They are normally made of aluminium or terracotta with slits in them for ventilation.

The balloon is like an inflatable pillow that is put up your chimney deflated and then blown up to seal the chimney much lower down. But if you box in and seal the chimney up flush with the top of the hearth they are unecessary.
    dolce vita's stock reply templates

#1. The people that run these "sell your house and rent back" companies are generally lying thieves and are best avoided

#2. This time next year house prices in general will be lower than they are now

#3. Cheap houses are a good thing not a bad thing
  • hi dolce vita,

thanks 4 your advice. was all with you until you said about boxing and sealing the chiney, would you do this with plasterboard and seal the chimney that way or is there something im missing?
  • dolce_vita
    dolce_vita Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    Plasterboard, mdf, hardboard, plywood.

Anything like that. Then go around the edges with a bit of caulk or sealant and then paint/tile whatever.

The balloons are for people who still use the fire and is taken down when the fire is lit.
    dolce vita's stock reply templates

#1. The people that run these "sell your house and rent back" companies are generally lying thieves and are best avoided

#2. This time next year house prices in general will be lower than they are now

#3. Cheap houses are a good thing not a bad thing
  • just be careful if birds can get in the top of the chimney. I have an unused fire and my chimney was blocked with plastic bags at the bottom, last summer I had a fly infestation, turned out there were 2 dead birds rotting in the chimney :eek:
    Wiggly:heartpulsFB

• many Thanks to both of you
  • sooz
    sooz Posts: 4,560 Forumite
    I woke up one morning to find the whole living room covered in a layer of dust (later found out to be soot) We had mdf-ed off the top of the fireplace to stop draughts until we finally get round to buying a new fireplace.

Cleaned up...asssumed it had just been the bad weather, until the fireplace & board started moving :eek:

called the rspca, who refused to come unless I could prove the bird was injured. We had to prize the mdf off, and catch the ROOK :eek: in a sheet, and release him.

Had a roofer come round the next day and cap all our chimneys, with semi-circular capping tiles (technical description there :D ) and filled the remaining hole with wire, so eventually we can have a real fire. Cost £250 for all of them (6 or 8 in total I think...can't see now as it's dark outside...think that's how much it was..to be honest I think I would have paid anything not to have to meet another rook face to face)
  • Thanks for the replies! :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport