Clearance Stores/Outlets in Glasgow

weegie_2
weegie_2 Posts: 312
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
Hi

We're planning on spending some money on updating bits and pieces in our house this year. Was wondering if peeps out there new of any clearance/outlet stores for furniture and the likes around the Glasgow area?

4 years ago there was a Reid furniture outlet in Tradeston as we got our suite from there. Don't think it is there now so wonder if anyone new if there was one somewhere?

Also any furniture clearance outlets? Quite willing to go down the second hand route, so apart from the charity shops (I reg check the sal army store on Dumbarton road), is there any furniture places selling cheap (but well made) furniture.

Any suggestions much appreciated :-)

Comments

• Reid has reopened a clearance shop in Bell Street in Glasgow but there are no great bargains. There delivery charge is £60.00 which is likely to balance out the small savings that seem to be on offer. Might get better once it has been opened longer.
    Was told there is an auction in Great Western Road near the underground (Otago St area) on every second saturday. Have not been but could find the number in yell. com.
  • bubblegumcola
    bubblegumcola Posts: 1,100 Forumite
    I was in Next Clearance in the Forge yesterday and they had two or three dining tables reduced. You don't often see furniture in the clearance shop, usually just clothes, duvets set, etc. Can't think of anywhere nearby. I have heard of a place between Blantyre and Hamilton which has a showroom type place for secondhand furniture, can't remember the name but maybe if you google it. Might be worth a look. Are you a member of freecycle in Glasgow? You'd be amazed what people give away for nothing, leather sofas, bookcase, toys, even cars!!!

HTH
  • weegie_2
    Forumite
    I'm maybe try googling the secondhand place near blantyre - see what it throws up.

Been a member of freecycle for a while now and do use it a lot to declutter/pcik up stuff. Nothing has came up recently that I need but still keeping my eye on it everyday!:D

Thanks for the inof about the Reid clearance shop in Bell Street.
  • bubblegumcola
    Looks like I may have my info wrong about the place in Blantyre, so far all I could find is the Hamilton Furniture Initiative which appears to be only used by those referred by the social work department or similar to get help with free furniture. Not what i thought it was at all. Must be somewhere else I have heard of. Sounds like a good idea but probably not what you are looking for.

if I come up with anything else I'll post it up.
  • bubblegumcola
    Seems to be a lack of furniture factory outlets in Glasgow.

All I could come up with are

recap, 1 Tannoch Drive, Cumbernauld, G67 2XX
    (furniture and new/refurbished white goods)

Chalmer Second hand Furniture, 1032 Shettleston Road

Merkland St Furnishers, 21 Vine St, Glasgow

There's a scratch and dent place somewhere around Victoria Road on the South side which is good for cookers, etc.

Saw this place on line but its away down in Bolton, they do deal with major retailer seconds like M&S, Next, Laura Ashley, BHS.
    https://www.thefurniturefactoryoutlet.co.uk

Can't vouch for any of these places as I haven't tried them. I know someone who has a cooker from the scratch and dent place in Victoria Road and the cooker they got was fine.

I'm sure in the current climate there will be more and more second hand places springing up.

Only other things I thought of were Gumtree online or Scot-Ads paper or your local paper.
  • weegie_2
    Forumite
    yeah, a quick look myself and I am coming up with the same things. Think I might take a trip to a few of them and see if I can grab myself some bargains!

thought there would have been more kinda clearance places tho.....shame....
  • bubblegumcola
    Yes, I'm surprised too! If I hear of anywhere will post it up for you.
  • Happydaze
    Happydaze Posts: 116 Forumite
    I often used to go to Great Western Auctions in Otago Street and have picked up a few pieces there. I think they have an online catalogue you could check out. The auction is a great Saturday morning trip, the patter is great too!
  • Happydaze wrote: »
    I often used to go to Great Western Auctions in Otago Street and have picked up a few pieces there. I think they have an online catalogue you could check out. The auction is a great Saturday morning trip, the patter is great too!

Is it only antiques and fine art or do they have furniture and household items as well.
  • amanda40
    amanda40 Posts: 1,218 Forumite
    Comet have a scratch and dent place in Lomond Street, Possilpark was there yesterday they had lots of the american fridge freezers half price.
    No Longer addicted to Boots! - Well not today anyway!! :blushing:

Officially Mortgage free 31/07/2017 , 12 years early :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family