PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Getting onion/garlic smell out of my breadboard

We have a lovely jamie oliver chunky breadboard and i cut garlic/onions etc on it after my plastic ones went in the bin! BUT i cannot get the smell out. I have tried: Bicarb of soda, washing up liquid scrubbed in and left, antibac spray, lemon rubbed in and left..ideas?
Thanks

Comments

• Half a lemon with some rock salt did mine. sprinkle on the salt then rub with the lemon. If it's beyond a good scrub then you could sand it down with fine sandpaper.

Once you've managed to clean it make sure you oil it with the special oil you can get from cook shops (the name escapes me). This will help to seal the wood and stop smells from penetrating too badly.
  • jb5
    jb5 Posts: 90 Forumite
    I think I saw Kim &/or Aggie(sp?) use mustard powder.
    Maybe see if someone can confirm and/or search to see if they just rubbed the mustard in and then washed off as normal.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Salt and lemon works really well. I just use ordinary cooking oil to oil my chopping boards, and it seems to work fine. Try to avoid using detergent on them, or immersing them in water (just like seasoned cast iron pans really). Use lemon to clean, and salt if it needs a scrub (this works well for fishy smells too).
  • champys
    champys Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    I use lemon & salt too. Otherwise I always cut garlic in the same corner of the board, so I know to avoid that area with anything sensitive. And if I'm cutting up fruit or roll pastry on the board, I turn it over and use the other side (which is kept clean and NEVER used for onions, garlic or other smelly things).
    "Remember that many of the things you have now you could once only dream of" - Epicurus
  • Nordictat2
    Nordictat2 Posts: 1,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I use 1 part bleach and 3 parts water in a spray bottle. Spray and then wipe it and then air dry. If for any reason that doesn't work..fill your sink up with 1 cap full of bleach and HOT water and let sit for 10 mins. Rinse then clean with washing up liquid and if that doesn't work..time to buy a new one.
    :D *If you like the advice I give...let me know by clicking the THANKS button* :D
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Must admit I stick my wooden chopping boards in the dishwasher. Yes it wrecks them in time I expect...but it's two and a half years since I first got a dishwasher and my four wooden chopping boards (which were well used before the DW arrived, even) seem to be holding out just fine.
    Val.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport