Comping Guide - Getting Started & Other FAQs

Comments

• VelvetGlove
    VelvetGlove Posts: 12,008
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    All done and updated into the Guide :)

Thanks for the pm! x
    Sad because you don't know what to do? :sad: Comping question? Take a look in the Comping Guide to find out :smiley:
  • fire**fly
    fire**fly Posts: 147,789
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    All done and updated into the Guide :)

Thanks for the pm! x

thanks VG & thanks for updating,
    glad to help & thanks for pm back x
    please be a responsible pet owner & spay/neuter your pets, too many strays & not enough homes for them sadly. k2u58ioz4c8e.png

• Can I repost a competition that still has a week to run? We originally posted it a week ago but now it is buried. Can I repost or duplicate it without breaking the rules?
    Thanks
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,878
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    ptoner27 wrote: »
    Can I repost a competition that still has a week to run? We originally posted it a week ago but now it is buried. Can I repost or duplicate it without breaking the rules?
    Thanks

No and why would you want to? Maybe it's self-promotion and shouldn't be on here anyway.
  • All competitions are a form of promotion surely?
  • mjm3346
    Forumite
    ptoner27 wrote: »
    All competitions are a form of promotion surely?

Self-promotion is against the forum rules.
  • Hi, I have a couple of questions about setting up an email and paypal (I know Free Postcode Lottery only makes payment using paypal, so I assume paypal may be useful for some other lotteries/ comps too):

1. can I set up an email as unrelated to myself as possible, i.e. not use my real name when creating it (I think you can do that with Google), or will that affect me receiving any prizes I win?

2. is it best for me to set a new paypal account (with a card and bank details not previously used of course) instead of just linking the new comp email to my existing paypal account (this way if there are any problems it won't affect my main paypal account)?

thanks x
  • mjm3346
    Forumite
    Your e-mail address can be almost anything you want, it doesn't have to be connected to your name.

Free postcode lottery can pay as Amazon vouchers
    The reason we send money via PayPal is so that you do not have to enter your bank details onto yet another website. If you do not have a PayPal account connected to the email you register with then you will receive an email from PayPal explaining what you need to do to get your money.

If, at that point, you really don't want to sign up to PayPal please get in touch and ask for the winnings in the form of an Amazon E-Voucher.
  • mjm3346 wrote: »
    Your e-mail address can be almost anything you want, it doesn't have to be connected to your name.

Free postcode lottery can pay as Amazon vouchers

Thanks for this MJM3346.

x
  • toniq
    toniq Posts: 29,340
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Posting Comps

1 How can I find comps to post on here, I’ve entered loads & want to give some back?
    Regular compers on MSE already post the daily ITV comps & will arrange for someone to cover them if they aren't going to be around - because the search facility won't pick something up for at least 30 mins after posting, regular posters will probably have this in hand! Also, the magazine comps that have their own threads have lists of people who buy the magazines, answer the puzzles and post the answers. Please respect these existing posters as it's their money they're using to buy mags & give us answers. If you're interested in posting a particular magazine then either post in that mags thread or if you can't find the actual thread then post in Compers Chat Corner Board to ask about it & another comper will help point you in the right direction.

At the end of the day, no comper 'owns the right' to post a particular comp but please take a moment, have a look around & ask in Compers Chat Corner Board, if necessary, to ask if there's a regular poster. Let's keep this a friendly place to play, avoid dupes & misunderstandings :)

As you surf you may come across a comp which hasn’t been posted here yet, although you'll find a lot of them have been hunted out & posted. Some MSE Compers have regular sites they check & others will just come across comps in their email or when they surf. If you do a Google search for comps be careful they're still running as it's easy to find ended comps which haven’t been taken offline.

You can also find comps on magazines websites. If you need some ideas then try looking on WH Smith to give the more unusual magazine names. Google a particular magazine name to find out if it has a website. Then it's just a matter of looking on the website to see if they have any comps which aren't already posted!

Your local library can be an excellent source of new comps as they have a lot of non mainstream mags / publications. When you go to the library take a pen / paper (to write comps down), if you have a camera phone then you could take pictures of the comp pages to look at when you get home. Some libraries have a photocopier, although they may charge to copy things. Also a big plus for libraries (unlike newsagents) is staff don't hassle you writing the comp info down, photographing it or even photocopying it for sharing later.

Don't feel bad if you can’t find any new comps to post, you can contribute in other ways like posting answers, joining in with discussions, PM’ing BGs with closed comps still in the main forum, spotting dupe comps, etc. Even if you're not able to help with answers or feel a little shy about posting then don’t worry.

2 How do I search to see if a comp has been posted?
    The Forum Search is not foolproof although if you take a couple of easy steps then it can help you not to post duplicate comps.

On any Forum page, just above where the threads are listed you will see the option to ‘Search this Forum’, click this & then select ‘Advanced Search’.
    Search1.jpg
    A new screen will open, which is the Advanced Search screen & seems to be more responsive to searches.

Please refer to the image below for numbered steps.
    Search2.jpg
    1. Key Words.
      Take the main part of a comp page address (URL) & type / paste it here.
      For Example, if http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/competitions/show/id/2704 is the comp page, use keyword: goodtoknow.co.uk
      Also, for the radio comps, try searching for the part of the url that starts '/Article...' it should bring up the other stations if they have been posted.

I recommend you only use the main part of the comp URL as sometimes comps change location on a site.

If that search brings back too many results, then try using a word from the comp which will have been used if it was posted on MSE to narrow it down slightly.
      For Example, goodtoknow.co.uk watch

You could also use the answer to search again, just to ensure you aren’t about to post a comp that is already on here.
    2. Search Forums.
      If Competitions Time is not already highlighted in the list, scroll down the list & click it to highlight.
    3. Also search in child forums.
      Ensure box is ticked - the search will also check in Competitions Time sub forums (the I won! Forum, the Game Over Forum & the Regular Competitions Forum).
    Click on the 'Search Now' button & it will bring back a list of results. Read through the list carefully to see if the comp has been posted. Repeat the search a couple of times with different search criteria to be more certain that it's a new one.

Something else to be aware of is that it can take a couple of hours for the forum software to include new threads into the search function. Take a quick glance down the last couple of pages of threads to check for comps that sound similar to the one you're about to post.

Another way some MSE Compers use to search for specific comps is to use the Google Search Engine. If you wanted to search for, say, Kung Fu Panda comps in the forum then you would type:
    "Kung Fu Panda" "competition" site:forums.moneysavingexpert.com
    (Placement of the speech marks as that is very important!)

3 What is an affiliate link?
    An affiliate link is one where the URL contains tracking info which results in someone being rewarded if people go to the site via that link. MSE does not allow members to use affiliate links.

4 Do any sites not want their comps/answers posted?
    Please let me know if you come across any others:
    • Allinlondon.co.uk - Don't post answers
    • AnoushkaLoves.com - Don't post comps
    • BelenosTherapy.co.uk - Don't post answers
    • BeyondHollywood.com - Don't post comps
    • B N 1 Magazine.co.uk - Don't post comps
    • BTAA.org.uk - Don't post answers
    • CecilyLovesBeauty.wordpress.com - Don't post comps
    • ChrisAndPhilPresent.co.uk - Don't post answers
    • ClassicStyleX.blogspot.co.uk - Don't post comps
    • CoreMagOnline.com - Don't post comps
    • CoronationStreetUpdates.blogspot.com - Don't post comps
    • DailyMail.co.uk - don't post answers to 'daily questions'
    • DiscWorldMonthly.co.uk - Don't post answers
    • EventsVenues.com - Don't post answers
    • facebook.com/eventsvenues - Don't post answers
    • ExtraEthical.com - Don't post answers
    • GlamBeautys.com - Don't post comps
    • GorePress.com - Don't post comps
    • HaveKidsCanTravel.co.uk - Don't post answers
    • HideawaysInHay.co.uk - Don't post answers
    • HideAwayWinners.com - Don't post answers
    • HollyAndTheIvy.co.uk - Don't post answers
    • HorrorTalk.com - Don't comps
    • HunkyDoryHome.co.uk - Don't post any info except link to comp
    • IamNRC.com - Don't post comps
    • I HeartCosmetics.co.uk - Don't post comps
    • Imperfectly Natural - Don't post answers
    • IWantYouToKnow.co.uk - Don't post comps
    • JulianStockwin.com - Don't post answers
    • KidAround.Biz - Don't post comp email address
    • Kmag.co.uk - Don't post answers
    • LawAndMore.co.uk - Don't post any info except link to comp
    • LittleStuff.co.uk - Don't post answers
    • LoraLoves.com - Don't post comps
    • @LoraLovesx - Don't post comps
    • LucyWrites01.blogspot.co.uk - Don't post comps
    • LunchBreakAdventures.wordpress.com - Don't post comps (site online until July 2015)
    • MakeupSavvy.co.uk - Don't post comps
    • MCMBuzz.com - Don't post answers
    • @MeIsAFairy - Don't post comps
    • MumsZone.co.uk - Don't post answers
    • MyChild.co.uk - Don't post answers
    • facebook.com/Nigel O Haracom - Don't post comps
    • Node4.co.uk - Don't post answers
    • OMGtt.com (OMG Magazine) - Don't post comps
    • PenniesForAPound.blogspot.co.uk - Don't post comps
    • PeoniesAndLilies.com - Don't post comps
    • PositiveLuxury.com - Don't post comp email address
    • RealmOfHorror.co.uk - Don't post any info except link to comp
    • RealNappyWeek.org - Don't post answers
    • RideRater.co.uk - Don't post answers
    • SafeConcerts.com - Don't post answers
    • facebook.com/SmartGeezer - Don't post answers
    • StyleLingua.co.uk - Don't post comps
    • SugarAndViceDesigns.com - Don't post comps
    • facebook.com/pages/Sugar-Vice/37992071492 - Don't post comps
    • StalePopcorn.co.uk - Don't post answers (see this thread)
    • SuccessThroughPlay.blogspot.com - Don't post comp email address
    • TeaPartyBeauty.com - Don't post comps
    • TheHuntingGround.net - Don't post answers
    • The-LittleNomad.blogspot.co.uk - Don't post comps
    • TheSchoolRun.com - Don't post answers
    • TheSundayGirl.com - Don't post comps
    • TheSwanseaBay.co.uk - Don't post answers
    • TVisCool.com - Don't post email address or answers
    • UKFisherman.com - Don't post answers
    • Viva.org.uk - Don't post comps
    • WatchGeezer.co.uk - Don't post answers
    • WhatsGoodToDo.com - Don't post answers
    • WomensThoughts.co.uk - Don't post email address or answers
    • facebook.com/WomansWeekly - Don't post comps

5 Why am I unable to post a link/URL for a comp?

There could be 2 reasons for this:

1 - If you have recently joined MSE or haven't made very many posts then you may find a restriction in place that means you can't post links to other websites (URLs). This was brought in by MSE Towers to try to stem the flow of spam. The number of posts you need to make before you can post links has not been made public by MSE (& they do not want the number known), however, the experience of other compers has shown it's not a huge number of posts. Simply type the URL with a space in it & another member will soon be along to post a clickable link for your thread.

2 - If you post a link & can only see a few !!!! instead of the correct URL that site has been banned from MSE. There are many reasons why this could be & MSE do not want a list of banned sites/reasons published. You risk losing your posting privileges if you find a way around this ban, so please don't try.

6 How do I post a comp on here?

Firstly, do a thorough search (see above) to ensure it is not already on MSE.

Check you are in the Competitions Time Forum & then click ‘New Thread’, from the link at the top or bottom of any main forum page.
    NewPost1.jpg

A new page is displayed to fill information about the comp you want to post.

NewPost2.jpg
    1. Put the date at the beginning of the title box, & please use the Forum standard, below.

E: XX/XX, For Example, E: 02/04 Win a .....

This makes things a lot easier for the BGs & Compers (like you) to find comps ending. If the comp ends within 12 months then it is fine to put the dd/mm date as explained above. If you have a rare comp that has more than a year to the end date, please stick to the posting convention above, put a space & put the year in brackets - but only if it is MORE THAN 12 months ahead.
      E: 02/04 (2018) Win....... Only if comp is more than 12 months from ending.

If you can’t see the closing date for a comp in the T & C or on the webpage please estimate an end date. Without an end date on the thread title it will be moved into the Game Over sub forum prematurely, which would be a waste of your effort posting it. If you had to estimate the end date pop that into your post so if, later on, the website add an end date another member can highlight the new info.

E: 30/06 (?) Win

The Thread Title needs a short description of the prize that can be won, For Example, Holiday to Tenerife.

If you are posting the answers to a mag with multiple comps & answers then put the mag name & issue in the thread title, eg, That’s Life Magazine Issue 10

If the comp is entered by a specific means or there's an age / location restriction, it's helpful to put that in the title in brackets.

Some of examples of this could be:
      Rafflecopter = (RC)
      Gleam = (GL) or (GLEAM)
      Email = (Email)
      Twitter = (TW)
      Facebook = (FB)
      Location restriction = (inside M25) or (town name) etc
      Under 16s = (U16)

If noticed, it would be helpful to mention in the title if a particular action is needed to unlock the other entries on a GL or RC comp. For example, a FB action is needed before other entries are made available - perhaps: (GL, FB req'd) or similar.

If a comp has a particular end time it is useful if it is posted in the thread title too.

So a few examples to sum it up:
      E: 28/12 Win a Trip to New York (FB)
      E: 17/04 Win a Spa Break (GL)
      E: 15/09 Win Bee movie DVD (U16)
      E: 15/05 Take a Break issue 23
      E: 10/04 Win posh soap (TW)
      E: 05/03 3pm Win Indiana Jones Goody Bag (RC)
      E: 07/01 Win £50 ToysRUs vouchers (email)(Oxford)
    2. In the main body of the post, you type the link to the page & whether it's a comp where you need to login / register. (Neat link or clickies in just a moment). When posting a comp you should use excerpts & links rather than copying long text.
    You can ‘Preview Post’ to see how it'll look, if you want, before you click to ‘Submit New Thread’. Please remember if a site URL appears as !!!!!! in the preview it's a site which has been banned on MSE & shouldn't be posted.

Bauer / Heart Radio Station Competitions:
    You can only enter through one Bauer station now, including Kerrang, (but not Kiss for some reason).

You can also only enter through one Heart station, and whilst you don't have to enter through your local station they prefer you to. The regular comp poster for these posts a list of all the stations for the big prizes to make it easier to enter.

7 How can I amend my thread title if I need to?

To edit the thread title you can click 'Edit' then select 'Go Advanced'.
    TitleAmend1.jpg

TitleAmend2.jpg

The next screen shows your post & above it are 2 boxes 'Reason for Editing', which you don't have to complete & also 'Title' which has your thread title info in it. Simply click into the Title box & amend your text as necessary. You can 'Preview Changes' to see how it will look, if you want, before you click to 'Save Changes'.
    TitleAmend3.jpg

8 How can I delete my post if I need to?

If you want to delete your post because you accidentally duplicated a comp already on MSE then it would be better if you PM a BG with the details (see 'What do I do if I see a comp which has already been posted on here?' / 'How do I send a merge request to a Board Guide?' above for help with this) & some MSE Compers also amend the Title of their thread, For Example, ‘Dupe - merge requested’. Since the post isn't deleted it means if anyone entered from your duplicate post there would still be a record of their ‘Thanks’ on your post when it is merged with the original.

If the post you want to delete is on another MSE Compers thread then you should be able to click 'Edit' on your post.
    DeletePost1.jpg
    On the image below follow the numbered steps.
    DeletePost2.jpg
    1. Click the ‘Delete’ button, the box expands & the other options below the line become visible.
    2. Select ‘Delete Message’ & insert the reason for deleting your post in the box. The post & the reason for deletion will still be seen by BGs & Moderators but normal MSE Compers will no longer be able to see the post.
    Click on ‘Delete this Message’ to complete the deletion of your post.

9 How do I do a 'clicky' instead of putting the full URL?
    On the image below, follow the numbered steps.
    Clicky1.jpg
    Right click & copy the URL of the comp you want to post.
    1. Type the text you want to be your neat link / clicky, For Example, ‘Hamper Clicky’ on the post & then highlight it. (I also make the word/s bold too at this point so they show up better in the post).
    2. Click the icon of a world with a paper clip under it & a box will appear.
    Clicky2.jpg
    Remove 'http://' already in the box & then paste the comp URL in. Then click 'OK'. Your neat link / clicky is now done.

If you find it easier to be shown how to do this, please take a look at the video below made by fellow comper mclarkie.

It shows how to turn text into a link but instead of using the word 'Hamper Clicky' they are using the actual thread title. This style of clickable link is used for posts to the Daily and Weekly comp threads located in the Regular Competitions Forum. (If you post a comp that can be entered daily or weekly, as well as noting that in your title, it's really helpful to add a post to the appropriate daily/weekly thread in the Regular Competitions Forum. By copying your title instead of 'clicky', it is much more descriptive and useful on these particular threads.).

If you aren't able to see the YouTube video above then this link should take you directly to it on YouTube.

(Please note, I have no control over the videos on the screen after the 'MSE Forum, adding links to text' video has ended!)

10 How can I put a picture in my post?
    Once you've found the image you want, you need to obtain its properties. (Right click the image & select properties). The properties should end in .gif or .jpeg
    Highlight & copy the image location, then return to your posting screen on MSE. Put your cursor in the post where you want the picture to appear.
    PicturePost1.jpg

Click the 'insert image' icon & remove the 'http://' text from the box which appears, (as mentioned above) & click 'OK'.

Preview the post first because the picture may be huge & stretch the page which is a bad thing. If the Preview looks OK then when you submit the post should too.

If you end up with a little red cross that is bad as you have hotlinked - you've directly linked to an image the originating site doesn't want people to link to directly. So you'll either need to find another image which isn’t protected against hotlinking or save the image & host it yourself, which is outside the scope of this Guide. There is another Image Guide elsewhere on MSE which goes into the more complex areas further.

Do remember there are possible copyright restrictions on images on the net & these must be respected.

11 Are there any sites, from experience, which are likely to generate lots of spam?
    There are a few which have come to our collective attention as sites that, when used for comps, seem to generate lots of unwanted postal, email & phone call attention. These are listed below for your information, however, please do remember this is the collective opinion of other MSE Compers & does not necessarily reflect upon the sites themselves.

2minutedraw
    4FreeUK
    ABCWins
    ActiveYou
    BonAccordLife (spam calls, info here)
    Bouncing-Babies
    Cashillion
    Catalink
    Clash Club
    Clash media
    Club La Costa
    Consumer Lifestyles
    Consumer Opinions
    Craftomatic Beds (Comps appear to be just a way to get a salesman into your home, especially if vulnerable/alone)
    Emailinform
    eGENTIC (see Planet49 below)
    EZ Prize Giveaway
    Fair Exchange
    FindAPrize (questions raised if prizes awarded, slight spam, non existant company address? Info here & here)
    Foresters (pestered with calls and even salesmen turning up. See here and here for more info)
    Freeb.ie
    GetMeATicket
    GetYourBillsPaid
    GreatUKsurveys
    Guide2Win
    HelloMagazine (offers.hellomagazine.com - comps on this URL have caused spam to some compers, be aware!)
    InstantPrizeDraw
    Just-Rewards
    Lingscars
    MyConsumer
    MyFamilyUK
    MyOffers
    NoizeMakesEnemies (Care - your profile with name, address, phone number & email appear to be on show with no way to make it private!)
    Nuts (comps.nuts.co.uk - comps on this URL run by data collecting co. Data Media & Research Ltd.)
    OffersClick
    OfferX
    Opinioniser
    Optical Express (have pestered with calls, more info here and here - scroll to posts 12 Nov'12 onwards)
    Optimax
    PenicuUK.com (linked to Weatherseal below)
    PickUpThe Prizes
    Planet49 (please read here, here, here & here for more info, aka: eGENTIC )
    PlayAndWin (beware emails received, see this thread for info)
    Plum Offers
    PostcodeLottery (see here, here, here & here - don't confuse with FreePostcodeLottery who are fine)
    Premier Christian Radio (postal junk mail even when you opt out)
    Prize4U
    Prizes.UK
    PrizePunch
    PrizeStore
    RewardsToday
    Sandersons Blinds (various comp sites but prize is for blinds from this company, Thomas Sanderson - pestered very badly, read here for more info)
    ShopBe
    Simple2Win
    SoapBoxSurvey
    SoFreebies
    Space Kitchens (see thread here)
    SupremeOGlaze (linked to Weatherseal below)TheStarPrize
    Swooosh
    Tickbox
    Topfox
    Toyhound
    UKDailyDeals
    UkPrize
    UK-PrizeDraw
    Vaniki
    VoiceInACrowd
    Vouch4me
    WatchMyWallet
    Weatherseal
    Weather Wherever
    Whats On TV (now 'powered by Instant Win 4 Now')
    Willowbrook (chairs) (pestered with phone calls quite badly on some comps - see here and also here)
    Win 4 Now
    Win24
    YouLoveFreebies
    Zenith Windows (linked to Weatherseal above)
    Ziinga (beware emails received, see this thread for info)

I have a question which hasn’t been covered here, what should I do?
    Oops looks like I missed it, sorry! Please post your question in the Compers Chat Corner Board (which is a sub Forum of the Competitions Time Forum). Another MSE Comper may well have the answer for you & reply. I'll try to keep this Guide up to date to help future MSE Compers.

Happy Comping!

Save
    Save

Hi Vg, ltns hope you are good and still flaming!

Can you add my twitter to the do not post list in section 4 above @meisafairy

Cheers M'dear, love to you both x

T
    #JusticeForGrenfell
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills