Comping Guide - Getting Started & Other FAQs

Comments

• mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,878
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Hi mjm3346, unless I'm missing something, that isn't a comp thread as it's in Discount Codes 'n Vouchers. (Apologies, it's been a hard week, with long hours so I could be missing something very obvious!!)

Can you narrow it down for me please, exactly what comp thread is posting quesions/answers so I can take a look and update the Comping Guide with the right info?

That isn't a comp thread it's where the info about not posting answers originates.

Each paper has a unique code there is also a question that you can answer based on that issue of the paper in case the code is unreadable - you need codes/answers to enter some competitions/join the reward club, this thread had some answers posted

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5247721
  • VelvetGlove
    VelvetGlove Posts: 12,008
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thanks mjm3346 - I've added Daily Mail 'answer to daily questions' to the list in the Guide :)
    Sad because you don't know what to do? :sad: Comping question? Take a look in the Comping Guide to find out :smiley:
  • VelvetGlove
    Forumite
    Thanks to a PM from weeowens, I've just added 'Vaniki' to the list of sites we've found to generate spam.

Here's that part of the Guide, but you can always find the most up to date list on post number 7, topic 11 :
    (Note: If you bookmark the link to post 7 above, at topic 4 you'll find the list of sites that don't want their comps/answers posted, so it's a useful post to remember :) )

11 Are there any sites, from experience, which are likely to generate lots of spam?
    There are a few which have come to our collective attention as sites that, when used for comps, seem to generate lots of unwanted postal, email & phone call attention. These are listed below for your information, however, please do remember this is the collective opinion of other MSE Compers & does not necessarily reflect upon the sites themselves.

2minutedraw
    4FreeUK
    ABCWins
    ActiveYou
    BonAccordLife (spam calls, info here)
    Bouncing-Babies
    Cashillion
    Catalink
    Clash Club
    Clash media
    Club La Costa
    Consumer Lifestyles
    Consumer Opinions
    Craftomatic Beds (Comps appear to be just a way to get a salesman into your home, especially if vulnerable/alone)
    Emailinform
    eGENTIC (see Planet49 below)
    EZ Prize Giveaway
    Fair Exchange
    FindAPrize (questions raised if prizes awarded, slight spam, non existant company address? Info here & here)
    Foresters (pestered with calls and even salesmen turning up. See here and here for more info)
    Freeb.ie
    GetMeATicket
    GetYourBillsPaid
    GreatUKsurveys
    Guide2Win
    HelloMagazine (offers.hellomagazine.com - comps on this URL have caused spam to some compers, be aware!)
    InstantPrizeDraw
    Just-Rewards
    Lingscars
    MyConsumer
    MyFamilyUK
    MyOffers
    NoizeMakesEnemies (Care - your profile with name, address, phone number & email appear to be on show with no way to make it private!)
    Nuts (comps.nuts.co.uk - comps on this URL run by data collecting co. Data Media & Research Ltd.)
    OffersClick
    OfferX
    Opinioniser
    Optical Express (have pestered with calls, more info here and here - scroll to posts 12 Nov'12 onwards)
    Optimax
    PenicuUK.com (linked to Weatherseal below)
    PickUpThe Prizes
    Planet49 (please read here, here, here & here for more info, aka: eGENTIC )
    PlayAndWin (beware emails received, see this thread for info)
    Plum Offers
    PostcodeLottery (see here, here, here & here - don't confuse with FreePostcodeLottery who are fine)
    Premier Christian Radio (postal junk mail even when you opt out)
    Prize4U
    Prizes.UK
    PrizePunch
    PrizeStore
    RewardsToday
    Sandersons Blinds (various comp sites but prize is for blinds from this company, Thomas Sanderson - pestered very badly, read here for more info)
    ShopBe
    Simple2Win
    SoapBoxSurvey
    SoFreebies
    Space Kitchens (see thread here)
    SupremeOGlaze (linked to Weatherseal below)TheStarPrize
    Swooosh
    Tickbox
    Topfox
    Toyhound
    UKDailyDeals
    UkPrize
    UK-PrizeDraw
    Vaniki
    VoiceInACrowd
    Vouch4me
    WatchMyWallet
    Weatherseal
    Weather Wherever
    Whats On TV (now 'powered by Instant Win 4 Now')
    Willowbrook (chairs) (pestered with phone calls quite badly on some comps - see here and also here)
    Win 4 Now
    Win24
    Zenith Windows (linked to Weatherseal above)
    Ziinga (beware emails received, see this thread for info)

Let's have fun comping and stay away from those sites which cause us spam :)
    Sad because you don't know what to do? :sad: Comping question? Take a look in the Comping Guide to find out :smiley:
  • aurion22
    aurion22 Posts: 146
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Is anyone else having problems signing in to the FreePostcodeLottery site? Suddenly I'm just getting sent to the signup page all the time.
    :-(
    Loretta
  • VelvetGlove
    Forumite
    edited 10 April 2016 at 7:30PM
    I was alerted to this thread in the Compers Chat Corner and have made some amendments to the Guide around helpful annotations to thread titles. This should help our newer comp posters if they need it :)

The part of the Guide I updated is: the Posting Comps section, 6 How do I post a comp on here?

Excerpt below...

1. If the comp is entered by a specific means or there's an age / location restriction, it's helpful to put that in the title in brackets.

Some of examples of this could be:
      Rafflecopter = (RC)
      Gleam = (GL) or (GLEAM)
      Email = (Email)
      Twitter = (TW)
      Facebook = (FB)
      Location restriction = (inside M25) or (town name) etc
      Under 16s = (U16)

If noticed, it would be helpful to mention in the title if a particular action is needed to unlock the other entries on a GL or RC comp. For example, a FB action is needed before other entries are made available - perhaps: (GL, FB req'd) or similar.

If a comp has a particular end time it is useful if it is posted in the thread title too.

So a few examples to sum it up:
      E: 28/12 Win a Trip to New York (FB)
      E: 17/04 Win a Spa Break (GL)
      E: 15/09 Win Bee movie DVD (U16)
      E: 15/05 Take a Break issue 23
      E: 10/04 Win posh soap (TW)
      E: 05/03 3pm Win Indiana Jones Goody Bag (RC)
      E: 07/01 Win £50 ToysRUs vouchers (email)(Oxford)
  • VelvetGlove
    Forumite
    Fire**fly sent me a message to let me know the Board Guides have changed on our forum. (Thanks
    fire**fly!) :)

I've amended the guide with a new picture of the Board Guide area from the main page and also edited the text where necessary.

It's the first item under this post in the Guide

(I've a feeling Glad is going to be even more busy :( so let's try to make her life as easy as we can!)

That's all folks! :)
  • Lrsw
    Lrsw Posts: 17 Forumite
    Hi I recently (yesterday) started entering comps and after first 20 or so realised I needed a better system. I re read the help guide and your FAQs guide. As I'm using a smartphone many of the features don't seem to be available. If I give thanks and hit back to view the list it doesn't register my thanks. It doesn't register green tick at all. I can mark with a cross but they sometimes don't stay. I don't have all the various sorting threads options either.
    Any help or advice would be appreciated with where I'm going wrong.
  • Marg2k8
    Marg2k8 Posts: 5,838
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Lrsw wrote: »
    Hi I recently (yesterday) started entering comps and after first 20 or so realised I needed a better system. I re read the help guide and your FAQs guide. As I'm using a smartphone many of the features don't seem to be available. If I give thanks and hit back to view the list it doesn't register my thanks. It doesn't register green tick at all. I can mark with a cross but they sometimes don't stay. I don't have all the various sorting threads options either.
    Any help or advice would be appreciated with where I'm going wrong.

Refreshing the page usually shows them all ok.
    Save
  • polly453
    polly453 Posts: 470
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I apologies if this is in the wrong place but I've been searching and cant find the answer anywhere.
    My RoboForm is up for renewal but now it doesn't work on the windows edge upgrade thingy I am having to use windows explorer to make any use of RoboForm, is there any alternative as its expensive and doesn't seem to work correctly sometimes?
  • fire**fly
    fire**fly Posts: 147,789
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 3 November 2016 at 10:11PM
    hi VG, pm sent you & posting here
    seems this site doesn't want answers posted,
    could you please add it to your list,
    http://hollyandtheivy.co.uk/index.php/christmas-2016-competition/
    home
    http://hollyandtheivy.co.uk/#

ETA..
    haven't sent to
    Sticky: Websites that don't want their competitions posted on MSE
    as the thread has never been updated despite sending information to be added & thread is now closed.
    please be a responsible pet owner & spay/neuter your pets, too many strays & not enough homes for them sadly. k2u58ioz4c8e.png

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure