State Pension - Marriage

Options
Hi folks. Does anyone know how long a couple must be married before they are able to (potentially) inherit the other halfs state pension. My parents have been partnered 30 years plus and have only just realised (penny dropped). That marriage may be a good idea for a few reasons with regards retirement planning

Comments

• tempus_fugit
    Options
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,822 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension/inheriting-or-increasing-state-pension-from-a-spouse-or-civil-partner

If either of them have a defined benefit private pension, they may find that there is a spouses pension associated with it. i know both of mine come with one, and it's for this very reason that my other half and i are getting married (very quitely) in a few weeks after 25+ years of 'living in sin'.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Would they also be able to benefit from the spousal exemption if they were married - that depends on how much their estates will be.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ... they are able to (potentially) inherit the other halfs state pension. My parents have been partnered 30 years plus and have only just realised (penny dropped).

How old is each?
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • smartypants1902
    Options
    54 and 63. My mum has a defined ben through NHS (not much) but my dad is strictly state pension only. I'm concerned in the event of his passing my mum won't get to inherit any of his sp and will be exposed to financial hardship at retirement with little sp and a nothing defined ben through nhs
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,822 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    54 and 63. My mum has a defined ben through NHS (not much) but my dad is strictly state pension only. I'm concerned in the event of his passing my mum won't get to inherit any of his sp and will be exposed to financial hardship at retirement with little sp and a nothing defined ben through nhs

As far as I know the only inheritable bit of a state pension is any additional pension over and the basic that they may have built up. They can check how much this would be via the Pension Service.

I'm not that familiar with the details of the NHS pension but I think they will accept long term partners, not just spouses, as eligible for a dependants pension providing the employee fills in a form to say that they are in a long term relationship. If your parents don't get married then your mum should check if this is possible and if so ensure that she completes the relevant forms to ensure that your dad could inherit part of her NHS pension if your mum dies first.
  • hyubh
    hyubh Posts: 3,531 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm concerned in the event of his passing my mum won't get to inherit any of his sp and will be exposed to financial hardship at retirement with little sp and a nothing defined ben through nhs

How is it 'nothing' - how long has she been a member of the NHS scheme...?
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My mum has a defined ben through NHS (not much)

I recall from a while ago that the average NHS pension is quite low around 5-6k pa mainly due to low wage/ part time working by many scheme members, so not a high percentage work or worked full time in well paid roles. The advantage of the DB is of course the annual increases.

Your Mum should have been asked to nominate someone to receive "a survivors pension", this usually is a partner/ spouse, she can check with the NHS Pension Agency if she has nominated your Dad by ringing them and if she hasn't already done so it is a simple form to complete.

The survivor gets roughly half the pension that the pension holder gets usually but it is worth checking. It is better to nominate someone while alive rather than the other way round of them possibly having to demonstrate that they were dependent on their partners pension at a time of grief following their loss of partner.
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    crv1963 wrote: »
    I recall from a while ago that the average NHS pension is quite low around 5-6k pa mainly due to low wage/ part time working by many scheme members, so not a high percentage work or worked full time in well paid roles. The advantage of the DB is of course the annual increases.

Your Mum should have been asked to nominate someone to receive "a survivors pension", this usually is a partner/ spouse, she can check with the NHS Pension Agency if she has nominated your Dad by ringing them and if she hasn't already done so it is a simple form to complete.

The survivor gets roughly half the pension that the pension holder gets usually but it is worth checking. It is better to nominate someone while alive rather than the other way round of them possibly having to demonstrate that they were dependent on their partners pension at a time of grief following their loss of partner.

I don't doubt that the annual pension may be quite low in many cases but it's hugely valuable.

For the values quoted above you're looking at an equivalent lump sum of maybe £200k to generate it, so significant figures.
  • TARDIS
    TARDIS Posts: 160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Your mum can log onto the total rewards website to confirm if she's nominated your dad to recieve partner benefits in the event of her death. As far as I am aware you can't apply for these retrospectively after someone's death, but I might be wrong. He would automatically be entitled to them if they marry.

This website will also give her estimations of how much she's likely to recieve at NPA and how much death in service benefits would be (depends on which scheme she's in amongst other things).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure