cheapest way to get married abroad

Comments

• p-pincher
    p-pincher Posts: 727 Forumite
    me and oh are getting married in new york in december. we were going anyway and we decided to get married while we there, it cost $35 for the license and $25 for the actual wedding at the manhattan marriage bureau (like a registary office).
    March 2014 Grocery challenge £250.00
  • anderson8
    anderson8 Posts: 1,223 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    suzhosti30 wrote: »
    Hi, My fiance and booked our dream wedding package with Thomson in november, for this October in the Dominican Republic. We have just found out that we have to have all of our documents (birth certificates, decree nisi etc) translated into spanish. We were not made aware of this when we made our booking, and have just found out it will cost us £2000 on top of our wedding package. We are so dissapointed and are not sure wheter we can afford this extra cost. I just wanted to make others aware and get some tips if anyone knows of ways around this. Thanks, Susie.

i dont know anything about this, but surely there is a cheaper way to have them translated?
  • Birdie85
    Birdie85 Posts: 9,330 Forumite
    Susie, I'm planning on getting married in the Dominican next year and was aware about the documents but I think £2000 is a bit steep? OH works with someone whose DD got married there last year and got all their documents sorted for a few hundred. I think the trick is not to panic and to look around. We haven't booked our wedding yet but as soon as we do we'll be looking for the cheapest way to get our documents translated.

My main panic at the minute is finding my birth certificate! I'm also having dreams about turning up and not having an important bit of paper so we can't get married!
    Overcome the notion that you must be ordinary. It robs you of the chance to be extraordinary!
    Goal Weight 140lb Starting Weight: 160lb Current Weight 145lb
  • bingo_bango
    bingo_bango Posts: 2,594 Forumite
    I got married in Cuba 2 years ago and the only cost was a $35 local fee to the registrar. We didn't have to pay any translation fees either. The wedding itself was organised by the hotel, and IIRC was about £300 on top of the cost of the holiday. They will arrange witnesses if needed, and the wedding co-ordinator was waiting for us arriving.

The Cubam marriage cert took about 8 weeks to arrive back at home, but it was all fine.

I booked through www.theweddingsplace.co.uk who are based in London, and they were very helpful (even out us on their website :o)
  • How was it...a few yaers down the line now..am looking into it as all very complicated with fa,mily and will have to pay for a couple extra to go ourselves...any help appreciated
  • Hi,

I got married in Cyprus last year, and after doing a lot of searching about before hand, came to the conclusion that all-in, its probably the easiest and cheapest place to get wed in the world.

The actual wedding costs about £200 (a bit less..i cant remember exactly) We had a flashy two week stay in an all-inclusive hotel (so, you could stay cheaper if you wanted...rent an appartment or something..and have your honeymoon night in a flashy hotel) I had an averagely priced wedding dress and all the trimmings, he had a lovely hired wedding suit, we had 10 family members come over with us (no friends were invited...that was the whole reason of doing it abroad for us... we've got far too many friends and we didnt want a mahoooosive wedding in the Uk that we'd be paying off for 60 years!) we had a lovely reception/meal with our guests in a gorgeous local restaurant... the whole shebang cost us about £3.5k (and the overwhelming majority of that price was the actual holiday) We went through Olympic holidays.... if i did it again i would def NOT do it through a holiday company, i would organise it all myself (i pretty much did all that anyway!) They organised my wedding day transport and gorgeous flowers, cake etc etc. There is a brilliant website dedicated just to Cyprus weddings... it has everything you need to know about organising your own wedding in Cyprus, let me know if you want the address.

Hi
    I would appreciate any help! Getting Married in Pahos in May and don't know where to begin!! X
  • Another for Gibraltar!
    My daughter is getting married there in August and it's so simple, as it's a GB dependency there's no additional paperwork; in fact the registry website tells you everything you need to know. Just a tip though, you'll get a reply faster by email than you do trying to ring them!!
    My daughter is getting married in the botanical gardens with a champagne reception after and that plus the registrar's fees sees change from a couple of grand! Can't give exact costs cos we don't have final numbers yet.
    Everyone is flying into Malaga and staying on the Costa del Sol as it's slightly cheaper although there are apartments in Gibraltar and some good deals in the hotels atm so I've been told.
    It's a bonus that everyone speaks English and that things are priced in pounds!

OMG!!! I may change my mind from Cyprus lol!! Doe sthat include her flights and accomodation?? please mail details to me nicki.jd74@yahoo.com. Thank you.
  • VK-2008
    VK-2008 Posts: 926 Forumite
    this is a really old thread from few years ago, you can book holiday cheaply by booking things individually but going with a package wedding abroad means you have trained staff to help you and you know exaclty what is needed for what country. pop into travel agents i found thokmas cook were fab they have a dedicated wedding department.
    :A VK :A
  • OMG!!! I may change my mind from Cyprus lol!! Doe sthat include her flights and accomodation?? please mail details to me nicki.jd74@yahoo.com. Thank you.

E-mail sent hun!
  • Hi I am looking to get marriesd next year and I would prefer a carribean wedding but as we have elderly guests the flights would be too long. I have looked into Cyprus and am very interested in this. Is it possible to get married on the beach (toes in the sand type wedding)? Also could you please give me the site to have a look at.
    Many thanks
    Abi
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family