Problem with TSB contactless?

Comments

• Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    adindas wrote: »
    Try like in post #29 first and see whether it will solve your problem...

Based on my observation, they will block if the transaction is quite high say between £20-£30 ? and you have not used your PIN recently ...

The best way in my personal experience is to also use it as the main debit card to withdraw cash from cash machine. If you withdraw cash regularly e.g. a few times a week, I fully believe the chance that it will fail is very low, if it will ever happen again.

Try this first before you give up ...

I am aware of the way in which contactless works and the limits imposed which incidentally should now be £30 per transaction. Also TSB is my main account and I use the TSB debit card for practically everything.

It appears to me to be very far fetched that TSB should limit contactless transactions in order to limit the cashback but in my case that is at least the effect of what is happening.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    It's in Boots, the Post Office, Lidl, W H Smith, M&S, Co-op, Waitrose, Starbucks amongst others.
    Armed with this information I walked to the post office today to post my niece's birthday present. It didn't accept contactless payment, in fact it didn't accept any payment being closed for refurbishment.
    So I carried on walking & went to the next post office & posted the parcel there, no contactless facilities though. That post office is within a WH Smith so, not one to give up, I thought I'd buy a magazine. I waved my card across the terminal & the young man looked at me with a puzzled expression.
    I'll get to use it someday.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Anthorn
    Starting tomorrow I'll be keeping diary of TSB debit card contactless payment successes and failures along with receipts. I expect it to show that only one contactless payment, rarely two, are allowed and then the PIN will be required for the next transaction. Then I'll be using the diary as a stick with which to beat TSB.
  • anoncol
    anoncol Posts: 982 Forumite
    Ballard wrote: »
    I'm just happy that I'm not the only one to get the wrong end of the stick when it happened to me.

It does explain how it works in the leaflets that come with your card.
  • anoncol
    Chaykin wrote: »
    Of course I'm not saying that's the whole algorithm, but it's definitely a part of it as I empirically checked once by making 9 (sic!) consecutive transactions with my TSB debit card at Aldi! :-) Simply did my weekly shop and ask the guy behind the till to only scan few items at a time. (about 6-7 quid per transaction, luckily the store was quiet and there was no one behind me in the queue) 3 contactless payments went through OK, then it forced a PIN transaction when I tried contactless, then another 3 contactless payments went OK, another forced PIN one + final contactless one which was processed OK. ;-)

I also know that if you do 3 consecutive contactless transactions in a short period and then don't use the card for few days the "counter" will somehow reset itself and it will not force a Chip & PIN when you try contactless next time.

Lol, that's a terrible test, and proves nothing. It doesn't even take account of different stores.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,262 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I have been keeping records since this promotion started.

In the beginning, I was going around 6 transactions between needing to enter a PIN (and a well timed cash withdrawal would avoid it). More recently I've only managed around 4 transactions between being asked to enter my PIN - the difference? All my early transactions were sub-£10, whereas now they are often between £10-£15. So this seems to support a spending limit rather than a limit on the number of transactions. For me, that limit seems to be around £50.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 January 2016 at 9:35PM
    EssexExile wrote: »
    Armed with this information I walked to the post office today to post my niece's birthday present. It didn't accept contactless payment, in fact it didn't accept any payment being closed for refurbishment.
    So I carried on walking & went to the next post office & posted the parcel there, no contactless facilities though. That post office is within a WH Smith so, not one to give up, I thought I'd buy a magazine. I waved my card across the terminal & the young man looked at me with a puzzled expression.
    I'll get to use it someday.
    From 2012
    http://www.postaltechnologyinternational.com/news.php?NewsID=39950

and http://blog.postofficeshop.co.uk/apple-pay-available-at-all-post-office-branches/

I regularly use it in my little corner shop post office.
  • anoncol
    Anthorn wrote: »
    Starting tomorrow I'll be keeping diary of TSB debit card contactless payment successes and failures along with receipts. I expect it to show that only one contactless payment, rarely two, are allowed and then the PIN will be required for the next transaction. Then I'll be using the diary as a stick with which to beat TSB.

I've entered my pin once in 10 transactions though this month. That's confusing.
  • frank777
    frank777 Posts: 296 Forumite
    Personally I think that the "algorithm" is not so sophisticated ''Chaykin''

I don't have problems with my TSB Classic Plus cashback card anymore - I use it at Aldi/Lidl - 1st transaction @29p/59p Chip & Pin :D - rest of my shop contactless - works everytime. Plus the card is Primed and ready for use elsewhere - Never fails for me now!

Not very sophisticated - and it works ;)
  • Anthorn
    anoncol wrote: »
    I've entered my pin once in 10 transactions though this month. That's confusing.

Not really all that confusing when we consider that contactless at TSB is subject to status. I think in my case my account has been restricted and TSB have not told me about it. Since my problems with contactless started when I upgraded to Classic Plus I must conclude that the restriction applies to Classic Plus and not to Classic which doesn't have contactless cashback. It smells really bad to me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure