Smart meters - what is the catch?

Comments

• MarjT
    MarjT Posts: 4 Newbie
    Thank you for the replies, I will wait until I they are compulsory.
    My mind is made up.
    MarjT.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    FOREVER21 wrote: »
    I don't think from the tone of their post MarjT, is keen on getting a smart meter.

MarjT, I am in the similar position to you, keep getting asked if I want a smart meter. I don't, I too know how much electricity/gas is used by various appliances and submit regular meter readings and never get estimated bills.

Do as I do just keep refusing, it is not compulsory to have smart meters.

Smart meters will become the only option when your present meter reaches its end of life. That said, whilst you cannot refuse to have a new meter fitted in these circumstances, the present policy appears to be that consumers can elect to have the communications features disabled. Clearly, these meters will be more difficult to read as many posters have already found out.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Having just switched away from EON (Who kept chasing me re smart meters !) I'm assuming that the smaller suppliers such as IRESA and Better Energy have no obligations re the installation of smart meters ??
  • I have smart meters, just got scottish power ones installed yesterday, and had them with OVO previously.

They do not work with my tariff (Power Up), but I knew that when I asked for them to be installed. However, they had helped me cut around 2kWh a day off my usage, around £2 a week.

The info from the IHD is really useful, and helps me keep track of my daily usage,

I have had a water meter fitted since 2011 and have immediately reaped the benefits from this and found I have with the energy ones.

I ignore the scare stories, they may be true, they may be not, but life has risks.
  • System
    brewerdave wrote: »
    Having just switched away from EON (Who kept chasing me re smart meters !) I'm assuming that the smaller suppliers such as IRESA and Better Energy have no obligations re the installation of smart meters ??

There will be an obligation placed on all suppliers to install smart meters when SMETS2 compliant meters are available. The aim of the stuttering start to this project was to allow the big suppliers time to update their systems etc, and to agree a final technical standard. Smaller suppliers are sitting back watching, and waiting to see which of the many variations of smart meters have the least problems.
  • System
    I have smart meters, just got scottish power ones installed yesterday, and had them with OVO previously.

They do not work with my tariff (Power Up), but I knew that when I asked for them to be installed. However, they had helped me cut around 2kWh a day off my usage, around £2 a week.

The info from the IHD is really useful, and helps me keep track of my daily usage,

I have had a water meter fitted since 2011 and have immediately reaped the benefits from this and found I have with the energy ones.

I ignore the scare stories, they may be true, they may be not, but life has risks.

The Government now estimates that homeowners will save an average of £11 per year when a smart meter is fitted. So, in your case, energy consumers have spent over £800 to save you £100 a year. I am not sure that this argument makes any economic sense when you could have got the same information as you are getting now from a £50 energy meter. Bear in mind that one of the reasons for the extraordinary increase in electricity prices this year is due to the £12Bn cost of this extremely poorly managed Government-led project.
  • I will be honest. It was not until I started up a spreadsheet, that I realised where savings could be made. The IHD that was given to me by OVO, was really useless. It was difficult to compare monthly usage.

Yes, spending £800 for me to save £100 is not economically sound, unless there is an ulterior motive in the years to come, either by selling off our usage data, or by having peak and off-peak rates. Anything which is Government led, is normally poorly managed, so this is of no big surprise.

I have noticed, in the main, that prepay with smart meters, is cheaper than prepay without. I will also add that in addition to the £2 a week saving, having a prepay smart meter enabled me to come off prepay meters and onto credit meters. So in addition to the £2 a week I have saved, my unit rates are now also far less, so am also saving around the same again, by being on credit meters. I could have got cheaper rates, but being entitled to WHD, I had to move to a supplier who provided this, which then takes me down to the cheapest possible electricity unit rates.

So for me, I have really benefited. My electricity has never been as cheap and this is down to smart meters.
  • JDC2017
    JDC2017 Posts: 3 Newbie
    A few weeks ago a meter reader called at the door for access to read the meter. Whilst reading the meter he told me that the area was being fitted with smart meters and he had to arrange appointments for smart meters to be fitted with those people found at home. The meter reader then said that he would need to check all the appliances in the house and he duly inspected the meters, gas cooker, warm air system and flues etc. He then phoned his head office and an appointment was duly made for a few weeks hence.

The meter fitters arrived on the agreed date (two fitters in two Eon vans). One fitter said he would have to replace a gas pipe as well as the gas meter and the other fitter said that would replace the electric meter and asked to be shown all the electrical and gas appliances in the house even going into the loft.

As it happens, there had been a small gas leak on our previous suppliers (npower) side of the gas supply a few years ago which meant that npower replaced all their gas pipework up to our gas meter. Additionally, the gas meter was replaced with a new gas meter approx four years ago so the gas meter and its pipework had previously all been thoroughly tested, checked and passed by experienced engineers.

The fitters were finished in a couple of hours and the one who had fitted the new electric meter began explaining how things worked and the handed me a card headed 'Safety Notice' which went on to state that: 'It appears that the gas installation pipework fitted at your property may not have Electrical Equipotential bonding correctly fitted . I am required under section 18(2) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use Regulations) 1998 to advise you that the Electrical Installation should be checked by a competent electrical contractor.' The electric meter fitter then pointed to an electrical earth connection and stated that it was up to me to find and employ an electricial contractor to certify the electrical work as safe.

I immediately realised that this certification would cost me a minimum of £150 - £200. I told the Eon employees that the installation had been previously classed as safe and at no time during their two surveys had I been informed that the installation would require to be certified as safe or indeed would involve me in any expense. I also told them that, since their work had caused the installation to be not safe, I regarded their job as not being complete and asked for the telephone number of their supervisor. The senior fitter repeatedly refused to give the telephone number of his supervisor saying he was not allowed to give the number out to people and would only refer me to EON Customer Serices.

Despite being politely requested to wait whilst Eon Customer Services were contacted, the fitters immediately collected their tools and left with no further explanation as to the work they had done, how the meters worked or why the meter display screens were blank etc. Indeed, such was their haste to leave that they even had to be called back to replace the entrance cover to the loft.

The Eon Customer Services number simply rings out and out with no reply and a link for eon-uk.com/smartmeterinstallfeedback is either broken or dead.

All in all, having experienced an Eon Smart Meter installation, I would be quite cautious of accepting Eons smart meter offer at face value. In the event of accepting their offer I would also suggest being very clear indeed as to what work is to be done, who is responsible for certification and what your costs and expenses are going to be.

Hope this helps.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 9 June 2017 at 1:35PM
    JDC2017 wrote: »
    A few weeks ago a meter reader called at the door for access to read the meter. Whilst reading the meter he told me that the area was being fitted with smart meters and he had to arrange appointments for smart meters to be fitted with those people found at home. The meter reader then said that he would need to check all the appliances in the house and he duly inspected the meters, gas cooker, warm air system and flues etc. He then phoned his head office and an appointment was duly made for a few weeks hence.

The meter fitters arrived on the agreed date (two fitters in two Eon vans). One fitter said he would have to replace a gas pipe as well as the gas meter and the other fitter said that would replace the electric meter and asked to be shown all the electrical and gas appliances in the house even going into the loft.

As it happens, there had been a small gas leak on our previous suppliers (npower) side of the gas supply a few years ago which meant that npower replaced all their gas pipework up to our gas meter. Additionally, the gas meter was replaced with a new gas meter approx four years ago so the gas meter and its pipework had previously all been thoroughly tested, checked and passed by experienced engineers.

The fitters were finished in a couple of hours and the one who had fitted the new electric meter began explaining how things worked and the handed me a card headed 'Safety Notice' which went on to state that: 'It appears that the gas installation pipework fitted at your property may not have Electrical Equipotential bonding correctly fitted . I am required under section 18(2) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use Regulations) 1998 to advise you that the Electrical Installation should be checked by a competent electrical contractor.' The electric meter fitter then pointed to an electrical earth connection and stated that it was up to me to find and employ an electricial contractor to certify the electrical work as safe.

I immediately realised that this certification would cost me a minimum of £150 - £200. I told the Eon employees that the installation had been previously classed as safe and at no time during their two surveys had I been informed that the installation would require to be certified as safe or indeed would involve me in any expense. I also told them that, since their work had caused the installation to be not safe, I regarded their job as not being complete and asked for the telephone number of their supervisor. The senior fitter repeatedly refused to give the telephone number of his supervisor saying he was not allowed to give the number out to people and would only refer me to EON Customer Serices.

Despite being politely requested to wait whilst Eon Customer Services were contacted, the fitters immediately collected their tools and left with no further explanation as to the work they had done, how the meters worked or why the meter display screens were blank etc. Indeed, such was their haste to leave that they even had to be called back to replace the entrance cover to the loft.

The Eon Customer Services number simply rings out and out with no reply and a link for eon-uk.com/smartmeterinstallfeedback is either broken or dead.

All in all, having experienced an Eon Smart Meter installation, I would be quite cautious of accepting Eons smart meter offer at face value. In the event of accepting their offer I would also suggest being very clear indeed as to what work is to be done, who is responsible for certification and what your costs and expenses are going to be.

Hope this helps.

I know one thing for sure, any meter reader turning up at my door spouting nonsense about smart meters being installed in the area and that I have to have them will be told where to go. I certainly won't be allowing him to be snooping around checking all my appliances either.

Sounds dodgy to me.

My gas meter doesn't have Electrical Equipotential bonding either. Didn't stop the gas supplier installing the meter nor did it stop my boiler installers.
  • What pipework did they replace? Have they removed some existing bonding along with the old pipe?

If they've disconnected the existing bonding from the old pipe they ought to reconnect it to the new pipe. If there none in the first place, they're just pointing out that you'll have to fit it if you want your system brought up to current standards, and that an electrician will be able to advise.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure