PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Do I need to chuck the chook?

2»

Comments

• sooty&sweep
    sooty&sweep Posts: 1,316 Forumite
    Reheat well & enjoy xxx
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,652
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I'd eat it cold, no re-heating. As long as it's not been sat out in the warm, it'll be fine. I make leftovers pies a couple of times a month, and the remains will go back into the fridge & be eaten cold by most of the household, and we're almost never ill.

However, if you'd rather have it hot - yes, make sure it's piping hot. It's lukewarm that's the problem...
    Angie - GC March 24 24 £486.13/£500: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • hanb
    hanb Posts: 464 Forumite
    We're braving it.. if you don't hear from me again, you know it was the wrong choice! :)
  • ariarnia
    ariarnia Posts: 4,225
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Question to those people that would eat it cold but not hot:

What's the difference between eating it cold and reheating it?

I mean, do the extra bacteria breed during the heating process (at which point could you take it directly from the fridge to a hot oven)

or is it while you're actually lifting the food to your mouth (at which point eat faster ;))

but more seriously, doesn't the cold pie warm to room temp while you're serving up and isn't that the same?
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?

Please consider buying some pet food and giving it to your local food bank collection or animal charity. Animals aren't to blame for the cost of living crisis.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,256
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    ariarnia wrote: »
    Question to those people that would eat it cold but not hot:

What's the difference between eating it cold and reheating it?

I mean, do the extra bacteria breed during the heating process (at which point could you take it directly from the fridge to a hot oven)

or is it while you're actually lifting the food to your mouth (at which point eat faster ;))

but more seriously, doesn't the cold pie warm to room temp while you're serving up and isn't that the same?

I think it makes a difference how you have your meal - anything I would eat cold I would also eat for a quick lunch having zapped it in the microwave to warm and not necessarily fully hot. For a leisurely meal with others I would expect it to sit around warm for longer and so heat it properly all through.

I wouldn't confine myself to only two cookings of chicken:
    Cook chicken = 1
    Boil carcase for stock = 2
    Make soup from stock = 3
    So 3 cookings before you think about reheating the soup, unless you go straight from stock to soup, but I might not want that.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • hanb
    hanb Posts: 464 Forumite
    Just in case anyone is wondering, we are alive! Reheated the pie to 'VERY hot' in the microwave and neither of us had any kind of adverse reaction.. and the pie was delicious! I wouldn't risk another reheat but I think a 3rd cook/2nd reheat, as long as it was kept in the fridge and thoroughly reheated will be done again!

Thanks again for your advice/opinions :)
  • Slowly57
    Slowly57 Posts: 353
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    YAY glad it all worked out YAY!! :T
    2022 | Back to the fold - need a Money Saving mojo reboot!

Grocery Challenge JAN 2022 £200/£185.00 left!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure