BA going Buy on Board refreshments for short haul...

Comments

• Contessa
    Contessa Posts: 1,131 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I've flown BA from Manchester - Heathrow and back a few times. Once it was a very early flight from Manchester so I appreciated the breakfast snack served (hot cheese and ham sandwich which was surprisingly good). The other flights were later so only drink and biscuits. I certainly wouldn't bother to buy food on a shorthaul flight.

However, I have enjoyed the food and drinks served by BA on longhaul flights.
  • holidaysforme
    holidaysforme Posts: 1,786 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    magyar wrote: »
    I can't see why not, because they're using Avios to compensate people who paid with cash and not just rewards, so I can't see how it matters how you paid for it.. They'll presumably credit the Avios to your BA.com account and you can either choose them to pay for food on the flight or (as I intend to) use them for something better!

Thanks. Just about to claim them now.
  • I realise this is what BA want to do and they are well within their rights to do it and as customers we have a right to go elsewhere for our travel.

However is it actually legal that they can change the terms of a previously booked flight such as this? If it is legal it actually shows no level of customer service whatsoever and a total neglect for what people may think :mad:
  • magyar
    magyar Posts: 18,909 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    DanB77 wrote: »
    I realise this is what BA want to do and they are well within their rights to do it and as customers we have a right to go elsewhere for our travel.

However is it actually legal that they can change the terms of a previously booked flight such as this? If it is legal it actually shows no level of customer service whatsoever and a total neglect for what people may think :mad:

As per posts above, they are offering compensation either in the form of sufficient Avios to buy food or - if you feel this strongly - offering to cancel the flights for free.

I do think they should be *automatically* offering this to existing bookings, rather than waiting for people to ask.
    Says James, in my opinion, there's nothing in this world
    Beats a '52 Vincent and a red headed girl
  • davetrousers
    davetrousers Posts: 5,862 Forumite
    I complained to BA (using their online complaints page) and this morning I received a £20 evoucher! It seems that I can only use this to pay for future BA flights.

I replied asking if this could be used towards on board snacks and that I was expecting to receive some Avios as these can be used.

• CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    It was mentioned last year that this was likely to happen when an ex-budget airline CEO joined the company. It was also mentioned a few years back that there would possibly be more seats crammed into the same planes, which despite being slimline remove any extra legroom from an (already carp) CE product.

It's very disappointing, but sadly I can't say I'm surprised.
    💙💛 💔
  • magyar

Actually having now discussed it with them, it's far from fair. It turns out that they are simply offering 1,000 Avios to anyone who has one or more flights booked next year. So you could have six flights booked, and you get 1,000 Avios.

Given that 1,000 Avios (worth c.£10 of food/drink) is roughly the value of the catering on one leg, this is woeful.

I told them they were in clear breach of contract and they gave some bs about their 'Conditions of Carriage' stating that all you pay for is to get from A to B, catering was only ever complimentary at their discretion and this was simply a gesture of goodwill.

Plus of course they give you the 'nuclear' option of cancelling.

I am fairly sure that the Consumer Rights Act 2015 would trump this, as the goods are not as described and the marketing material implictly forms part of the contract.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I am fairly sure that the Consumer Rights Act 2015 would trump this, as the goods are not as described and the marketing material implictly forms part of the contract.

Is it really worth making a fuss over the loss of a coffee and small bag of mixed nuts?
  • magyar
    Doshwaster wrote: »
    Is it really worth making a fuss over the loss of a coffee and small bag of mixed nuts?

Well, firstly, this is not just 'a coffee and a small bag of mixed nuts'. We have bookings on a flight to Paphos next summer, which is usually catered with a reasonably-good wrap, small pudding/snacks, coffee, water & drink from the bar. The equivalent of this is now going to cost about £13 from the M&S/bar menu. In both directions for three of us, that's about £78.

Secondly, it's not just affecting me, it's affecting tens of thousands of people who will have bookings next year. So BA stand to make probably hundreds of thousands selling them food they've already paid for.

Isn't that 'worth making a fuss over'?
  • dickydonkin
    dickydonkin Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Well, firstly, this is not just 'a coffee and a small bag of mixed nuts'. We have bookings on a flight to Paphos next summer, which is usually catered with a reasonably-good wrap, small pudding/snacks, coffee, water & drink from the bar. The equivalent of this is now going to cost about £13 from the M&S/bar menu. In both directions for three of us, that's about £78.

Secondly, it's not just affecting me, it's affecting tens of thousands of people who will have bookings next year. So BA stand to make probably hundreds of thousands selling them food they've already paid for.

Isn't that 'worth making a fuss over'?

I agree.

It isn't just the BoB issue alone that is annoying many people, it is the erosion of many other benefits that by themselves may seem relatively insignificant, but when they are amalgamated, it is akin to a death by a thousand cuts.

Make no mistake, there will be more 'enhancements' and 'upgrades' to come with (imo) lounge access and the amount of tier points to gain status being 'reviewed'.

In the past, flying with BA was an enjoyable part of the trip, now, for many, it is just a means to an end.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure