Boast / weep about your recent investment decisions HERE

Options

Comments

• Reckless_Saving
    Options
    Weep (sort of) - another tax year passed and again I'm being a bad tax avoider, sorry ML that should be bad tax planner. Didn't sell anything so didn't use any of last tax years capital gains allowance, was wanting to get rid of a share I have a very small holding that's been unloved by me but price went down too much in the last month to make worth while.

Boast (sort of) - New tax year and I put max in S&S ISA then spent it all on share on the same day at lowest trading price that day before it went ex-dividend the next day.
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Topping up BRWM, turning a 60% loss into a 20% loss. How's that for a boast and a weep all rolled into one.

Purchase of UKML planned this week, for better or worse.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • jaydeeuk1
    jaydeeuk1 Posts: 7,714 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I put £500 in to a s&s a week ago, today I'm worth £511.46, mainly weighted to vanguard ftse although US opps has returned more.

Who wants to touch me? I SAID WHO WANTS TO TOUCH ME?
  • darkidoe
    darkidoe Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ok, but i do try to take as few big decisions as possible in investing - i.e. both avoiding placing big bets, and only changing strategy very slowly, so this will be boring ...

last week, in my SIPP, topped up VEUR (vanguard developed europe ETF) again, using income generated within the SIPP since i last did this in january. this is just a mechanical decision, topping up the holding that is relatively down, so in danger of falling under its target allocation. VEUR was actually up c. 5% since i last topped it up, but i guess other things had gone up more, so it was relatively underperforming again.

next week, in my shares ISA, cash from dividends within the ISA will be used to top up SGRO (segro). this is where most of the dividends in the ISA have been going for the last 2 years (except when i topped up SSE instead). i wanted another property holding, but thought i'd steer clear of buying another company with a lot of central london property. the holding is now about up to size, so next month i may start buying something new inside the ISA.

this is all using cheap £1.50 regular dealing, because i'm a cheapskate.
    Boring is good for an investor.

Can I ask which platform do u use? Do u use the regular dealing to over a period of time and cancel it or are you able to set it up for a single deal and cancel it before the second month?

Save 12K in 2020 # 38 £0/£20,000
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    darkidoe wrote: »
    Can I ask which platform do u use? Do u use the regular dealing to over a period of time and cancel it or are you able to set it up for a single deal and cancel it before the second month?
    Grey gym sock and I both use Youinvest. On their 'regular investments' screen you can decide what investments you want to buy monthly on their 'bulk buy' discounted fee on the 10th of every month. You can change this as often as you like, they just look at it before the start of business on the 10th and book your trades if you have the available funds.

If you don't have the available funds it will fail and try again the next month. But you can edit and play around with this as often as you like during the month because they are only going to look at what deal(s) you have saved on that screen, when that time of the month comes around. So if you fancy buying £1000 of Lloyds shares you can just say you want £1000 per month of Lloyds shares, and then as soon as it's bought you those shares for a £1.50 dealing fee, you can delete it and say you want £250 per month of VEUR, but then the next day change your mind and say you want £200 a month of VEUR and £150/m of SSE and £100/m of VNQ. Whatever you have when the next monthly dealing date rolls around, gets bought, if there's enough money on the account.

So if you are contributing £160 a month you can say you want £500 a month of ABCXYZ and every 3 months or so once your contributions plus dividend receipts combine to give you £500 in the account, it will buy it, leaving you with dealing costs of £6 a year because there were only 4 successful purchases over the entire year. But yes, long story short you can set it up, do one deal, and cancel it so it doesn't try again the next month.
  • randomer1
    Options
    I've just cashed in my small stocks and shares ISA as I'm scraping together a house deposit. It seems as good a time as any prior to Brexit.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sole decision last week: not to trade.

Likely decision this week: sell index-linked gilts, and go for high-interest current accounts and monthly savers while awaiting events.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    long story short you can set it up, do one deal, and cancel it so it doesn't try again the next month.

I've got over 50k matured from a 3 year bond which I want to put into two ITs. Does it seem churlish to use the monthly just to avoid the £9.95, given you pay stamp duty anyway and daily movements could be multiple hundreds either way making the saving look insignificant?

For a weep I nominate Majedie, soon a year on, and 6% down (at one point over 10%) while my other incomes have gone up. I bought it as a contrarian to other fund contents and looks like I got my wish... so far ;)
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    talexuser wrote: »
    I've got over 50k matured from a 3 year bond which I want to put into two ITs. Does it seem churlish to use the monthly just to avoid the £9.95, given you pay stamp duty anyway and daily movements could be multiple hundreds either way making the saving look insignificant?
    Just in case it's a serious question rather than rhetorical:

The biggest driver of your returns over most timescales is asset allocation. Fees should always be secondary. If you were to defer investing a £25k in an investment trust by a whole month to save about £8 of fees (a third of of a tenth of a percent) I would say you had your priorities wrong! Assuming you expect the investment to deliver half a percent or more return over the year, evenly paced, the opportunity missed far outweighs the fee saved.

However I'm sure it's quite possible to get lucky when making your investments by deferring the purchase, missing a loss, and saving money on fees, and feel vindicated for using the cheeky "monthly purchase" scheme to do it. That's not usually what you should *expect* to happen based on probability though, and the reason you're buying the investment trust in the first place is because you expect it to deliver more than cash, so staying in cash so save £8.49 in fees per IT purchase would be rather shortsighted.
    :beer:
  • Dird
    Dird Posts: 2,702 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    £1200 invested in 13 funds on Christmas (apparently I only had £1300 allowance left for the year as I parked some house deposit there).

Was down most the time until I checked this month, £1217. Only 4 of them are up in value.

Have decided to put off investing more until this Christmas/early 2017. Except for Lloyds if it becomes available

I could have given my nephew £50 in a bank account growing slowly over the next 20 years, instead he has a fund worth £49.23 :D
    Mortgage (Nov 15): £79,950 | Cashback sites: £900 | Current accounts: 11
    Mortgage (May 19): £71,754 | £30k in 2016: £30,300 (101%)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure