PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Time Line For Sale of Property

I cannot seem to find an approximate timeline for the process of selling a property once an offer is accepted. I know there is considerable variation based on circumstances so can someone please guide me?

I have just accepted an offer on my property and both the buyer and I have instructed solicitors. There is no chain, I have no mortgage and the buyer is a cash buyer. I have all documentation that is requested by the solicitors and property is sold without any conditions. How long before exchange of contracts? How long before completion?

Comments

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    I'd amend that to between a week and never.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    AnotherJoe wrote: »

Agreed. Around 30% of sales never complete.
  • AnotherJoe wrote: »

Indeed.

We are on our 2nd "potential" purchase in as many months.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,468
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Average is 12 weeks. As above, take it with a very large pinch of salt. One in three falls through too, just to add to the mix.

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Hi,
    Never is fine by me if buyer withdraws before contract is signed. However, how can it be as quick as 1 week?

The buyer wants the place ASAP. What can I do to get to contract faster? What is an average time to get to contract when there are no chains/mortgages involved ?
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Hi,
    The buyer wants the place ASAP. What can I do to get to contract faster?
    One thing people can do is make sure all their paperwork is in order. Things like the absence of a council sign-offs for an extension can create a major delay, or even just a lack of a FENSA certificate for some replaced windows may create an unnecessary blip.

Our vendor wanted a fast sale, but forgot she'd altered the vehicular access, so what was on the ground didn't match with the title plan. A deed of variation had to be drawn up with a neighbour. Luckily, the neighbour used the same firm of solicitors.

Oh, and the written deeds were self-contradictory, although my solicitor was, apparently, the first to notice since they were drawn-up in 1974. That was sorted out too and we completed on time, in 12 weeks exactly.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi,
    Never is fine by me if buyer withdraws before contract is signed. However, how can it be as quick as 1 week?

The buyer wants the place ASAP. What can I do to get to contract faster? What is an average time to get to contract when there are no chains/mortgages involved ?
    Cash buyer / developer.

Not bothering with survey. Not concerned about searches.

Day 1 - Sellers solicitor draws up contract on , emails to buyer's solicitor.
    Day 2 - Buyer visits solicitor and approves contract
    Days 1-3 - Buyer's solicitor checks Title (no existing mortgage)
    Day 4 - Conracts Exchanged and same day Completion.

There you go!
  • Not bothering with survey. Not concerned about searches.

Local searches can take anything from 2 days to 6 weeks depending on where the property is.

Seller's solicitor should supply a Property Information Form which the seller should have completed. Such forms are often full of inconsistenceis and half completed information.

No point asking about any of this because there a magic fairy that will find the sellers and wreak vengeance on them if there is anything nasty they haven't really told you about (but which could be found by a bit of questioning) - NOT!!!!!

And why bother with a survey? Every buyer knows how to spot a non traditional PRC house like a Reema Hollow Panel or Cornish Unit! AGAIN NOT!!!!!!
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure