Dropping out of university..

Okay, just going to come out and rant about this and explain my circumstances.

I started university in September of this year and have hated it; I nearly pulled my application before I went but things had got better during the summer and my results were enough to get me in, so I gave it a go.

I've had depression for a while now and have been on medication since February of this year.

However, since I've been there, I've hated it; I've made very few friends, I've not liked the atmosphere and I've generally felt miserable. Hit a few lows here and there as well.

Tried counselling as well while I've been there, but been passed through three different people, and when my depression came up the last one said I should "grow up and get over things easier" which obviously made me feel fantastic! *sarcasm*. My grades haven't been too bad but it's like hell doing it, and I have no motivation and no desire to be there.

Anyway, I've been working weekend nightshift at Sainsbury's and I've really enjoyed it. There's chance for progression there and I'd rather work my way up; I look forward to work more than being at university, my mind is made up really. However, it's finances I'm wondering about and if people can help me out with this, it would be appreciated.

My tuition loan, whatever I've accrued so far, will be paid off through my wage slips, am I correct? (If earning over the threshold to pay it off)

My student loan though.. I've had 1 payment so far (I qualified for the full amount, £5,435 I think it was, I can't remember) and I've had a third of it or so. However, my first accommodation payment was £2250 and there's another coming out in January. If I quit, I presume I don't get any more of my loans, and so how would I go about it? Is it a financial loss I'd have to hit or is there a way around?

I really don't want to have to see out the year because of finances, but I was wondering what the situation would be like, and what the repercussions are.

Sorry for the long post :embarasse
"We are the change that we seek."

Comments

• Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    You will need to pay back any grants you've had straight away.

There are also likely very strict rules on accomondation, and its likely you will have to pay the whole year's rent, unless you can find someone who wants your room.
  • devildog
    devildog Posts: 1,222 Forumite
    If you leave you must write to Student Finance and inform them and keep on at your Uni for them to notify Student Finance of your withdrawal. I don't quite know the position on tuition fees(my youngest withdrew before they were paid and withdraw was in first couple of weeks when none had to be paid) Student Loans Co will ask for repayment of any maintenance loans paid, if you can't repay in one go you may have to try and negotiate a repayment plan. If you have received any grants this will usually be recalculated on time actually spent at Uni (so some of it you will be entitled' to and don't have to repay, some of it will have to be repaid) Re the accomodation, usually you are tied into a contract and if you leave the full rent will become payable but if you/accomodation office find someone to take over the room then you should only be liable until the new student occupies(we were fortunate that room was taken over 2 days later!)
  • I know that some Uni allow you to give up your accommodation and you only have to give 6 weeks notice so its best to have a look at your Uni's website to see what the t&cs are.

Do you have an opportunity to take up with Sainsburys or is just a possibility? Personally I wouldn't give up unless you had something definite to go to...also have you planned where you live if you did give up Uni?
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • Sainsbury's 'say' there is room for progression... but it isn't easy, or as accessible as they state it is. I work for Sainsbury's and am DESPERATE to finish my degree to get out of there. You say you're working weekend nightshifts... could you be feeling low etc because you're tired? Going from nightshifts, to lectures isn't easy. Is there no way you could do a day time job at Sainsbury's instead?

On another note, if you withdraw from Uni, you will be required to pay the finances back asap. Unless you're on benefits, or in education (college etc).

With regards to accommodation, you usually are liable for the rent for the whole year, you'd have to look at your agreement - although if your uni offers degrees that start in Jan / Feb, you'll have a better chance of finding someone else to rent your room. (if it's in halls).

Also, if you're living in halls, I assume that your University is not near your home... what will you do for accommodation if you're only working weekends? Transferring stores at this time of year is unlikely.
    SAVINGS: £63.86 // £3,000
  • devildog wrote: »
    If you leave you must write to Student Finance and inform them and keep on at your Uni for them to notify Student Finance of your withdrawal. I don't quite know the position on tuition fees(my youngest withdrew before they were paid and withdraw was in first couple of weeks when none had to be paid) Student Loans Co will ask for repayment of any maintenance loans paid, if you can't repay in one go you may have to try and negotiate a repayment plan. If you have received any grants this will usually be recalculated on time actually spent at Uni (so some of it you will be entitled' to and don't have to repay, some of it will have to be repaid) Re the accomodation, usually you are tied into a contract and if you leave the full rent will become payable but if you/accomodation office find someone to take over the room then you should only be liable until the new student occupies(we were fortunate that room was taken over 2 days later!)

Do they have to be paid back ASAP then, and not in installments? I didn't receive any grants.
    I know that some Uni allow you to give up your accommodation and you only have to give 6 weeks notice so its best to have a look at your Uni's website to see what the t&cs are.

Do you have an opportunity to take up with Sainsburys or is just a possibility? Personally I wouldn't give up unless you had something definite to go to...also have you planned where you live if you did give up Uni?

I wouldn't give up for certain, I've spoken to my manager and there's a high chance that I'll be kept on either at this store or one close by.
    Sainsbury's 'say' there is room for progression... but it isn't easy, or as accessible as they state it is. I work for Sainsbury's and am DESPERATE to finish my degree to get out of there. You say you're working weekend nightshifts... could you be feeling low etc because you're tired? Going from nightshifts, to lectures isn't easy. Is there no way you could do a day time job at Sainsbury's instead?

On another note, if you withdraw from Uni, you will be required to pay the finances back asap. Unless you're on benefits, or in education (college etc).

With regards to accommodation, you usually are liable for the rent for the whole year, you'd have to look at your agreement - although if your uni offers degrees that start in Jan / Feb, you'll have a better chance of finding someone else to rent your room. (if it's in halls).

Also, if you're living in halls, I assume that your University is not near your home... what will you do for accommodation if you're only working weekends? Transferring stores at this time of year is unlikely.

I don't mind working there; I worked at Budgens for 18 months before starting university and I loved it. I don't mind where I am within Sainsbury's, I just don't want to be stuck at university.
    As I've said before, do they HAVE to be paid back ASAP?
    I go home at weekends anyway, which is where I have work. It's about 25 miles from home so not too far away.
  • devildog
    devildog Posts: 1,222 Forumite
    In 'our' case youngest received an invoice from Student Loans Company asking for it to be repaid within however many days it was.When I spoke to them they were actually very nice as opposed to those at Student Finance England! I 'think' as long as you speak to them when the invoice appears and offer to make payments on a regular basis they will most likely accept it, but you have to ensure that both you and you uni contact Student Finance England to let them know of your withdraw. I would also advise that for the following year you keep a sharp eye on your bank account to make sure that they haven't continued to pay you (they did this with youngest despite us having written acknowledgement from them that a withdraw had taken place)
  • devildog wrote: »
    In 'our' case youngest received an invoice from Student Loans Company asking for it to be repaid within however many days it was.When I spoke to them they were actually very nice as opposed to those at Student Finance England! I 'think' as long as you speak to them when the invoice appears and offer to make payments on a regular basis they will most likely accept it, but you have to ensure that both you and you uni contact Student Finance England to let them know of your withdraw. I would also advise that for the following year you keep a sharp eye on your bank account to make sure that they haven't continued to pay you (they did this with youngest despite us having written acknowledgement from them that a withdraw had taken place)

Many thanks for the advice!
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    I wonder if you could consider asking the University to hold your place for a while because of your depression? There is a system for "freezing" finance if you take time out because of illness, family responsibilities etc. but I don't know the exact details - your Uni will.
    I have only known this done for 12-18 months, I would advise you to take that space if you can. You will find out if you miss studying.
    If you drop out completely, there may be financial repercussions should you wish to resume studying in the future (again, I am not up to date on details).
    Even if you can only take the rest of this academic year off, I think you will be able to consider it all from a better place.
    If you decide to stay in your Sainsbury's job, you are then no worse off.
    Good luck
  • Heamol
    Heamol Posts: 276 Forumite
    jackyann wrote: »
    I wonder if you could consider asking the University to hold your place for a while because of your depression?

The Uni might be able to help with this and more; if you are on medication for depression (or indeed if you are not on medication but have a diagnosis of depression) you should go and speak to your uni's Disability Services, as this would come under their remit.

Once you are "on the books", so to speak, you should be given whatever extra support they think you are entitled to. This could include a study mentor, extra time in exams, alternative ways to undergo assessments (e.g. submitting a typed report rather than delivering a presentation in class) a notetaker if you have difficulty concentrating in lectures/seminars, and many other things besides. It might be worth speaking to them before you decide to drop out of uni completely, as you may find things much easier once you have the right support.
    :) Optima semper libera sunt :)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport