PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

FTB - When are searches ordered?

Hi
As a first time buyer, please excuse this novice question.

I would like to know when are searches typically ordered? I understand the solicitor will need title and plan of the property.

However does solicitor wait for a review of draft contract pack, property information form, fittings details before ordering searches?

What is best practise regarding this matter -
review other documents first? Or
order searches before review to save time?

Comments

• I am not sure what is the normal standard.

In my case, my solicitor received the contract pack, together with Property Information form, fitting details at the same time. Then, my solicitor reviewed all of them at the same time in 24 hours and forwarded these documents to me and asked if I will authorise to order searches.

Thus, I order searches after above process.
  • Son, like you is a FTB.

His solicitor contacted him requested payment for searches but said that they were happy to wait to receive payment & instruct the searches to be carried out once son was happy that the mortgage was going to ahead (I presume that meant after the valuation had taken place)

They did mention that it takes 14/21 days for the searches to come back so I suppose that was giving son the heads up that the longer he delayed instructing them to do the searches the longer it would take for everything to be finalised.

He's already had the property information form
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    As a FTB it'd be considered normal to order the searches once an actual mortgage offer has been received in writing. That is to save from wasting money.

As a later-life buyer, particularly cash or low borrowing, you can specifically tell the solicitor to proceed with the searches immediately if you wish to proceed ASAP.
  • gax23
    gax23 Posts: 205 Forumite
    We instructed our solicitor in early June and they still haven't done searches. We were made aware of a neighbour dispute over fences, so we ordered the title deeds and title register from the Land Registry website to see the ownership for ourselves and discovered there were restrictive covenants on the property. I emailed the solicitor to ask what these were, and got a phone call in which he told me off for asking him, accused me of chasing him and said 'You can always do the conveyancing yourself if you like'. Unfortunately for him, this was pre my morning coffee, so he got an earful in return.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure