Insect repellant that actually works?

Comments

• fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    You just beat me. Avon skin so soft is very good.
    I've just ordered a bottle of this on the back of recommendations from several keen gardeners - they swear it keeps all kinds of creepy crawlies at bay.
    Even if it doesn't work, at least I'll have lovely soft legs :rotfl:
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If you are lucky,as you get older they will lose their taste for you.

As a child I was always covered in bites and I recall an nasty horse fly bite, as an adult, back in 1982, but have had no bites since.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,828 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    I've just ordered a bottle of this on the back of recommendations from several keen gardeners - they swear it keeps all kinds of creepy crawlies at bay.
    Even if it doesn't work, at least I'll have lovely soft legs :rotfl:

It helps me with the dreaded midgie.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,899 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 June 2017 at 5:18PM
    Insect repellents with DEET do work

Not for me they don't!

I have come to the conclusion that for some people nothing works! I have tried all the mozzy lotions and potions known to man, woman, Boots and the internet and nothing works for me. As well as using all the pluggy-in things when indoors I have also tried eating Marmite, garlic, vitamin B1 tablets and using Avon Skin-So-Soft. Even managed to get hold of some stuff that the US army used in Vietnam...all it did was eat my sunglasses frames and watchband. :(

Now I always make sure I take some antibiotic tablets with me as I usually get at least one infected bite.
  • indsty
    indsty Posts: 372 Forumite
    Avon Skin so Soft - popular with the army guys, and anyone on the Scottish moors - the midgies hate it. I used it in the Far East and it worked a treat - seemed to last effectively for several hours.
  • Kunoichi73
    Kunoichi73 Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    For mosquito protection, you could try spraying this stuff on your clothing:

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/lifesystems-ex4-anti-mosquito-spray-e7224033?id_colour=180

I used it last year in Nepal and it worked really well (in combination with the DEET).
  • juliettet
    juliettet Posts: 726 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I used the M&S one in the green bottle in May in Canada. Not one bite this time despite record levels of mosquitos after all the spring rain.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    I used to buy stuff locally as it would be geared to the local conditions and beasties.
  • catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    teddysmum wrote: »
    If you are lucky,as you get older they will lose their taste for you.

As a child I was always covered in bites and I recall an nasty horse fly bite, as an adult, back in 1982, but have had no bites since.

I am in my 60's now and in fact the bites have got more frequent as I get older.

A couple of summers ago in the South of France I got bitten all over my legs, arms and face. A bite on my face and one on my leg got infected and my face and leg swelled up terribly. I had to find a Dr there
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • If you can get your hands on some Tabard or Peaceful Sleep, they work great. I got them in South Africa. I think you can get them on Amazon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure