Money Moral Dilemma: Should I buy an engagement gift for my fiance?

Options

Comments

• ERICS_MUM
    ERICS_MUM Posts: 3,579 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 April 2017 at 11:15PM
    Options
    Red flag ! Before you get married or enter into joint finances please please discuss your respective attitudes to money & spending. Don't assume you will gradually sort it out once you are married, with a mortgage, when you are on maternity leave etc etc. People are often quite rigid when it comes to their approach to finances and won't change.

As I say to all 5 of my nieces and nephews (in their 20's), love is not enough to build a happy future together.
  • Devonian_Rodders
    Options
    Although this may be a modern thing, Beggars cannot be choosers, or put another way "you don't give to receive ! Buy what you can afford, WHEN you can.
  • Annaserena
    Options
    Big alarm bells ringing here. Take a good look at a man who 'expects' something in return for giving an engagement ring. There should be no automatic expectation and it sounds like he's making it all about him, taking the attention away from you. At this stage in your relationship that's a warning sign and a good time to decide if you should commit to him. If he isn't kind before you marry, trust me he won't get kinder after the wedding day.
  • sew12
    sew12 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    I think it's bad that he asks you. When we got engaged I wanted to give him the moon so surprised him with a gift. If your in love you will want to get him something but the fact that he asked is not good
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Must be a modern thing - I've been married twice (1997 & 2013) and both times I bought rings because all I wanted in return was to marry the woman in question.
  • BlaggerMouth
    Options
    I don't know how you're going to organise your finances, but if he earns more than you and is going to keep sole control of a portion of his earnings, then it's reasonable that he buys you more expensive gifts than you get for him.

I also agree with posters who say it would have made sense for him to raise this beforehand. On the other hand, men can feel a lot of pressure to produce the perfect proposal, and since a sparkly ring is expected as part of that it can feel more like an obligation than a gift. You shouldn't normally expect to receive something in return for a gift, but at the same time it seems unfair to always expect men to spend a massive wodge on some bling and get nothing in return. Discussing it beforehand would have allowed the opportunity for you to let each other know what's really important. But perhaps he got the impression from you or from Hollywood that the perfect proposal had to be a surprise, which makes that impossible.

Engagement rings and expensive watches are equivalent. They're both expensive jewelry with little practical use and surprisingly poor resale value. The difference is cultural: men are expected by society to buy their fianc! a ring. But if you subscribe to gender equality, you should view both the same. So if you're​ concerned about money why not suggest trying for a refund on the ring? It may sound unromantic, but looking at it another way isn't it rather distasteful to expect a diamond as a precondition for marriage to the man you love? Just don't sell it second hand because you probably won't get close to what he paid for it. And if your friends expect to see a ring and you can't be bothered to educate them, get a silicon carbide replacement.

For those who think this is terribly "modern", expensive diamond engagement rings are a relatively modern phenomenon. The idea began to be pushed by De Beers in the 1930s, and it didn't really take off until after the second world war.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If the engagement was a surprise; then any man who "expects" a return gift of equivalent value is probably best avoided. If the engagement was discussed beforehand, then perhaps "Let's not buy an expensive ring/presents when we're saving for a house" would have helped.

I didn't buy m'wife a diamond; I bought a garnet ring (her birthstone) and I didn't expect or ask anything in return. I got a nice watch for my 10th anniversary though...
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • meknowalot-51
    Options
    The straight forward answer to your question is NO.He gives you the ring as a symbol of his love and intention of wanting to be with you as husband and wife.Your response to the question he asks when offering you the ring is YOUR gift to him,unless of course you say no thanks.He wants you to spend a similar amount on him so he can show people his engagement watch........i think it's time for you to perhaps reconsider and wait for him to leave school/uni.Do you think he's going to be good with the finances?
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    When I got engaged to my first husband, I bought him a signet ring.

It was my choice to spend the money.

If he'd told me he would like me to buy one to the same value as the diamond ring he'd bought me, I'd have seriously reconsidered my choice of partner.

And that's without taking your financial circumstances into account.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Depends on whether he genuinely just thinks it would be a nice token to mark the engagement and wants something to wear too... or whether he thinks that he's spending X number of hundred/thousand and begrudges that he has to pay for it without getting something of equal value in return.

First bloke I lived with was tight as you can imagine. I'm quite a generous person and like to give back, but he always wanted things 50/50. We would literally be in two queues even in McDonalds. My parents bought us loads for our flat, all of which got put into the pot when we split up and we each chose things of similar value. He then got really moody when he saw the two old chest of drawers his sister had given us on the list. He couldn't understand how they weren't just his as his sis had given them to us. Totally oblivious to the fact my parents had given us the table & chairs, video, bookcases, microwave, second hand sofas from my cousin, god knows what else.

Tread carefully... As above, maternity leave might be very telling - and definitely not the time you want to find out!

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family