Tesco Current Bank Account

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,380 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I can't help thinking that such will be the pent up demand when Tesco open up afresh for (current account) business that they'll be "pausing" again so that they can cope.....:)
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    newuser78 wrote: »
    I did read the T&Cs but it was the wording that confused me. ..........

which part of this confused you?

"What will you pay me when I have money in my account?
    If you have money in your account, we’ll pay the following interest on the first £3,000 of your balance, but you won’t get interest on any part of your balance over £3,000"
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,611 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    xylophone wrote: »
    I can't help thinking that such will be the pent up demand when Tesco open up afresh for (current account) business that they'll be "pausing" again so that they can cope.....:)

Or the offer when they reopen is substantially different to before. It would make sense to me that they include DD & payment requirement as per most other banks.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    xylophone wrote: »
    The promised 'next few weeks' is already over a month.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,550 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    jimjames wrote: »
    Or the offer when they reopen is substantially different to before. It would make sense to me that they include DD & payment requirement as per most other banks.

When the offer first started, or at least when I joined there was indeed a minimum sum per month required........
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Tesco bank must already have had an influx of millions on which they pay 3% but loan out at anything from 3.4% to 17.6% (based on the loan section of their website).

This looks like good business to me even without DDs or a minimum monthly pay in.
  • "If another account pays the same 3%, you'll get whopping extra 0.045% on £3K, i.e. ~£1.35 over a year." - Are you advocating a "Non Skiming" policy on a money saving forum? The benefit of dividend reinvestment in stocks and shares is well documented. There is an analogy between dividends and interest, in that both benefit from a compounding effect which gets better as time goes on. My OH and I skim over 20 accounts, usually on the second or third day of the month and it is also a check that "all is well" with these accounts. Of course you could set up a standing order to "skim" the interest.
    Over the years it all adds up!
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,611 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    RG2015 wrote: »
    Tesco bank must already have had an influx of millions on which they pay 3% but loan out at anything from 3.4% to 17.6% (based on the loan section of their website).

This looks like good business to me even without DDs or a minimum monthly pay in.

I think you're being a bit blinkered. Have you looked beyond that page? I get 26 months interest free credit card, 1.3% mortgage.

That doesn't look like such good business to me and a mortgage is generally a lot bigger than a loan.
    Katiehound wrote: »
    When the offer first started, or at least when I joined there was indeed a minimum sum per month required........
    Only to avoid a fee. It wasn't a condition of getting interest as I recall.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    RG2015 wrote: »

And lots of extra customers to market their other products to. Credit cards, loans, mortgages, insurance, travel money.
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    "And lots of extra customers to market their other products to. Credit cards, loans, mortgages, insurance, travel money."

Not to mention loyalty to the little supermarket they also run to rack up clubcard points.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure