British Gas & Power Flush

Comments

• mattymoo
    mattymoo Posts: 2,417 Forumite
    Like many on here I have a BG contract and 3 years ago suffered a spate of problems with the system. 3 engineers suggested a power flush, one was obviously a chancer and suggested it after around 60 secs of investigation.

However, one of the engineers had been a regular visitor (I've had the contract 10 yrs) and I trusted him after he explained it all. Price was £500 iirc and well worth the money. The engineer spent a total of 3 days flushing and balancing the system and ironed out every last fault with it. The price was fixed so no worries.

I know this is a money saving board but I simply do not have the time or expertise to do this and I regard the £500 as well spent. System gained a new lease of life as a result.

Take the time to talk to the engineers - on the whole they seem a pretty decent bunch.
  • ariba10 wrote: »
    I would not let British Gas anywhere near my system.
    They are motovated by bonuses.
    The number of people that have had unnecessary work done and systems condemned in this area is nothing short of a scandal.
    And your factual evidence is??????
    I am a BG engineer.
  • botmission wrote: »
    Was your system heating up ok in the other radiators? A power flush is only for badly sludged up systems where there is little or no circulation.

A powerflush is needed when the system is gassing up too(producing hydrogen), which i suspect was filling your radiator. And powerflushs are commen in new houses.
  • Pssst
    Pssst Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Powerflushes may well be needed in newer properties if the system has been installed by a clueless wonder who has badly designed/installed it and/or used self cleaning fluxes without flushing and water treating. I've seen systems that are only 6 months old being killed stone dead becuase of this.
  • Pssst wrote: »
    Powerflushes may well be needed in newer properties if the system has been installed by a clueless wonder who has badly designed/installed it and/or used self cleaning fluxes without flushing and water treating. I've seen systems that are only 6 months old being killed stone dead becuase of this.

:Twell done!
  • Pssst
    Pssst Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    gasbag1602 wrote: »
    :Twell done!

No problem...just a cautionary tale for those buying new build properties or even having new systems installed.

I recall one Christmas eve,visiting a new build development in the era of the Chaffoteux Celtic combi.

A resident who had only been in her new home a few months,called becuase the heating had stopped working.

Not only was the boiler choked with black gunge but worse,the plastic flue duct had been fitted exiting to the left and was at such a severe angle up from the horizontal that poc leakage was occuring past the sealing O rings on the flue turret leading to subsequent duct melting. Fortunately the boiler cut out before anything really nasty occured.

The builders were still on site.

I went to have a word.

They didnt want to know and were off to the pub.

I cut her off and left her to freeze.
  • botmission wrote: »
    Was your system heating up ok in the other radiators? A power flush is only for badly sludged up systems where there is little or no circulation.

if there is no circulation a powerflush is unlikly to work
    X British Gas engineer and X BG sales adviser.
    Please don,t let this put you off.
  • gasbag1602 wrote: »
    And your factual evidence is??????
    I am a BG engineer.

i also work for bg as an engineer and we are pushed to sell as much as we can ..
    powerflushes / magnacleans / cod / etc etc

i would never try and sell something if i didnt think it was needed
  • c_smith wrote: »
    I wouldn't go to the expense of hiring the powerflushing machine though to do my own. Running the system with the DS-40 in it for a week will do the job just as well, then simply flush it several times with fresh water from the mains supply, and add the inhibitor. The powerflusher merely speeds up the process.

this is ture in most cases
  • fayraz
    fayraz Posts: 625 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I am having problems with sludge in my system, so I have installed a Magnaclean TwinTech and I am just waiting for a week or so make sure there are no leaks anywhere before I put the cleaner in (http://www.sentinel-solutions.net/product/detail/central-heating/concentrates/x400-system-restorer/).

I was thinking of leaving the cleaner in for a week or two and vibrating them now and again to clean them out and after adding the inhibator.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure