Mobility scooter insurance

13»

Comments

• bigbulldog
    bigbulldog Posts: 632
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    Update - Hastings Direct will insure my scooter for free on the condition that is is not used on the public highway - this covers loss and third party indemnity - this is better than the £70 + that a seperate policy would have cost me !!!
    My home policy only cost £130 !!

That's good news.:)

I take it public footpaths are ok,but NO roads
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    bigbulldog wrote: »
    That's good news.:)

I take it public footpaths are ok,but NO roads
    Yes - footpaths, shops..............as long as I can float across roads !
  • bigbulldog
    bigbulldog Posts: 632
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    Yes - footpaths, shops..............as long as I can float across roads !

I would imagine pelican lights etc are ok,but what about just crossing the roads.????
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    bigbulldog wrote: »
    I would imagine pelican lights etc are ok,but what about just crossing the roads.????
    I will probably risk it !!
  • datostar
    datostar Posts: 1,287
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Pavements etc. are part of the public highway, as distinct from being part of the public road. If an insurance company told me that any form of powered transport could not be used on the public highway I would seek urgent clarification from them on this point.
  • I've just checked with Direct Line re. my wife's new mobility scooter. It's covered by the contents part, up to £2000 for theft, flood, fire etc, & includes storage in the garage etc. We also have 'away from home cover' so it's fully covered outside, and includes £2m public liability. So as far as I understand our requirements (perhaps naively, being new to this), we're sorted. Only thing not covered is breakdown, but she has me & other family at the end of her mobile to sort that out quicker than any breakdown company. Hope this saves someone a few bob. Perhaps some of you don't actually need the specific policy you've bought specially.
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    I was going to ask about breakdown. My current policy is £120 pa but includes everything. Will be worth shopping around when it's due for renewal. LV would cover on my home insurance but not if I used the scooter on the road.
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure