Drydens -repossession repayments

Hi all

Firstly apologies if I've posted this in the wrong section of the boards.

Long story short, I had a repossession with my ex partner in 2007. I accepted this at the time, although looking back, there were circumstances in which I don't think halifax acted fairly and I wish I'd contested it, anyway that's irrelevant now.

The debt (approx 23k iirc) was passed to Drydens, who sent me annual income and expenditure forms to complete and I agreed to pay £100 pm towards this debt. As from 2011 I haven't had any contact from Drydens, no income and expenditure forms, statements, or general correspondence, although this standing order is still taken from my account each month without fail. My circumstances have changed since then and I do not have as much disposable income as I had then. My question is do I contact Drydens for an income and expenditure forms, and a statement of balance? I have no idea if my ex partner has paid anything towards this debt, although I seriously doubt it, although I accept that this debt is partly mine so I'm not trying to 'dodge' it as such. I just don't want to open up a can of worms by making contact blindly.

I hope someone can help, and thanks for taking the time to read.

Claire

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,870 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    So this was a mortgage shortfall then yes ?.
    If you were both named on the mortgage, then you are equally liable for the full amount.
    Its no longer a secured debt though, as the house was repossessed, it can be treated like any other consumer credit debt.
    If you are struggling to make the £100 per month payment, then the only realistic thing you can do is contact them and tell them that, ask for the form again, and make your offer of payment.

Is this your only debt, or do you have others ?

Don't pay more than you can afford, it will just lead to more trouble, best to contact them in writing, and ask for a full statement while your at it.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Yes it was mortgage shortfall and this is my only debt, yes. I've been extremely careful over the past 7 years to ensure don't build up any more debt. I guess I better bite the bullet and contact them then.

Thanks so much for the swift reply.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,870 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    clairef123 wrote: »
    Yes it was mortgage shortfall and this is my only debt, yes. I've been extremely careful over the past 7 years to ensure don't build up any more debt. I guess I better bite the bullet and contact them then.

Thanks so much for the swift reply.

There's a lot of info on the National Debt line Website :

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/S/factsheets/Pages/14%20SCOT%20Mortgage%20shortfalls/Default.aspx#
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Hi again

I've received a letter today from Drydensfairfax stating that they've been trying to get in touch with me and if I'm not the person on the letter to get in touch to tell them of my whereabouts etc. First of all this is absolute rubbish as I haven't had any letter, phone call etc from them in the last three years and I've lived at my current address for the past 5, and the same telephone number for 10+.

They've asked me to get in touch re: a personal business matter, obviously relating to the issue in my previous posts. I'm a bit reluctant to do so, as we're weeks away from the completion of a mortgage and the hefty deposit is sitting in my account ready to be paid to the solicitors in the next few weeks. If I was asked to supply bank statements etc, would they try and lay claim to this money?? I was contemplating ignoring the letter till after I'd paid the deposit, but they've said not returning the letter to sender means they assume it's me, and they'll be making further attempts to establish contact after 10 days. As mentioned above, I'm still making payments of 100 pm.

I hope this makes sense and any advice would be greatly appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure